ACRS: Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety: 9 June 2006, Melbourne



cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
0
0
Information about a upcoming ACRS national conference in Melbourne. This is **exactly** the sort of event local cyclists should either some input or a representative. Small point: $200 for registration for non-ACRS
members. Still worthwhile? ;)

*******************************
Australasian College of Road Safety National Conference: Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety: 9 June 2006, Parliament House, Melbourne
Further conference information:
http://www.acrs.org.au/activitiesevents/
http://www.acrs.org.au/srcfiles/ACRS-Conference-Program.pdf

From the site: The well-being of a society is critically linked to the health and safety of its citizens. Both Government and non-government agencies urge communities to become more socially engaged and more active physically. As well as the individual benefits that accrue, the result is a healthier and more socially cohesive society.

Cycling and walking are both excellent ways of improving physical capability and health. Unlike motorised forms of transport, they make no contribution to environmental pollution, free up available road space and provide opportunities for group participation. However with increased levels of cycling and walking, the potential risk of involvement in a serious road crash also increases. Each year on Australia's roads, over 250 pedestrians and cyclists die in crashes involving motor vehicles and some ten times this number are seriously injured.
 
cfsmtb said:
Information about a upcoming ACRS national conference in Melbourne. This is **exactly** the sort of event local cyclists should either some input or a representative. Small point: $200 for registration for non-ACRS
members. Still worthwhile? ;)

*******************************
Australasian College of Road Safety National Conference: Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety: 9 June 2006, Parliament House, Melbourne
Further conference information:
http://www.acrs.org.au/activitiesevents/
http://www.acrs.org.au/srcfiles/ACRS-Conference-Program.pdf

From the site: The well-being of a society is critically linked to the health and safety of its citizens. Both Government and non-government agencies urge communities to become more socially engaged and more active physically. As well as the individual benefits that accrue, the result is a healthier and more socially cohesive society.

Cycling and walking are both excellent ways of improving physical capability and health. Unlike motorised forms of transport, they make no contribution to environmental pollution, free up available road space and provide opportunities for group participation. However with increased levels of cycling and walking, the potential risk of involvement in a serious road crash also increases. Each year on Australia's roads, over 250 pedestrians and cyclists die in crashes involving motor vehicles and some ten times this number are seriously injured.
Question: do we know who is in this College from advocacy groups?

BV
AGF
BPF etc

membership is open to the Public too, in various categories and anyone with a concession card can go for $60 (it seems)...

Apart from one session, seems mainly focussed on trauma and after the fact stuff, but one very good outline "Tom Triggs-“Behavioural Challenges and Issues relating to Vulnerable Road Users: Pedestrians and Bicyclists” Looks the go.

Will mull this if I can make it will do so...also will join this college and stay in the loop..maybe I can be a retiree who works less that 10 hours a week... just have to find out how I can make it up with the other 80 hours...oh yeah sleep (wots dat?).
 
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 12 May 2006 12:14:03 +1000
rooman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Apart from one session, seems mainly focussed on trauma and after the
> fact stuff, but one very good outline "tom triggs--“behavioural
> challenges and issues relating to vulnerable road users: pedestrians
> and bicyclists” -looks the go.
>


Might be worth going to the trauma sessions too. The docs don't know
what happens, just what they see when someone's on a gurney. Talking
about how crashes happen, angles, road furniture, things people are
carrying on their persons, how people fall, that sort of thing, is
helpful to them.

and in NSW at least, the college of trauma surgeons is very interested
in improving road design and traffic situations for cycles and
motorcycles as they want to see fewer smashed up bodies. and are very
interested in what causes the damage they see.

Road surface, roadside furniture, car protrusions, bad intersection
design... Trauma docs might be very useful allies.

Zebee
 
Zebee Johnstone said:
snip..
... Trauma docs might be very useful allies.

Zebee
Agree, actually have many docs as riders here in Melb, along with senior police, QC's , Judge...

I spoke to AGF today and they will be represented at the Conference...

Methinks that WoJ must join and be active...( looks like WoJ now has to start generating working funds from various outings....to keep a presence in this kind of non-profit activity...

But really, as many people outside the beaurocrats as possible should be at this event from aus.bic etc and advocacy groups, we have to meet face to face with the movers shakers and see who are dead wood and who can make things happen...
 
On 2006-05-12, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> Might be worth going to the trauma sessions too. The docs don't know
> what happens, just what they see when someone's on a gurney. Talking
> about how crashes happen, angles, road furniture, things people are

....
> Road surface, roadside furniture, car protrusions, bad intersection
> design... Trauma docs might be very useful allies.


In related news, and I don't know how much I should say, but it seems
that the Y-junction from Bridge Rd at Church street/Burwood Rd with
the tram tracks, is about to become *a lot* more cycle friendly.
Complete with 90 degree paths across the tram tracks that I didn't
think were possible.

<Excitable cleaning Kevin guy>I'm excited!</Kevin>

--
TimC
Your powerful weapons are no match for our puny brains.
 
TimC wrote:

> On 2006-05-12, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
>>Might be worth going to the trauma sessions too. The docs don't know
>>what happens, just what they see when someone's on a gurney. Talking
>>about how crashes happen, angles, road furniture, things people are

>
> ...
>
>>Road surface, roadside furniture, car protrusions, bad intersection
>>design... Trauma docs might be very useful allies.

>
>
> In related news, and I don't know how much I should say, but it seems
> that the Y-junction from Bridge Rd at Church street/Burwood Rd with
> the tram tracks, is about to become *a lot* more cycle friendly.
> Complete with 90 degree paths across the tram tracks that I didn't
> think were possible.
>
> <Excitable cleaning Kevin guy>I'm excited!</Kevin>
>


OH good. I dont like that intersection much. Going east one gets either
pushed to the curb as the traffic turning up church tightens into you,
or you have to hit the tram tracks at less than the ideal angle.

THat intersection can only get better for cyclists. :)

Dave