Achy Arches

Rex Kerr

Guest
Well, 2 weeks with my new (to me) V-Rex and I'm just elated! My perenium is overjoyed, as are my
palms, wrists, and neck! But wait... is that a complaint I hear?

Ever since I started riding this recumbent I've found that I have achy arches after a couple of
miles of riding. I'm using the same shoes/pedals/cleat adjustment as I previously had on my DF bike,
but my whole feet just ache mostly centered around the arches! I find that I have to pedal with my
heels in order to keep going on.

I've been wondering if I should move my cleats back a little bit, or if I maybe should add some more
arch support to the shoes...

Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position (toe
out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks! -Rex

[email protected] (Rex Kerr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
> bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position
> (toe out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major

Rex on a Rex! I love it!

My recommendation: move the cleats as far back as they'll go and then get some custom insoles. Big
feet (I have size 13) rarely get the arch support they need. I got mine from Rocket7:
http://www.rocket7.com/ . They've cured my crappy arches.

Jeff

Take a look at http://www.superfeet.com/ . They make a pair for cycling. I have sixe 13 (euro size
47) and seriously flat feet. They support my feet.

[email protected] (Rex Kerr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, 2 weeks with my new (to me) V-Rex and I'm just elated! My perenium is overjoyed, as are my
> palms, wrists, and neck! But wait... is that a complaint I hear?
>
> Ever since I started riding this recumbent I've found that I have achy arches after a couple of
> miles of riding. I'm using the same shoes/pedals/cleat adjustment as I previously had on my DF
> bike, but my whole feet just ache mostly centered around the arches! I find that I have to pedal
> with my heels in order to keep going on.
>
> I've been wondering if I should move my cleats back a little bit, or if I maybe should add some
> more arch support to the shoes...
>
> Info: Specialized Rockhopper shoes (size 14) Speedplay Frogs w/ 1/2" longer spindles Shoe mounting
> bracket ground down to allow the bracket to rotate enough to ride in a natural feeling position
> (toe out) Insoles added to shoes for some arch support, though not major
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks! -Rex

How's your leg extension? When I first started riding my 'bent, I set my seat so that my knee was
bent, at full extension, about the same amount as it had been on an upright. This gave me lots of
little aches and pains. I moved the seat forward a bit so that my knee was bent a bit more at full
extension (but I can still straighten it to 'lock' and rest, by dropping my heel at a coast) and
this took care of a lot of foot aches.

Sj