Adamo Racing Saddle

Captain Crash

Nov 4, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this saddle. I'm interested because at 6'1" and 200 pounds, I have the tendency of larger riders to push back in my saddle to maximize leverage, especially during climbs. This tends to cause discomfort to my sit bones, especially on my left side, presumably from a partial hip dislocation years ago.

According to everything I can find on the subject, the Adamo saddle seems like the cure, since (a) the rear is narrower than my Bontrager saddle, (b) the split front eliminate perineal pressure, and (c) it's designed for folks who shift rear for leverage.

Thank you for your input.

I love my Adamo saddle on my TT bike. Never going back to a normal saddle. But if you're looking for more sit-bone comfort it might not be ideal. From my very personal experience, the saddle design forces you to mostly (if not completely) sit on the the sit-bone area. Mine gets nice and tender after about 1.5 hours on the TT bike.

BUT the tradeoff for not having my boys go numb is priceless. I think I'm slowly adjusting to the excessive sit-bone usage, according to their literature that area/muscles should eventually adjust.

As for adjusting rearward. Not sure about that either, on a TT bike I tend to move forward, and the split works great for eliminating all the perineal pressure.

I have no experience using it on a normal road position, no issues with using a "normal" saddle.

I too use the Adamo on my TT bike. Due to my shifting to the tip of the saddle in TTs the Adamo helps any uncomfortable... prodding... by the end of the saddle.

Have you also looked at the Selle SMPs? Similar design to the Adamo and I find more comfortable for road riding.

I have not checked out the Selle SMPs. But I certainly will. In the meantime, I've learned enough about my ischial tuberosity, my sacrotuberous ligament, and my greater trochanter to make me a truly dangerous man.

Captain Crash said:
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this saddle. I'm interested because at 6'1" and 200 pounds, I have the tendency of larger riders to push back in my saddle to maximize leverage, especially during climbs.

I am 6'5", 195 lbs. and have had similar saddle-related issues. Last October I bought a Koobi PRS Alpha and have been very happy with it. It's similar in shape to the SMP with a gap down the center line.

Just another option to check out.

After investigating the Selle SMP and the Koobi PRS Alpha, one of the two should remedy my problem. Since I don't have any perineal issues, the narrowness of the Selle (129mm) or the wideness of the Koobi (146mm) will tell the tale of my tail. Thanks to your input, the Adamo will be my last resort.

Captain Crash said:
After investigating the Selle SMP and the Koobi PRS Alpha, one of the two should remedy my problem. Since I don't have any perineal issues, the narrowness of the Selle (129mm) or the wideness of the Koobi (146mm) will tell the tale of my tail. Thanks to your input, the Adamo will be my last resort.

To be honest, I think you're going about this with the wrong idea. You want your sit bones to carry everything gravity is pulling into the seat. However, before you can even get to that point, you have to figure out how wide your sit bones are apart. Measure 'em, have someone else measure 'em, or summat. Then take that info and go in search of the saddle.

I completely understand your pain. After breaking my hip, I started riding again six weeks post fracture(s). However, when I started riding, I still had a non-union in one of the hip fractures that couldn't be repaired. That was sore. The key to comfort was the right saddle width, the right profile, and the right foam. I can tell you right now, cushy foam ain't the right foam. Under pressure and heat over a ride, that cushy foam compresses, loses all it's cushiness, leaving your sit bones on the hard base of the seat. Firm foam is where it's at.

Also, don't give up if a saddle isn't lovable in the first go or two. As important as saddle fit is, so is saddle position. You may have to tweak your saddles position a few times to find the sweet spot.

If nothing else, I'll solve this problem by cinderblock/headache logic. If you can forget about a headache by dropping a cinderblock on your foot, I'll get over my cranky keister by giving myself an acute case of option anxiety. The saddle search is officially on!