Actual MTB frame advice wanted

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spademan O----L, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. This is the fault of whoever pasted the link to on-one about a week ago. At the moment I have an
    Orange Vitamin T which has been re-welded numerous times around the BB and is now showing a hairline
    crack again. This bike isn't my main bike, it got retired then brought back to life with spares etc,
    and so I only use it for short local rides along canal towpaths etc. Its been at the back of my mind
    for a while to actually replace the frame, but, quite frankly, I couldn't be arsed.

    Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version of
    the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml> Not only that, but the price is
    going up by £100 on the 1st of April, so now my aimless "I'll buy a frame at some point" could cost
    me £100 nicker, so I've decided to make my mind up. If I go for the on-one, I pretty much have to
    order it this weekend.

    To be honest I'm a bit put off by the de-kerf style rear seat stays. They may have advantages (mud
    clearance), but surely they will be weaker than a frame that uses a wishbone or normal stays? I'm
    hesitant as the last frame always cracked around the weld.

    To compare things, I always thought I would buy a rock lobster Ti frame, as they are dead cheap,
    have been around forever, seem like a pretty simple design and are sold through merlin cycles just
    up the road: <https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/index.asp>

    Has anyone got anything to add? And no I don't want to get a singlespeed thanks, I already have one,
    its got 20" wheels.

    Steve E.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  3. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:15:49 -0000, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]>
    blathered:

    >Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version
    >of the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml>

    It's a ti version of the Inbred BTW, not the Gimp, which is more a jump/mucjabout style bike. The
    geared steel Inbred is a good all day XC machine; I did a two day trip through the Lakes yesterday &
    the day before on mine.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  4. "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is the fault of whoever pasted the link to on-one about a week ago. At the moment I have an
    > Orange Vitamin T which has been re-welded numerous times around the BB and is now showing a
    > hairline crack again. This bike isn't my main bike, it got retired then brought back to life
    > with spares etc, and so I only use it for short local rides along canal towpaths etc. Its been
    > at the back of my mind for a while to actually replace the frame, but, quite frankly, I couldn't
    > be arsed.
    >
    > Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version
    > of the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml> Not only that, but the price
    > is going up by £100 on the 1st of April, so now my aimless "I'll buy a frame at some point" could
    > cost me £100 nicker, so I've decided to make my mind up. If I go for the on-one, I pretty much
    > have to order it
    this
    > weekend.
    >
    > To be honest I'm a bit put off by the de-kerf style rear seat stays. They may have advantages (mud
    > clearance), but surely they will be weaker than a frame that uses a wishbone or normal stays? I'm
    > hesitant as the last frame always cracked around the weld.
    >
    > To compare things, I always thought I would buy a rock lobster Ti frame,
    as
    > they are dead cheap, have been around forever, seem like a pretty simple design and are sold
    > through merlin cycles just up the road: <https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/index.asp>
    >
    > Has anyone got anything to add? And no I don't want to get a singlespeed thanks, I already have
    > one, its got 20" wheels.
    >
    > Steve E.

    Right thats gone and done it, I've put an order in for an 18" which are out of stock ATM.

    Its all your fault, no-one told me anything bad so when the frames a pile-o-crap I'll be round to
    each and every one of your houses pointing my finger and tutting my head.

    This is Usenet - I don't have to be responsible for my own actions anymore.

    Steve E.