addicted to wrenching...

Brian Sanderson

Guest
From: "Brian Sanderson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Addicted to wrenching...
Date: July 9, 2005 10:00 AM

My Brother in law...gotta love 'im.

G is a gentleman and a scholar (no, really!) but his mechanical aptitude is
untrained. He found a really nice 24" DS 15 speed in the trash and nicked
it for his 12-yr-old son.

However...

The RS pedal had been stripped (removed, threads damaged, and forcibly
cross-threaded at an angle!), and the chain was really rusty. G figured he
might need a new one. So he called me and came over @ 6 PM with the bike
and son in tow.

The pedal was easy, I just sledged the old one out, then used a largish 15mm
wrench and cheater (and much sweat) to PERMANENTLY (haa haa haa!) affix a
duplicate replacement with UNdamaged threads. It'll probably never come out
again, but as long as it works, right? The chain had one stiff link and a
good soak with penetrating oil (and a little reefing with pliers) freed it
up.

Time 6:15 - job over, right?

Nope.

Once the chain was done, I happen to notice the forward derailleur won't
move. A little lube there. Then I see the cable is stuck; no problem, just
thread and cut a new cable. Then I find the rear brake pads are shot...no
trouble at all! - I have a spare set right here! Uh-oh! The sprockets on
the cassette are all rusted and have broken/chipped teeth...hmmm, I have an
older Shimano 5 cassette that will fix...Boy! does this rear wheel need new
grease!...oooh, better re-center that back brake...Hmmm, that old lock clamp
on the stem is just getting in the way...ya know, these derailleur stops
really need to be re-set...better pump up that rear tire...this wheel has a
warp there and needs a little tweak with a spoke wrench...

G stopped me before I could align the seat and re-pack the front hub (which
didn't really need it); and so I cannot say I did a COMPLETE overhaul on
this bike. By this time it was 8:15 and I think he was afraid that if he
stayed much longer and let me fix "just one more thing", he and his son were
going to be there after dark...

....but I gotta say, it felt good getting my hands dirty. I think my nephew
is really going to enjoy this bike. Just so long as he doesn't leave it out
in the rain and undo all that work...:)

"Brian Sanderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The RS pedal had been stripped (removed, threads damaged,

and forcibly
> cross-threaded at an angle!), and the chain was really

rusty. G figured he
> might need a new one. So he called me and came over @ 6 PM

with the bike
> and son in tow.
>
> The pedal was easy, ... The chain had one stiff link and a
> good soak with penetrating oil (and a little reefing with

pliers) freed it
> up.
>
> Time 6:15 - job over, right?
>
> Nope.
> ...but I gotta say, it felt good getting my hands dirty. I

think my nephew
> is really going to enjoy this bike. Just so long as he

doesn't leave it out
> in the rain and undo all that work...:)

Yeah, it's an addiction, but as addictions go it's not bad.
There are worse.

Golf
Investing in your own bike shop
Getting a boat

just to name three.

In article <1121043144.b149b65e19f1aa49595e65d7b1fb7902@teranews>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:

> Yeah, it's an addiction, but as addictions go it's not bad.
> There are worse.
>
> Golf
> Investing in your own bike shop
> Getting a boat
>
> just to name three.

I think "investing" in a race horse is in there
with the worst.

Growing your own vegetables is one of the best.
mmmmm ... Blue Lake green beans ...

I could also easily get re-addicted to upland
game-fowl hunting. I dunno if that's good or bad,
but it can be pretty delicious. Oh, for a nice &
light, good-quality .410 and a loyal, soft-mouthed
bird dog.

cheers,
Tom

--