Adapting front derailleur clamps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
    If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.

    Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Eddie Flayer

    Eddie Flayer Guest

    I had this issue when moving front d from a ti frame to a steel frame. My REI sold me a simple grey
    plastic shim that worked perfectly. It not only did the shimming, it also protected the frame from
    smulching by the derailleur clamp.

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
    > If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

  3. Rb

    Rb Guest

    I don't know of any such adapter, but I think you could make up some metal shims to put under the
    31.8 FD to fit it onto the smaller seat tube size. Try cutting up a Coke can.

    r.b.

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
    > If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

  4. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

  5. Dreamlx10

    Dreamlx10 Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a
    frame
    > that takes a 28.6 mm? If not, any suggestions on how to make it work?
    Thanks
    > in advance.
    >
    > Rob Strickland
    >
    > I used those extra rubber things you get with a cat-eye computer fitting
    kit. You know the ones to accommodate different size forks and handlebars when you fit a computer !

    Graham

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
    > If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

    Like this? http://tinyurl.com/a6pk

    If it were me, I'd just cut a 1/2" piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe and make my own shim.

    Jeff

  7. robert-<< Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes
    a 28.6 mm?

    yes, problem solvers from QBP-a slice of PVC pipe...

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > robert-<< Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes
    > a 28.6 mm?

    The best solution is really to get a new deraileur that is 28.6. Front deraileurs are not that
    expensive (except you know who). I can even sell you my new DA FD-7700, 28.6 clamp for $45 shipped.
    If yours is also DA 7700, we can trade.