Actually better or not?

bhavesh90

Jul 17, 2010
Someone told me if I’m buying a cycle, buy one with disc brakes cos they’re awesome. I’m buying a Cannondale and in most cases the models with disc brakes are considerably more expensive than the models with V brakes which obviously implies that discs are better. Can anyone tell me whether disc brakes are actually better or not?

It depends. It's impossible to say whether they're absolutely better or not. What kind of cycling do you do and think you'll be doing?

alienator said:
It depends. It's impossible to say whether they're absolutely better or not. What kind of cycling do you do and think you'll be doing?

I mostly do Road cycling...But now I've planned to buy a Cannondale for Mountain riding purpose!

bhavesh90 said:
I mostly do Road cycling...But now I've planned to buy a Cannondale for Mountain riding purpose!

DEFINITELY spring for discs on a mountain bike. They dissipate heat quicker, and when they get wet, they will also dry quicker. Not to mention, disc brakes just flat-out stop better.

With v-brakes, the gases from the friction and heat built up between the wheel and the brakepad can't escape as well as with disc brakes, and this results in the loss of braking force. Your brake pads overheat and lose their braking capabilities. It's the equivalent of driving your car and making more than a few panic-stops in a row. The first few times the car may stop fairly well, but then all of a sudden, your foot is going to the floor and nothing's happening. While this can happen with disc brakes also, it takes longer than if you have drum brakes.

I also personally find it easier to change a tire on a bicycle with disc brakes.

IMO, the only downside to disc brakes is the chance to bend a rotor, but I've never run into that problem.

GT Fanatic said:
DEFINITELY spring for discs on a mountain bike. They dissipate heat quicker, and when they get wet, they will also dry quicker. Not to mention, disc brakes just flat-out stop better.

With v-brakes, the gases from the friction and heat built up between the wheel and the brakepad can't escape as well as with disc brakes, and this results in the loss of braking force. Your brake pads overheat and lose their braking capabilities. It's the equivalent of driving your car and making more than a few panic-stops in a row. The first few times the car may stop fairly well, but then all of a sudden, your foot is going to the floor and nothing's happening. While this can happen with disc brakes also, it takes longer than if you have drum brakes.

I also personally find it easier to change a tire on a bicycle with disc brakes.

IMO, the only downside to disc brakes is the chance to bend a rotor, but I've never run into that problem.

So you mean to say that I can actually go for a bike with Disc's!!!!

bhavesh90 said:
So you mean to say that I can actually go for a bike with Disc's!!!!

My impression from your post is that you already have a road bike, but are looking for a mountain bike, correct? In that case, yes definitely get a bicycle with disc brakes. As for road bikes, I'm sure there are road bikes with disc brakes out there, but I've never seen one, or I just really haven't paid attention to them...

GT Fanatic said:
My impression from your post is that you already have a road bike, but are looking for a mountain bike, correct? In that case, yes definitely get a bicycle with disc brakes. As for road bikes, I'm sure there are road bikes with disc brakes out there, but I've never seen one, or I just really haven't paid attention to them...

Thank you for the suggestion! Cheers !

Yes I do, its a "Cannondale Touring bike". Even I've heard about road bikes that some do have Disc's but even I did not come across such a road bike. I think may be later on we can add it?