Acrobatic POB

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Thompson, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Whilst I was pulling away from a junction, an common garden unlit POB
    popped off the pavement and tucked himself between me and the roadie in
    front. Relatively slow speed (heavy traffic) encouraged POB to keep pace,
    his legs a frantic blur as he didn't change up (why can't they work the
    gears?). All very standard and quite amusing so far.

    Now he's at top speed - it's physically impossible for his legs to spin any
    faster when *disaster* POB's cap blows off. At full leg-whirring speed he
    slams on the back brake, doing a perfect 180 degree turn before catching
    the front wheel on the curb (okay, not that perfect then) and launching
    himself over the handlebars (tho somehow he still managed to land on his
    feet - just).

    Very Impressed. Can't ride for toffee, but it took a fair amount of skill
    to pull the crash off without eating tarmac. Don't underestimate the POBs!

    Tags:

  2. I had one in front of me yesterday swing right, apparently to follow
    the road round the bend.I turned left into the side road.As I did he
    suddenly swung left120deg to go back the way he came and dive into an
    alley, missing me by an inch, to the amazement of both of us.
    I presume when they are not cycling these guys are driving.An awful
    thought.
    TerryJ

  3. Not as good at the acrobatic ones, but I was riding along a road
    passing someone on the pavement doing about 20mph, in very low gear and
    wobbling all over the place. Think I must have distracted him as I
    went past because he hit either his handlebar or pedal on a lamp post
    and fell off with a bang - luckily not into the main road.

  4. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    Mark Thompson <[email protected]> of NTL wrote:
    >Very Impressed. Can't ride for toffee, but it took a fair amount of skill
    >to pull the crash off without eating tarmac. Don't underestimate the POBs!

    I'm scared of them. There are quite a few POBs on pavements around
    Manchester. They weave in and out of the pedestrians, slowing down and
    speeding up as conditions allow. In the meantime I'm pottering slowly along
    on the road, which generally means we about keep pace. Every time there's a
    side road or a driveway or pedestrians on the footpath I know that the POB
    on the pavement is likely to dive out into the road, without looking, and
    hit me. I try to lose them by speeding up or slowing down but it doesn't
    always work.
    --
    Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have learned
    when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee. W.S. Krabill