Adapting front derailleur clamps

Robert Strickla

Guest
Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.

Rob Strickland

I had this issue when moving front d from a ti frame to a steel frame. My REI sold me a simple grey
plastic shim that worked perfectly. It not only did the shimming, it also protected the frame from
smulching by the derailleur clamp.

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
> If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob Strickland

I don't know of any such adapter, but I think you could make up some metal shims to put under the
31.8 FD to fit it onto the smaller seat tube size. Try cutting up a Coke can.

r.b.

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
> If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob Strickland

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a
frame
> that takes a 28.6 mm? If not, any suggestions on how to make it work?
Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Rob Strickland
>
> I used those extra rubber things you get with a cat-eye computer fitting
kit. You know the ones to accommodate different size forks and handlebars when you fit a computer !

Graham

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes a 28.6 mm?
> If not, any suggestions on how to make it work? Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob Strickland

Like this? http://tinyurl.com/a6pk

If it were me, I'd just cut a 1/2" piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe and make my own shim.

Jeff

robert-<< Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes
a 28.6 mm?

yes, problem solvers from QBP-a slice of PVC pipe...

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> robert-<< Does anyone make an adapter to use a FD with a 31.8 mm clamp size on a frame that takes
> a 28.6 mm?

The best solution is really to get a new deraileur that is 28.6. Front deraileurs are not that
expensive (except you know who). I can even sell you my new DA FD-7700, 28.6 clamp for $45 shipped.
If yours is also DA 7700, we can trade.