Ack!!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Just had lunchbreak - switched google box on - Channel 4. Advert for programme soon to be screened
    "Full Metal Challenge" - a sort of scrapheap challenge international to make "extreme" vehicles.
    Actually looks fun. But then .... and it did my blood pressure no good at all ;-) ... programme
    verabbly described as.... "road-rage Olympics" AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH! It's even described as that in the
    Channel 4 listings. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! How utterly crass and stupid. Yet more encouragement
    and glorification of road-rage - like we need that!

    GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!

    Cheers, helen s

    (blood pressure now returning to normal)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    > as.... "road-rage Olympics" AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH! It's even described as that
    in
    > the Channel 4 listings. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! How utterly crass and
    stupid.
    > Yet more encouragement and glorification of road-rage - like we need that!
    >
    > GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!

    So which event are you going in for?

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Yet more encouragement and glorification of road-rage - like we need that!

    I think things like this and the Top Gear event are Good Things! People can vent their aggression
    and get their speed thrills, etc. away from the public roads. Once they've had their kicks, or know
    they can get them easily elewhere, they may be more content to drive properly where it matters.
    We'll need more and more of these sort of activities and race tracks as the roads get more congested
    and regulated.

    ~PB

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > > Yet more encouragement and glorification of road-rage - like we need that!
    >
    > I think things like this and the Top Gear event are Good Things! People can vent their aggression
    > and get their speed thrills, etc. away from the public roads. Once they've had their kicks, or
    > know they can get them easily elewhere, they may be more content to drive properly where it
    > matters. We'll need more and more of these sort of activities and race tracks as the roads get
    > more congested and regulated.

    Agreed, in principle. I used to race pro karts, and got out on the road and trundled about at a
    proper speed. No anger to vent.

    However, there's loads of people who will go and do it on the roads though. Just like the
    motorcyclists who go to kill themselves in North Wales and West Ireland on public roads.

    My best thing was to sell my car and cycle all the time. When I have to drive nowadays, I
    trundle along. :)

  5. In article <[email protected]>, pLime {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > > Yet more encouragement and glorification of road-rage - like we need that!
    >
    > I think things like this and the Top Gear event are Good Things! People can vent their aggression
    > and get their speed thrills, etc. away from the public roads. Once they've had their kicks, or
    > know they can get them easily elewhere, they may be more content to drive properly where it
    > matters. We'll need more and more of these sort of activities and race tracks as the roads get
    > more congested and regulated.

    I don't think it is the event itself here which is objectionable but the description of it as the
    "road-rage Olympics" Insidiously suggesting that there is some competitive aspect to road rage to be
    celebrated. Who can rage the most? Perhaps they could have an event where a child's trailer is used
    as a target for high-speed reversing?

    Colin

  6. >So which event are you going in for?

    :) Avenging raging paving slab fairy sounds about my event :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. >I think things like this and the Top Gear event are Good Things! People can vent their aggression
    >and get their speed thrills, etc. away from the public roads.

    Pete - I don't disagree - I put in my original posting that the prog looked fun. What I really,
    really don't like is the emphasis on "road-rage Olympics" - road rage isn't fun - it's nasty,
    selfish and those that have suffered from it being aimed at them have, in some cases, paid with
    their life. Such a fun thing as the programme shouldn't need such *nasty* hype to keep it fun.

    > We'll need more and more of these sort of activities and race tracks as the roads get more
    > congested and regulated.

    I agree. But I still think marketing the prog as "road-rage Olympics" sends the wrong message.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > I agree. But I still think marketing the prog as "road-rage Olympics"
    sends the
    > wrong message.

    According to digiguide ...

    "Cathy Rogers and Henry Rollins present the global team game show to discover the fastest, most
    versatile vehicle in a series of four-wheel challenges. Teams from Chile, Chicago and Surrey pit
    their machines in a series of fairground-themed tasks."

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > What I really, really don't like is the emphasis on "road-rage Olympics" - road rage isn't fun -
    > it's nasty, selfish and those that have suffered from it being aimed at them have, in some
    > cases, paid with their life. Such a fun thing as the programme shouldn't need such *nasty* hype
    > to keep it fun.

    But if it's done with enough humour, irony and knowingness, it shouldn't actually encourage anyone
    to road-rage on the public roads. However, any celebration of this type of thing at all is indeed
    questionable - I'm not quite sure what I think about it. We seem to be at the start of a new
    gladiatorial age where it is completely acceptable to be "bad" without /really/ being bad! I can
    deal with it (I think!), but can everyone?

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > I don't think it is the event itself here which is objectionable but the description of it as the
    > "road-rage Olympics" Insidiously suggesting that there is some competitive aspect to road rage to
    > be celebrated.

    Fair point. Celebrating road rage is indeed a bit sick!

    ~PB

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I agree. But I still think marketing the prog as "road-rage Olympics"
    > sends the
    > > wrong message.
    > >

    > According to digiguide ...
    >
    > "Cathy Rogers and Henry Rollins present the global team game show to discover the fastest, most
    > versatile vehicle in a series of four-wheel challenges. Teams from Chile, Chicago and Surrey pit
    > their machines in a series of fairground-themed tasks."

    Henry Rollins? Cathy Rogers used to be in a band too, Marine Research. I bet she's glad she didn't
    give up the day job, she's now an executive producer on the Junkyard/Scrapheap series and must be
    well minted. Don't know what happened to the band.

    Colin

  12. In article <[email protected]>, pLime {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > > What I really, really don't like is the emphasis on "road-rage Olympics" - road rage isn't fun -
    > > it's nasty, selfish and those that have suffered from it being aimed at them have, in some
    > > cases, paid with their life. Such a fun thing as the programme shouldn't need such *nasty* hype
    > > to keep it fun.
    >
    > But if it's done with enough humour, irony and knowingness, it shouldn't actually encourage anyone
    > to road-rage on the public roads. However, any celebration of this type of thing at all is indeed
    > questionable - I'm not quite sure what I think about it. We seem to be at the start of a new
    > gladiatorial age where it is completely acceptable to be "bad" without /really/ being bad! I can
    > deal with it (I think!), but can everyone?

    I'll probably watch the first one just to see. I enjoyed Scrapheap Challenge but more from an
    engineering point of view. This one sounds, from the brief bits I've read, to be playing down the
    engineering in favour of the autosport, mixing in a bit of Robot Wars. I'm not particularly a fan of
    any autosport and Robot Wars seems to be far two ludicrous these days.

    Has there ever been a cycle equivalent of this sort of stuff? A great egg race with Adam Hart-Davis
    sort of thing?

    Colin

  13. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:15:24 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has there ever been a cycle equivalent of this sort of stuff? A great egg race with Adam
    > Hart-Davis sort of thing?

    Crumbs, two mentions of AHD in one minute. Anyone else get the impression there aren't enough
    well-known cyclists?

    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  15. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Jon Snow (the C4 newsreader).

    Jo Moore was Stephen Byers' spin doctor who was burried under bad news (or something like
    that), Angus.

    Peter

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote (of Adam Hart-Davies): ( Crumbs, two mentions of
    > > AHD in one minute. Anyone else get the
    > impression
    > > ) there aren't enough well-known cyclists?
    > >
    > > "Jo Moore".
    >
    > who?

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Snow (the C4 newsreader).
    >
    > Jo Moore was Stephen Byers' spin doctor who was burried under bad news (or something like
    > that), Angus.

    Wasn't she buried to provide a cover for some really bad news to be released ?

  17. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > "Full Metal Challenge It's time for the road rage Olympics. Cathy Rogers, from Junkyard Wars,
    and
    > Hollywood hard man Henry Rollins set out to find the toughest, fastest,
    most
    > versatile vehicles out there as three teams battle it out in a series of fairground-themed
    > challenges."
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Pretty irresponsible of them, yup. As you say though, looks fun! I presume that they get a bunch of
    kids with no social responsibility to write these things ...

    Can you also explain the paving slab stuff, I've tried on Google and found old stuff about it. But
    do tell the whole story ... is it about a canal?

    Nick

  18. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Can you also explain the paving slab stuff, I've tried on Google and found old stuff about it. But
    > do tell the whole story ... is it about a canal?

    Do you wear bibshorts? If so -- be afraid -- be very afraid.

    Originally, however, it was a proposed method of testing the effectiveness of cycle h*lm*ts.