General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Added salt intake during marathon

Started by Bob Beckert · · Last activity · 5 posts · 346 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 June 2006
Last activity
12 June 2006
Original author
Bob Beckert
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
346
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I ran the RNR Marathon in San Diego on June 4th and I was surprised to see
    the race directors handing out salt packets to everyone leaving the corrals
    and entering the start line. They also suggested, and passed out, salt
    during the race. What is the current thinking on taking added salt during a
    marathon?

  2. Bob Beckert said:

    I ran the RNR Marathon in San Diego on June 4th and I was surprised to see
    the race directors handing out salt packets to everyone leaving the corrals
    and entering the start line. They also suggested, and passed out, salt
    during the race. What is the current thinking on taking added salt during a
    marathon?


    Salt or other electrolytes are used to keep electrolytes in balance when
    drinking lots of fluids. It's to reduce probability of hyponatremia.
    This is an issue for runners that are out for, say 4 hrs or more, but
    could occur much sooner. There have been deaths in marathons from this -
    too few electrolytes (mostly sodium) for the amount of water and not
    recognizing the symptoms (hence "treatment" aggravated the situation).

    This sort of highlights the important aspects
    http://www.amaasportsmed.org/programs/hyponatremia.pdf

    These go into a little more detail.
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/hyponatremia.html

    You might want to google for hyponatremia and focus on stuff in the last
    couple years regarding hydration and hyponatremia. Some of the past
    issues stemmed from bad advice from some organizations, but I think some
    of that is starting to be clarified. And larger marathons are educating
    runners as well as improving medical help available (like having a
    device to test sodium concentrations in plasma, I think).

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. The stress of marathon running is well known. Dehydration and electrolyte
    imbalance are two of the recognised complications of this sport. In a study
    of collapsed marathon runners, however, investigators noted that
    hypernatraemia with hyperosmolality was equally
    as hypernatraemia

    http://bjo.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/extract/89/7/930

    --
    I smile and go off waving
    (Amiably) - for that's my way

    Baal

    http://www.helden.org.uk
    "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bob Beckert said:

    I ran the RNR Marathon in San Diego on June 4th and I was surprised to
    see the race directors handing out salt packets to everyone leaving the
    corrals and entering the start line. They also suggested, and passed out,
    salt during the race. What is the current thinking on taking added salt
    during a marathon?


    Salt or other electrolytes are used to keep electrolytes in balance when
    drinking lots of fluids. It's to reduce probability of hyponatremia. This
    is an issue for runners that are out for, say 4 hrs or more, but could
    occur much sooner. There have been deaths in marathons from this - too few
    electrolytes (mostly sodium) for the amount of water and not recognizing
    the symptoms (hence "treatment" aggravated the situation).

    This sort of highlights the important aspects
    http://www.amaasportsmed.org/programs/hyponatremia.pdf

    These go into a little more detail.
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/hyponatremia.html

    You might want to google for hyponatremia and focus on stuff in the last
    couple years regarding hydration and hyponatremia. Some of the past issues
    stemmed from bad advice from some organizations, but I think some of that
    is starting to be clarified. And larger marathons are educating runners as
    well as improving medical help available (like having a device to test
    sodium concentrations in plasma, I think).

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  4. "Bob Beckert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ran the RNR Marathon in San Diego on June 4th and I was surprised to
    see the race directors handing out salt packets to everyone leaving the
    corrals and entering the start line.

    You got two good answers already. I'd just like to add, FINALLY, a
    marathon that is coming of age with respect to salt. Hmmmm, I wonder if
    Ozzie has any influence on this?

    -DougF

  5. Bob Beckert said:

    I ran the RNR Marathon in San Diego on June 4th and I was surprised to see
    the race directors handing out salt packets to everyone leaving the corrals
    and entering the start line. They also suggested, and passed out, salt
    during the race. What is the current thinking on taking added salt during a
    marathon?

    Bob, Something I'm curious about something that crossed my mind this
    afternoon. Did they provide salt with no indication of what it was for?
    Nothing in race packet, pre-race meeting, or ...? (I'm not familiar with
    the various marathons, but I've heard people refer to race packets, etc
    where they sometimes provide safety information) I'm just curious from
    the perspective of runner education - either through training or race
    packets or whatever. (I'm asking this from the perspective of someone
    who's not always sure about a lot of things at races, which many people
    just assume the runner knows.)

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.