Active.com race registration

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Imken, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Imken

    Imken Guest

    Anyone using ACTIVE.COM to register for a race should read the legal stuff very carefully. Note the
    very last line,

    "Active reserves the right to charge fees, surcharges and/or membership fees at any time."

    This leaves you open to all sorts of extra charges so use caution. It is now my understanding that
    when you register you become a member subject to $4.17 monthly fee and you will be billed this
    amount on an annual basis. I did not know this when I registered or was too illiterate to extract
    it from the small text. This is over and above the entry fee. Some may want this and some may not.

    Too me, this is a cheap trick but if you do want what they offer it might be a good deal for you.

    I received a billing notice for this amount several months after signing up for an Ironman event
    that required me to register through them. I telephoned the number supplied with the billing notice
    but it was useless and I could not get through. I sent e-mail to their address telling them not to
    bill me but I have not received any return info. Perhaps there is a check valve in the system with
    one way flow.

    Tags:

  2. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    I have to agree... I've used Active.com about 7-8 times and have noticed how misleading the check
    out seems to be... if you don't watch it, you'll be signed up as a member of something you may not
    want to be a member of - Active.com.

    The service is good and makes it easy to sign up for triathlons... I just wish they used less
    misleading tactics to get people to pay for things that they may not want/need.

    Joe Moya

    "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone using ACTIVE.COM to register for a race should read the legal stuff very carefully. Note
    > the very last line,
    >
    > "Active reserves the right to charge fees, surcharges and/or membership fees at any time."
    >

    > This leaves you open to all sorts of extra charges so use caution. It is now my understanding
    > that when you register you become a member subject to $4.17 monthly fee and you will be billed
    > this amount on an annual basis. I did not know this when I registered or was too illiterate to
    > extract it from the small text. This is over and above the entry fee. Some may want this and
    > some may not.
    >
    > Too me, this is a cheap trick but if you do want what they offer it might be a good deal for you.
    >

    > I received a billing notice for this amount several months after signing up for an Ironman event
    > that required me to register through them. I telephoned the number supplied with the billing
    > notice but it was useless and I could not get through. I sent e-mail to their address telling
    > them not to bill me but I have not received any return info. Perhaps there is a check valve in
    > the system with one way flow.

  3. Imken

    Imken Guest

    I have, since posting this, received acknowledgement of my removal from their membership list. Many
    folks might like what they offer.

    "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone using ACTIVE.COM to register for a race should read the legal stuff very carefully. Note
    > the very last line,
    >
    > "Active reserves the right to charge fees, surcharges and/or membership
    fees
    > at any time."
    >

    > This leaves you open to all sorts of extra charges so use caution. It
    is
    > now my understanding that when you register you become a member subject to $4.17 monthly fee and
    > you will be billed this amount on an annual basis. I did not know this when I registered or was
    > too illiterate to extract it
    from
    > the small text. This is over and above the entry fee. Some may want
    this
    > and some may not.
    >
    > Too me, this is a cheap trick but if you do want what they offer it might
    be
    > a good deal for you.
    >

    > I received a billing notice for this amount several months after signing
    up
    > for an Ironman event that required me to register through them. I telephoned the number supplied
    > with the billing notice but it was useless and I could not get through. I sent e-mail to their
    > address telling them not to bill me but I have not received any return info. Perhaps there is
    > check valve in the system with one way flow.

  4. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (jkmsg) wrote:

    > I have to agree... I've used Active.com about 7-8 times and have noticed how misleading the check
    > out seems to be... if you don't watch it, you'll be signed up as a member of something you may not
    > want to be a member of - Active.com.
    >
    > The service is good and makes it easy to sign up for triathlons... I just wish they used less
    > misleading tactics to get people to pay for things that they may not want/need.

    I didn't find it confusing at all. You just have to make sure you read what you're agreeing to.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson