Adapter for Presta tube in Schrader rim?

Michael Lester

Guest
Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
and I am set in my ways.

I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
and the tube won't last long.

I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
find anything.

Thanks,

Michael

Here's a source for grommets - $0.60 each

http://www.thethirdhand.com/Products/CU-87685.html

Jeff

Michael Lester wrote:
> Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
> Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
> frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
> be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
> and I am set in my ways.
>
> I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
> and the tube won't last long.
>
> I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
> I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
> find anything.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Here's a source for grommets at $0.60 each

Michael Lester wrote:
> Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
> Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
> frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
> be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
> and I am set in my ways.
>
> I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
> and the tube won't last long.
>
> I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
> I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
> find anything.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:06:01 GMT, "Michael Lester"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
>Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
>frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
>be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
>and I am set in my ways.
>
>I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
>and the tube won't last long.
>
>I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
>I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
>find anything.

One known source:

http://tinyurl.com/m6uhj

which should be to the "Rim Grommet" item at

http://www.loosescrews.com/

or you can do as many have done over the years, and just install them
without the bushing; it often works just fine. I've also seen a
close-fitting small washer used around the base of the stem, but in my
experience, it really isn't necessary with a decent tube. I've seen
reports that Presta tubes are sold with such a bushing in some places,
but I've never bought a tube that included one.

For those with more money and paranoia, Wheels Manufacturing makes an
adapter that they call a "Presta Saver" which goes for about $7 per
copy. It's basically an aluminum stepped bushing to match the Presta
stem's OD and the Schrader rim hole's ID.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Michael Lester wrote:
> Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
> Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
> frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
> be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
> and I am set in my ways.
>
> I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
> and the tube won't last long.
>
> I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
> I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
> find anything.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

My wife bought me a can of CO2 and gunk for $1.00 and it had a valve
converter in it. Of course now I can't find it to tell you the brand,
but I really have one, so the valve converter was a freebie.
Bill Baka

"Michael Lester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

>> to have heard of them. They come standard on some of the latest bikes,
>> but not on the tubes when you buy them. I can't understand why they are
>> made any other way, 'cos they can be used either way up i.e. for either
>> valve. 5 bikes in this household and I have drilled all rims to schrader
>> size (23/64 from memory) and use presta valves in them all - much less
>> chance of being caught out if rim can take either. But if you cant find
>> these stepped nuts, or similar here's what to do. Cut a small rectangular
>> strip from a plastic ice cream tub, about length and width of smallest
>> finger. With hole punch make hole tight fit around a presta valve and
>> place around valve before inserting through rim making sure plastic just
>> sits neatly in well in rim. Fit tire as normal then valve retaining nut.
>> Will hold valve firm through hole in rim. Works like a charm.

P.S Main advantage of presta is they are so much easier to pump up -
particularly if using the short pumps which almost certainly will fit your
son's bike. Best pump I've ever used is a real cheapy (Taiwanese I think)
from a Kmart type store. Cost next to nothing and would eat anything I've
used around 6 or 8 times the price. It's a very short pump -. Brand name is
"Bikebits" Just brilliant.

> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Michael Lester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube
>>> in a Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike
>>> (and my frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like
>>> them all to be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't
>>> fit well on it and I am set in my ways.
>>>
>>> I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too
>>> big and the tube won't last long.
>>>
>>> I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am
>>> sure I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair,
>>> I can't find anything.
>>>
>>> I have obtained stepped retaining nuts specially made for the job from a
>>> local friendly bike shop,( they don't even bother charging for them,
>>> they've just swapped them off new bikes in stock) - but most don't seem
>>> to have heard of them. They come standard on some of the latest bikes,
>>> but not on the tubes when you buy them. I can't understand why they are
>>> made any other way, 'cos they can be used either way up i.e. for either
>>> valve. 5 bikes in this household and I have drilled all rims to schrader
>>> size (23/64 from memory) and use presta valves in them all - much less
>>> chance of being caught out if rim can take either. But if you cant find
>>> these stepped nuts, or similar here's what to do. Cut a small
>>> rectangular strip from a plastic ice cream tub, about length and width
>>> of smallest finger. With hole punch make hole tight fit around a presta
>>> valve and place around valve before inserting through rim making sure
>>> plastic just >>> sits neatly in well in rim. Fit tire as normal then
>>> valve retaining nut. Will hold valve firm through hole in rim. Works
>>> like a charm.

> P.S Main advantage of presta is they are so much easier to pump up -
> particularly if using the short pumps which almost certainly will fit your
> son's bike. Best pump I've ever used is a real cheapy (Taiwanese I think)
> from a Kmart type store. Cost next to nothing and would eat anything I've
> used around 6 or 8 times the price. It's a very short pump -. Brand name
> is "Bikebits" Just brilliant.

Just checked - hole in rim should be 21/64. Not 23/64. (memory fading)

Michael Lester wrote:
> Does anybody know where (or if) I can get adapters to fit a Presta tube in a
> Schrader rim? My sons bike has Schrader rims and tubes, my bike (and my
> frame and floor pumps and spare tubes) has Presta. I would like them all to
> be Presta because his bike is small enough that a pump won't fit well on it
> and I am set in my ways.
>
> I know the Presta valve will fit through the hole, but the hole is too big
> and the tube won't last long.
>
> I asked my local bicycle shop, they looked at me like I was nuts. I am sure
> I saw them someplace or heard of them, but now that I need a pair, I can't
> find anything.

If the people at your LBS looked at you like you were nuts, it's time
to find a new LBS. Every bike shop I've ever been in would have either
immediately produced the grommets you're looking for or told you they
could order them for you.

Regards,
Bob Hunt