Aching shoulders

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:06:33 GMT, Paul Rose wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > After reading the thread about pins and needles in hands, I thought I'd

ask
> > for advice on the problem I'm experiencing.
> >
> > Having just purchased my bike I took it out for a spin on Saturday and
> > Sunday, just around the local roads. Both rides were of only 10 miles

or
> > so. After about half an hour I experienced an ache across my shoulders,
> > mainly in the centre of my shoulders/base of the neck. After an hour it

was
> > quite painful.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced similar problems and who could offer possible
> > solutions/causes? Possible adjustment of the seat / bars etc? I have
> > adjusted the seat height and angle but haven't tried moving the seat
> > forward. I'm thinking by reducing the reach might help.
> >
> > Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks,

> It might just be the effect of having to hold your head up to see where
> you're going.
>
> Your helmet's not made of lead, is it?
> --
> Michael MacClancy

Hi Michael, It could well be that, especially as my glasses slide down my
nose meaning I tend to hold my head back further than normal. As for asking
if my helmet is made of lead, I don't wear one!

--
Regards, Paul (R)
My Lake District walking site:

Paul Rose wrote:

> It could well be that, especially as my glasses slide
> down my nose meaning I tend to hold my head back further than normal.

That could have a lot to do with it, seriously.

But still a shorter handlebar stem is bound to help more than anything
else if the problem persists. By "shorter", I mean one with less
horizontal extension.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Rose wrote:

> > It could well be that, especially as my glasses slide
> > down my nose meaning I tend to hold my head back further than normal.

> That could have a lot to do with it, seriously.
>
> But still a shorter handlebar stem is bound to help more than anything
> else if the problem persists. By "shorter", I mean one with less
> horizontal extension.
>
> ~PB

Hi Pete, yes holding my head back might well be contributing to it. I have
made some more adjustments to the seat height and I'm hoping to get out on
the moors tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

--
Regards, Paul (R)
My Lake District walking site:
www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

Hi All

Just a quick update on the problems I was having with pain across my
shoulders and neck etc.

I had a play around with the saddle height again, raising it a couple of
inches or so, (heel on pedal, leg stretched, then ball of foot on pedal,
slight bend at the knee etc.) and then went out for a ride round the local
roads. I was riding for about an hour (not sure how far - my computer
stopped registering for some reason! Probably about 10 miles or so).
Experienced no pain across the shoulders, but a little at the base of my
neck. It seems this may have resolved the shoulder problem. Actually, I
would have thought raising the seat would have caused a more arched seating
position but it seems to be the opposite! I also rode without my glasses so
I didn't have the problem of them sliding down my nose, causing me to hold
my head back further than normal. I'll try wearing them next time just to
make sure its the seat adjustment that has solved the problem!

I still feel I might prefer to be in a more upright position when riding so
I might still look at replacing the stem or bars. I will need to seek some
advice from my LBS. Feeling a bit better about the bike now :eek:)

Regards, Paul (R)
My Lake District walking site:
www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

news:[email protected]...

Paul Rose wrote:
> Very helpful!

Thanks. ;-) I do find a more upright position immediately comfortable
but since I never ride any distance on such a beast I can't comment.
I've ridden large (ish) distances on a "normal" road bike with a
typically low riding position and consider the aches and pains to be a
compromise for the aerodynamics and efficiency of the position.

From the brief description of your discomfort, I would suggest that it
comes from a large part of your body weight being taken by the arms. You
will probably find that this improves over time as muscle strength in
the shoulders and neck improves. Do you find yourself "slouching" at
all? Do you ride right down on the drops (Assuming road bars)? If so,
you could try moving your hands up onto the flat part of the bars.

Hope this is a little more helpful.

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Rose wrote:
> > Very helpful!

> Thanks. ;-) I do find a more upright position immediately comfortable
> but since I never ride any distance on such a beast I can't comment.
> I've ridden large (ish) distances on a "normal" road bike with a
> typically low riding position and consider the aches and pains to be a
> compromise for the aerodynamics and efficiency of the position.
>
> From the brief description of your discomfort, I would suggest that it
> comes from a large part of your body weight being taken by the arms. You
> will probably find that this improves over time as muscle strength in
> the shoulders and neck improves. Do you find yourself "slouching" at
> all? Do you ride right down on the drops (Assuming road bars)? If so,
> you could try moving your hands up onto the flat part of the bars.
>
> Hope this is a little more helpful.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon

I don't know if you have read my last posting on this subject. I adjusted
the seat again (raised it a an inch or two) and went for a spin locally - no
problem with aches across my shoulders. I do feel as though I would prefer a
more 'upright' riding position so I might have to look at changing the stem
/ bars. Will ask for advice at my lbs. I don't think aerodynamics would be a
huge problem as I'm hoping most of my riding will be off-road (except when I
might do the c2c this year!). As you also point out, muscle strength should
also improve. As for 'slouching', I am now consciously trying not to do
that!

> Hope this is a little more helpful.<

Very helpful! Thank you ;o)

--

Al C-F wrote:
> I should think that the only time I'll go anywhere feet-first will be
> when I'm in a wooden box.

That sounds like you're baiting the God of bizarre accidents. Take care. ;-)

> Besides, don't you just exchange a neck-chill for a breeze up the
> trouser legs?

It's true that flappy shorts and recumbents dont make for a brilliant
combination. One reason why they wont become "hip" for a while is that
you'll never get the baggy shorts brigade on them.

Jon