Achy Arches

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rex Kerr, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Well, 2 weeks with my new (to me) V-Rex and I'm just elated! My perenium is overjoyed, as are my
    palms, wrists, and neck! But wait... is that a complaint I hear?

    Ever since I started riding this recumbent I've found that I have achy arches after a couple of
    miles of riding. I'm using the same shoes/pedals/cleat adjustment as I previously had on my DF bike,
    but my whole feet just ache mostly centered around the arches! I find that I have to pedal with my
    heels in order to keep going on.

    I've been wondering if I should move my cleats back a little bit, or if I maybe should add some more
    arch support to the shoes...

    Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
    bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position (toe
    out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major

    Any ideas would be appreciated!

    Thanks! -Rex

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Rex Kerr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
    > bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position
    > (toe out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major

    Rex on a Rex! I love it!

    My recommendation: move the cleats as far back as they'll go and then get some custom insoles. Big
    feet (I have size 13) rarely get the arch support they need. I got mine from Rocket7:
    http://www.rocket7.com/ . They've cured my crappy arches.

    Jeff

  3. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    Take a look at http://www.superfeet.com/ . They make a pair for cycling. I have sixe 13 (euro size
    47) and seriously flat feet. They support my feet.

    [email protected] (Rex Kerr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, 2 weeks with my new (to me) V-Rex and I'm just elated! My perenium is overjoyed, as are my
    > palms, wrists, and neck! But wait... is that a complaint I hear?
    >
    > Ever since I started riding this recumbent I've found that I have achy arches after a couple of
    > miles of riding. I'm using the same shoes/pedals/cleat adjustment as I previously had on my DF
    > bike, but my whole feet just ache mostly centered around the arches! I find that I have to pedal
    > with my heels in order to keep going on.
    >
    > I've been wondering if I should move my cleats back a little bit, or if I maybe should add some
    > more arch support to the shoes...
    >
    > Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
    > bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position
    > (toe out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks! -Rex

  4. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    How's your leg extension? When I first started riding my 'bent, I set my seat so that my knee was
    bent, at full extension, about the same amount as it had been on an upright. This gave me lots of
    little aches and pains. I moved the seat forward a bit so that my knee was bent a bit more at full
    extension (but I can still straighten it to 'lock' and rest, by dropping my heel at a coast) and
    this took care of a lot of foot aches.

    Sj