add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible??? TIA

aloha

Guest
add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible??? TIA

Hi

I would like to try a 11T on my Ultegra Tripple 2005

Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

It should be possible to add a 11T and drop the 17T / when I look at
Shimano's cassette "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file

??
or am i missing something

my LBS can just order a 11T from shimano?

TIA
mt
netherlands

aloha wrote:
> add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible???

> I would like to try a 11T on my Ultegra Tripple 2005

What chainring sizes are you using? If the big ring is 52 or 53T, I
doubt an 11T cog is going to be very useful.

Art Harris

"aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible??? TIA
>
> Hi
>
> I would like to try a 11T on my Ultegra Tripple 2005
>
> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -
>
> It should be possible to add a 11T and drop the 17T / when I look at
> Shimano's cassette "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file
>
> ??
> or am i missing something

You'll also need a 2nd position 12. Your existing 12 has a built-in spacer
and only works in 1st position.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:26:51 -0700, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible??? TIA
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to try a 11T on my Ultegra Tripple 2005
>>
>> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -
>>
>> It should be possible to add a 11T and drop the 17T / when I look at
>> Shimano's cassette "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file
>>
>> ??
>> or am i missing something
>>

>You'll also need a 2nd position 12. Your existing 12 has a built-in spacer
>and only works in 1st position.

I heard all kind of stories like this (like changing 13 and 14 also?)
but "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file clearly shows a 12T integrated
spacer on a 11-23 / together with a 11T integrated spacer
that's why I am asking

am I reading EV-CS-6600 PDF correct and everybody else is eronous, or
/ is Shimano having bad manuals again

????
thx
mt

aloha wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:26:51 -0700, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >"aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> add an 11T to a Ultegra 12-25/10sp and drop the 17T possible??? TIA
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I would like to try a 11T on my Ultegra Tripple 2005
> >>
> >> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -
> >>
> >> It should be possible to add a 11T and drop the 17T / when I look at
> >> Shimano's cassette "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file
> >>
> >> ??
> >> or am i missing something
> >>

> >You'll also need a 2nd position 12. Your existing 12 has a built-in spacer
> >and only works in 1st position.

> I heard all kind of stories like this (like changing 13 and 14 also?)
> but "EV-CS-6600" exploded view PDF-file clearly shows a 12T integrated
> spacer on a 11-23 / together with a 11T integrated spacer
> that's why I am asking
>
> am I reading EV-CS-6600 PDF correct and everybody else is eronous, or
> / is Shimano having bad manuals again
>
> ????
> thx
> mt

Dear MT,

Sheldon Brown sez . . .

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#10

Consider calling Harris Cyclery, asking them what to do, and buying
whatever parts you need from them.. Sheldon has a sordid history of
putting such things together for money and shamelessly explains the
details on his web site, so he can scarcely complain if the public
pesters his shop with questions and credit card numbers.

Click on the "In West Newton Since 1952 - On The Web Since 1995" link
at the top of the page for telephone and email.

Sheldon is working on something like Batman's Bat-Signal light that can
be projected on the night clouds above West Newton whenever Gotham City
needs bike advice, but the silhouette keeps looking like this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

aloha wrote:
> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
a question...

Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
of.

On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>aloha wrote:
>> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

>Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
>a question...
>
>Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
>52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
>useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
>of.

its for 39x11

BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T

so ...

"aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>aloha wrote:
>>> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

>>Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
>>a question...
>>
>>Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
>>52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
>>useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
>>of.

> its for 39x11
>
> BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T
>
> so ...

Ooh. BAD, BAD IDEA.

Cross-chaining is really bad for your drivetrain. It causes excessive wear
on your chain, cogs, and rings, and you usually can't adjust the FD to not
rub in that position.

I broke a rear derailleur once by cross-chaining. Granted, it was a really
crappy derailleur, but still...

Just say no to cross-chaining. Seriously, dude, you're asking for trouble.
Use your 52/53x15 instead.

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I
>>>have a question...
>>>
>>>Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in
>>>your 52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will
>>>not be a useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be
>>>getting rid of.

>> its for 39x11
>>
>> BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T
>>
>> so ...
>>

> Ooh. BAD, BAD IDEA.
>
> Cross-chaining is really bad for your drivetrain. It causes excessive
> wear on your chain, cogs, and rings, and you usually can't adjust the
> FD to not rub in that position.
>
> I broke a rear derailleur once by cross-chaining. Granted, it was a
> really crappy derailleur, but still...
>
> Just say no to cross-chaining. Seriously, dude, you're asking for
> trouble. Use your 52/53x15 instead.

Hang on...you said you're running a triple, didn't you? OK, chainline
will be better than I thought on middle/small than small/small.

[gildaradner]NEVER-MIND![/gildaradner]

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:12:21 -0500, Hank Wirtz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>

>> "aloha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> its for 39x11
>>>
>>> BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T
>>>
>>> so ...
>>>

>> Ooh. BAD, BAD IDEA.
>>
>> Cross-chaining is really bad for your drivetrain. It causes excessive
>> wear on your chain, cogs, and rings, and you usually can't adjust the
>> FD to not rub in that position.
>>
>> I broke a rear derailleur once by cross-chaining. Granted, it was a
>> really crappy derailleur, but still...
>>
>> Just say no to cross-chaining. Seriously, dude, you're asking for
>> trouble. Use your 52/53x15 instead.
>>

>Hang on...you said you're running a triple, didn't you? OK, chainline
>will be better than I thought on middle/small than small/small.
>
>[gildaradner]NEVER-MIND![/gildaradner]

this is Ultegra Triple 2005 with the narrow 10sp chains
cross-chaining is hardly a problem / that's what makes Shimano proud
about Ultegra

Still no real answer up till now ..

Noone ever tried this???

aloha wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >aloha wrote:
> >> Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

> >Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
> >a question...
> >
> >Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
> >52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
> >useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
> >of.

> its for 39x11

But why not just shift to the 52 x 12 ??

> BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T

Yep. It's for pro racers to use during those critical downhill,
tailwind sprint finishes. And for the boys who want to be just like
them.

- Frank Krygowski

On 27 Jun 2006 20:20:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>aloha wrote:
>> On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
>> >a question...
>> >
>> >Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
>> >52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
>> >useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
>> >of.

>> its for 39x11

>But why not just shift to the 52 x 12 ??
>
>> BTW most Dura Ace start with 11T

>Yep. It's for pro racers to use during those critical downhill,
>tailwind sprint finishes. And for the boys who want to be just like
>them.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Or for me.

I've been plodding happily along for years in 53x11 at about 20 mph on
the flats at a glacial cadence.

It's also nice for my daily downhill, about two miles of 65 mph
highway from the ridge west of town down to the Arkansas.

Of course, I have no objection if people like to spin at 90 rpm just
like racers. I gather that the higher cadence and lighter pressure
work better for longer rides.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 27 Jun 2006 20:20:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>aloha wrote:
>> On 26 Jun 2006 16:35:59 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
>> >a question...
>> >
>> >Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
>> >52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
>> >useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
>> >of.

>> its for 39x11

>But why not just shift to the 52 x 12 ??

shifting And FR And RD at the same time / is no fun

its for shifting in dutch flatlands headwind and you'll stay in 39T
while shifing RD only 11-12-13-14 and back
I'm also a Low Cadence biker / non of that post modern Armstrong
stuff

BTW Armstrong is a Mutant Hare, heard about his Heart Size and Rate?
Mimicking that seems unhealthy

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:12:03 +0200, aloha <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> its for 39x11

>>But why not just shift to the 52 x 12 ??

>shifting And FR And RD at the same time / is no fun
>
>its for shifting in dutch flatlands headwind and you'll stay in 39T
>while shifing RD only 11-12-13-14 and back
> I'm also a Low Cadence biker / non of that post modern Armstrong
>stuff

What kind of shifters are you using?

I am a reasonably high cadence rider and shift a lot. I never find it
difficult to shift both the front and back in rapid succession.

So, it makes me wonder what type of shifters make it difficult. If you
are using downtube levers, that I would agree.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Ron Ruff wrote:
> aloha wrote:
> > Not wanting to buy a whole cassette for testing how this feels -

> Until somebody smart can tell you exactly what you want to know, I have
> a question...
>
> Do you often find yourself pedaling for long periods at 35+mph in your
> 52/12 and wish you had a taller gear? If not, then the 11 will not be a
> useful gear... at least not as useful as the 17 you'll be getting rid
> of.

Hi Ron:

I've already got my SRAM 11-26 hybrid cassette ready for the Natz TT
course:

http://www.7springs.com/bike/images/ttcourse.jpg

My topo software tells me the first big grade is 0.5 mile at 9.5% grade
with pitches over 12%.

I'm trying to come up with a workable Shimano 11-27 which would
be a little lighter. In a CT simulation, min speed was ~9 mph. Max.
was close to 50. There actually is a need for this sort of thing.
Sometimes.
;-)

-jens