Ad Bots? What the hell?

TrekFirefighter

Mar 5, 2008
Why are there so many allowed?
And no admin to delete the posts?
Makes getting help here kinda annoying...?
Admin need help?

Back when I thought someone here cared, I volunteered to delete spam if given authority. After reporting spam for weeks. I never received a response. From reading other posts, I know others have made similar offers.

Now, it looks like they have given up completely.

Bikeforums.net is far more active, and spam never stays for more than a few minutes, so I know it can be controlled. Of course, they do it by having dozens of moderators to keep things clean.

I guess the ads can be a bit much, but for $25 you can upgrade and never see ads.

dgregory57 said:
Back when I thought someone here cared, I volunteered to delete spam if given authority. After reporting spam for weeks. I never received a response. From reading other posts, I know others have made similar offers.

Bikeforums.net is far more active, and spam never stays for more than a few minutes, so I know it can be controlled. Of course, they do it by having dozens of moderators to keep things clean.

I guess the ads can be a bit much, but for $25 you can upgrade and never see ads.
There are two problems here: first, the site owner is reluctant to give power to the mods, and doesn't care about spam (or maybe doesn't care about the forum at all for various reasons). Second, the mods themselves, save some like Lim in the GT section, hardly seem to be around. I don't know why they are mods in the first place if they don't have time to do anything about moderating.

TrekFirefighter said:
Why are there so many allowed?
And no admin to delete the posts?
Makes getting help here kinda annoying...?
Admin need help?

Look at the number of ads on this site: not many. That likely translates into less money to do website work. Maybe there's no one that does site maintenance full time. Maybe the admin(s) have other life responsibilities.

dgregory57 said:

Thanks for the tip on Bikeforums.net... took a look and it was nice to get through the site with all the spam (and good content too).

RJBTrek said:
Thanks for the tip on Bikeforums.net... took a look and it was nice to get through the site with all the spam (and good content too).
Agreed. Although there are some terrific and knowledgeable members in here, the apparent disinterest of the admins regarding this problem is intolerable. If the Ad-bots ruin this site, which they are well on their way to doing, I personally think the admins have it coming. Bikeforums.net does not allow this to happen, as spam is immediately sent packing and the spammers banned. I do not want to trash this site but I do not come in here like I used to due to this issue. Maneuvering through the threads is like running an obstacle course and I am quite tired of it.

Cheers,

Brian

alienator said:
Look at the number of ads on this site: not many. That likely translates into less money to do website work. Maybe there's no one that does site maintenance full time. Maybe the admin(s) have other life responsibilities.
Of course this could also be true. However many members have volunteered to clean up this mess with no response from those in charge. This, at least to me, shows a complete disregard for the members here. The real shame is that this is a nice site that has some very knowledgeable folks without the spam.

I'm on bikeforums.net because of the spam here. Plus, I like their regional forums and different sections for different cycling 'lifestyles'.

baj32161 said:
However many members have volunteered to clean up this mess with no response from those in charge. This, at least to me, shows a complete disregard for the members here.

Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. Saying it does is like saying someone's an ass for not waving back at you after you wave at them on your bike. To make such a statement means presuming that you know what is going on inside that other person's head, which is a pretty huge presumption to make.

alienator said:
Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. Saying it does is like saying someone's an ass for not waving back at you after you wave at them on your bike. To make such a statement means presuming that you know what is going on inside that other person's head, which is a pretty huge presumption to make.
What Bollocks

This site has become spam central - bleeding obvious
Many have voluteered to clean it up and keep it clean- No one responds
There are clearly no active moderators or site administration that give a **** - the site has been awash with rubbish threads for months now

When the hosting agreement for this site expires it will simply vanish
And thats a damm shame considering the active community which previously frequented the threads

Maybe one of the h@rdcore rec.bicycles.net people might give enough of a **** about this joint to so something, although I guess they have their USENET, and that's all they want