Actually missing my mtb

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Haven't been on it much lately. Maybe a couple of years. Fire road trail (local MTB park) is totally packed with hikers now and hard to get down the 2 1/2 mile descent without killing anybody! :D

That and my fork is leaking fluid. I looked into repairing it but the shops want as much to repair it as they do for a new fork, about $300. :(

Looked into a new MTB but it would take $2000 to find the equivalent of the LX/XT components I have. Hopefully I win the lotto so I can afford a new one. :D

But I did find an old video I haven't watched in a while. This was 3 years ago, now it is totally packed all the way around the 5 mile loop and hard to ride with the crowd.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Kakashi
Haven't been on it much lately. Maybe a couple of years. Fire road trail (local MTB park) is totally packed with hikers now and hard to get down the 2 1/2 mile descent without killing anybody! :D

That and my fork is leaking fluid. I looked into repairing it but the shops want as much to repair it as they do for a new fork, about $300. :(

Looked into a new MTB but it would take $2000 to find the equivalent of the LX/XT components I have. Hopefully I win the lotto so I can afford a new one. :D

But I did find an old video I haven't watched in a while. This was 3 years ago, now it is totally packed all the way around the 5 mile loop and hard to ride with the crowd.

Get yourself an MTB, you can opt for a more affordable one, a budget of $400-$600 will give you a good branded MTB. Although not so specialized but functional.

This reminds me of my bike that I am also missing. It's been more than a year or maybe 2 years that I haven't take a ride due to the injury on my leg. And the only reason now for coming to this site is for nostalgia. It's nice to read discussions about biking which reminds me of the good old days when my bike was my best companion since I regularly bike by myself. Maybe before the end of this year, I can buy a new bike.

Get yourself an MTB, you can opt for a more affordable one, a budget of $400-$600 will give you a good branded MTB. Although not so specialized but functional.

Oh, I meant I miss it because I haven't been riding it much lately because none of my friends ride off road so I end up riding the road bikes most of the time.

I have a Trek 8000 that I bought back in 2005 with LX/XT components for $1000. The fork is fine but leaking fluid so I am not sure if i need a new one.

I don't want to buy a new one because it will not have LX/XT level components. And for the price of a new functional MTB, I can get another fork. :D

B2.jpg
DSCN2069_zpsrszzkaiv.jpg
0MTB2009G_zpsecgyuhhr.jpg

This reminds me of my bike that I am also missing. It's been more than a year or maybe 2 years that I haven't take a ride due to the injury on my leg. And the only reason now for coming to this site is for nostalgia. It's nice to read discussions about biking which reminds me of the good old days when my bike was my best companion since I regularly bike by myself. Maybe before the end of this year, I can buy a new bike.

Actually I for myself love BMX cycling more than MTB but you know what's like in the Philippines, people generally think negatively when they see someone middle-aged riding a BMX bike haha, so I settled for an MTB which is just like a bigger BMX, I sometimes lower my seat post mimicking a BMX. But I still do have my old BMX, my youngest son is using it now.

Reactions: Corzhens
Oh, I meant I miss it because I haven't been riding it much lately because none of my friends ride off road so I end up riding the road bikes most of the time.

I have a Trek 8000 that I bought back in 2005 with LX/XT components for $1000. The fork is fine but leaking fluid so I am not sure if i need a new one.

I don't want to buy a new one because it will not have LX/XT level components. And for the price of a new functional MTB, I can get another fork. :D

View attachment 2827 View attachment 2828 View attachment 2829
That's cool, a trek 8000 is a great bike, off-road biking is such a fun activity more so if you've got crazy friends with you.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Yes, been a great bike!

I ride mostly fire roads because we don't really have any forests around her in southern California.

Here is a little sample of my MTB rides. Fire roads but lots of climbing!

0potato.JPG

The video doesn't show the grade like it should, but those are 10% grades and up. :eek:

Actually I for myself love BMX cycling more than MTB but you know what's like in the Philippines, people generally think negatively when they see someone middle-aged riding a BMX bike haha, so I settled for an MTB which is just like a bigger BMX, I sometimes lower my seat post mimicking a BMX. But I still do have my old BMX, my youngest son is using it now.

Your opinion is perfect regarding the culture here. Being a senior, it is the mountain bike for me not really for the comfort but as you said, there are bikes for the young ones and I would be out of context in riding a BMX. I was actually thinking of buying a foldable bike before but again, that issue of generation came into the picture. Those kind of bikes are for the younger generation.

Whoa those are great roads, here we can only ride dirt roads like that in far provinces but still not that long, we don't have it anywhere near the metro. How long are the fire roads in miles or kilometers? Is it 4.5 miles up and another 4.5 miles down or just a total of 4.5miles?

Whoa those are great roads, here we can only ride dirt roads like that in far provinces but still not that long, we don't have it anywhere near the metro. How long are the fire roads in miles or kilometers? Is it 4.5 miles up and another 4.5 miles down or just a total of 4.5miles?

The graph I posted is 4.5 straight up then 4.5 down, 9 round trip.

But that is only one section on the trail. The main section is actually a 5 mile loop, 2.5 up then 2.5 down.

I do the loop 2 or 3 times to get in 10 to 15 miles and some good climbing.

There are several branches and offshoots of the trail that some take to make it interesting but for the most part, after you have done the trails a few times, I just stay on the main trail to get in a quick workout.

The main loop and a graph of my 3 loop ride.

0000double.JPG

Another video I made for a dude I met out there. Shows the trail pretty good. Ride starts at 3:00 in after the interview. :p

The graph I posted is 4.5 straight up then 4.5 down, 9 round trip.

But that is only one section on the trail. The main section is actually a 5 mile loop, 2.5 up then 2.5 down.

I do the loop 2 or 3 times to get in 10 to 15 miles and some good climbing.

There are several branches and offshoots of the trail that some take to make it interesting but for the most part, after you have done the trails a few times, I just stay on the main trail to get in a quick workout.

The main loop and a graph of my 3 loop ride.

View attachment 2832

That's a really good mountain trail and it has 3 loops, and what's good is it has a not too hard of a climb. There's nothing like that here, if we have one, then that trail would be swamped by mountain bikers.

That's a really good mountain trail and it has 3 loops, and what's good is it has a not too hard of a climb. There's nothing like that here, if we have one, then that trail would be swamped by mountain bikers.

Years ago, this trail was swamped by mountain bikers. But within the last few years, the female walkers have taken over. At any given morning, the trail is packed with 200 women walking and walking dogs. Certain times of the day it is safer to ride a bike because of the crowd in the morning and afternoons, too many walkers it's hard to descend.

I would ride MTB more but they enlarged the parking lot, blocked off all the shoulder parking of the streets and put up vending machines to sell parking passes. $3 for 3 hours. :mad:

They actually made a business out of it! Too bad. Only 5 miles from my home but the ride there is crazy dangerous imo with the highway and 50 MPH zones where people drive 80. Couple of cyclists have been killed on this road and I don't like the idea of riding my MTB to this park. Bike lanes but the drivers are half asleep most the time and drive in the bike lanes. Too dangerous for me.

I got a new one, well it's a chucker
Years ago, this trail was swamped by mountain bikers. But within the last few years, the female walkers have taken over. At any given morning, the trail is packed with 200 women walking and walking dogs. Certain times of the day it is safer to ride a bike because of the crowd in the morning and afternoons, too many walkers it's hard to descend.

I would ride MTB more but they enlarged the parking lot, blocked off all the shoulder parking of the streets and put up vending machines to sell parking passes. $3 for 3 hours. :mad:

They actually made a business out of it! Too bad. Only 5 miles from my home but the ride there is crazy dangerous imo with the highway and 50 MPH zones where people drive 80. Couple of cyclists have been killed on this road and I don't like the idea of riding my MTB to this park. Bike lanes but the drivers are half asleep most the time and drive in the bike lanes. Too dangerous for me.

Well, that's the price to pay for progress, lesser trails and places to ride. But 200 women that's great, I was there I'll probably do hiking instead haha.

I recently sold my old GT, because I bought a GTS, and was saving the money but a friend needed some money and sold me one of his bike it's a chucker 3.0, and it's really a bargain at $200. So I guess I'm back with a GTS and a GT.
IMG_20180411_171946.jpg
IMG_20180411_172031.jpg