Active recovery between two stages in one day

James Dalton

Jul 22, 2003
I am racing in a 3 stage race in a couple of weeks and two of the stages are in one day with about two hours between the finish of one stage and the start of the next.

The first stage is about 50kms and the second around 75km.

I am interested in what type of recovery would be best for this time frame in the middle in terms of things like active recovery, stretching, eating and hydration.

James Dalton said:
I am racing in a 3 stage race in a couple of weeks and two of the stages are in one day with about two hours between the finish of one stage and the start of the next.

I am interested in what type of recovery would be best for this time frame in the middle in terms of things like active recovery, stretching, eating and hydration.
I've never had to do this, but here's what I'd do:

Right after finish, lay down with legs elevated for 10 minutes. Do some self-massage then, or better yet get a 10-15 min sports massage if that is available. Follow by sports drink and food. Enough carbs with some protein...you know what you need here. Next would be a short nap: 20-30 minutes. Then, light stretching, walk around and into warmup.

dhk said:
I've never had to do this, but here's what I'd do:

Right after finish, lay down with legs elevated for 10 minutes. Do some self-massage then, or better yet get a 10-15 min sports massage if that is available. Follow by sports drink and food. Enough carbs with some protein...you know what you need here. Next would be a short nap: 20-30 minutes. Then, light stretching, walk around and into warmup.

Yeah sounds like the right thing to do.
As the stages are short Im going to assume they are very intense so a cool down is very important as is the need to stay carb'd up and hydrated.

I recently did a 3 day event with 2 stages on day one. A120Km stage then a 30km crit... I think the best thing was to sit in bed with a bottle and try to sleep for an hour! I also put in some protein in with my carb drinks... and had some glutamine at the end of each stage!

Chris

James Dalton said:

Along with the other suggestions, make sure you stay hydrated and fueled properly during the first stage so you're not trying to dig your self out of a hole in only 2 hours.