Addicted

MaddSkillz

Mar 26, 2007
My wife and I recently bought road bikes (about 2 weeks ago). So far, I've put on about 80 miles or so! I can't stop! Last weekend I put on 40 miles! And only put on about 30 miles this past weekend. I already want another bike! UGH! Here's my current ride.... 2007 Specialized Allez Elite Triple.
422321272_e824d2b565.jpg

I've got to go clipless! My feet keep falling asleep after about 45 minutes on the bike! =(

1. Congratulations and welcome.
2. Do indeed go clipless.
3. Beware, the "I need a new bike" syndrome is very dangerous (and most on this forum have it!).

:D

3. Beware, the "I need a new bike" syndrome is very dangerous (and most on this forum have it!).

:D[/QUOTE]

Very, Very true!

You'll need many more miles and some experience riding in groups if you want another bike. Wait a while. The bike you showed us a picture of is good, and will last for years. Just from personal experience, I would wait about a year or so before jumping at the idea of purchasing another bike. You don't yet know what you want from a bike.

Nice bike you got there!!!!
The same thing is happening to me, heres a pic of my machine:

MaddSkillz said:
....... I already want another bike! UGH! ......
I've got to go clipless! ..... =(
you can always do with another bike...

AND...if you really have the bug try getting measured and getting a custom,

then you will know what real riding is about..

caution about brand name bikes- ( the peleton decal mass produced ones)-coffee shop cred is shallow, its not the brand its the fit that makes a ride!.

I can't help but grit my teeth at the thousand of new riders, and old timers too, who think the new bike has to be a "famous brand". They pay thousands for "brand name" bikes they cant ride, bikes that dont fit them, bikes that wobble at speed or cause pain....

a custom from someone who knows classic bike design - not brand name - is a must in any quiver.....especially if you are going to spend a lot of time on it and/or do some serious racing/training/touring/commuting.

but as long as you are riding keep at it., enjoy..and

go clipless, its a quantum leap from "loose" pedals, although toe clips and straps on a fixie are way cool and work a treat for high cadence spinning...

go for it

Roo N+1 = 6

MaddSkillz said:
My wife and I recently bought road bikes (about 2 weeks ago). So far, I've put on about 80 miles or so! I can't stop! Last weekend I put on 40 miles! And only put on about 30 miles this past weekend. I already want another bike! UGH! Here's my current ride.... 2007 Specialized Allez Elite Triple.

I've got to go clipless! My feet keep falling asleep after about 45 minutes on the bike! =(

Congrats, and welcome to the cycling world. Being able to hop on yer bike and pedal off in most any direction is pretty damned liberating and easy to become addicted to.

Regarding goin' clipless, you won't regret it. Despite what most people think, the efficiency (in terms of power transfer) difference between clipless pedals and pedals w/ cages and straps isn't that great. Clipless pedals do, however, increase the control you have over the bike and greatly improve how "connected" you feel to your machine. Clipless pedals also greatly improve your comfort.

As for bikes.....I'd put some miles on what you've got, now, before anteing up for another bike. Iffin' you search through threads here and at other cycling forums, you'll find that some of the most common questions are about what bike a person should buy, what is best, will a person like said bike, what tires should they get....and on and on and on. By sticking with the bike you've got now, you can focus on putting miles under your wheels, finding out what sort of riding you like, what you like and/or dislike about your bike and its components, what position on the bike works best for you, and get a better picture of what you'll really want or need in the future out of a bike.

I had a friend who started riding an old beater bike. He realized quickly that he loved riding and would want a better bike. He decided the best approach would be to put a dime in a jar for every mile he rode. Sure, that's not a lot, but his intention was that it would force him to really think about what he wanted, while motivating him to ride more.

So keep pedaling what you have. Pay attention to how it shifts, how it fits you, how just looking at it motivates you....yada yada yada. Also, use this time to learn how to work on the bike yourself. Actually one of the best things you can do is buy Zinn & The Art of Road Bike Maintenance, by Leonard Zinn. It's one of the best bike repair tomes out there. A large number of cyclists--me included--find that doing their own work on their bikes just makes riding the bikes that much better. Also, before paying for a new scoot, you're probably better off figuring out what cycling accessories work best for you: shorts vs. bibs and which brand of each works best for you; shoes and pedal type; and etc.

Doing all this will have one great benefit: it'll allow you to be better informed when it comes time to get a new bike, and it will help insure that you end up with what you want as opposed to what others think you should have. More experience under yer belt will help you measure and filter advice from other cyclists.

No matter what, just get out there and pedal!

As a teaser, here's my scoot. It's my only bike, but it is as much of a dream bike as a bike could be for me. Riding it never gets old, and most days I can't wait to mount up and ride off. I recently gave my Mootsie an Easter present: a new seatpost, but I haven't gotten around to taking her picture with her new piece of kit.....

alienator said:
Congrats, and welcome to the cycling world. Being able to hop on yer bike and pedal off in most any direction is pretty damned liberating and easy to become addicted to.

Regarding goin' clipless, you won't regret it. Despite what most people think, the efficiency (in terms of power transfer) difference between clipless pedals and pedals w/ cages and straps isn't that great. Clipless pedals do, however, increase the control you have over the bike and greatly improve how "connected" you feel to your machine. Clipless pedals also greatly improve your comfort.

As for bikes.....I'd put some miles on what you've got, now, before anteing up for another bike. Iffin' you search through threads here and at other cycling forums, you'll find that some of the most common questions are about what bike a person should buy, what is best, will a person like said bike, what tires should they get....and on and on and on. By sticking with the bike you've got now, you can focus on putting miles under your wheels, finding out what sort of riding you like, what you like and/or dislike about your bike and its components, what position on the bike works best for you, and get a better picture of what you'll really want or need in the future out of a bike.

I had a friend who started riding an old beater bike. He realized quickly that he loved riding and would want a better bike. He decided the best approach would be to put a dime in a jar for every mile he rode. Sure, that's not a lot, but his intention was that it would force him to really think about what he wanted, while motivating him to ride more.

So keep pedaling what you have. Pay attention to how it shifts, how it fits you, how just looking at it motivates you....yada yada yada. Also, use this time to learn how to work on the bike yourself. Actually one of the best things you can do is buy Zinn & The Art of Road Bike Maintenance, by Leonard Zinn. It's one of the best bike repair tomes out there. A large number of cyclists--me included--find that doing their own work on their bikes just makes riding the bikes that much better. Also, before paying for a new scoot, you're probably better off figuring out what cycling accessories work best for you: shorts vs. bibs and which brand of each works best for you; shoes and pedal type; and etc.

Doing all this will have one great benefit: it'll allow you to be better informed when it comes time to get a new bike, and it will help insure that you end up with what you want as opposed to what others think you should have. More experience under yer belt will help you measure and filter advice from other cyclists.

No matter what, just get out there and pedal!

As a teaser, here's my scoot. It's my only bike, but it is as much of a dream bike as a bike could be for me. Riding it never gets old, and most days I can't wait to mount up and ride off. I recently gave my Mootsie an Easter present: a new seatpost, but I haven't gotten around to taking her picture with her new piece of kit.....

That is one clean steed -where did you find that stand? Definitely get the Leonard Zinn book it will put you in touch with your ride.

robsurge said:
That is one clean steed -where did you find that stand?

I bought it at Performance Bike. It's the Spin Doctor Quick Stand. I bought it as a quick, cheap solution to the problem....i.e., the problem being that I forgot to bring my workstand wif me when I moved to Tucson. It's great for holding a bike to tak piccies, and it's ok or passable as a stand for doing very simple maintenance, like washing your bike, swapping a chain.....and etc. It's definitely cheap.

alienator said:
I bought it at Performance Bike. It's the Spin Doctor Quick Stand. I bought it as a quick, cheap solution to the problem....i.e., the problem being that I forgot to bring my workstand wif me when I moved to Tucson. It's great for holding a bike to tak piccies, and it's ok or passable as a stand for doing very simple maintenance, like washing your bike, swapping a chain.....and etc. It's definitely cheap.

Thanks- this is perfect for outta state road trips.

MaddSkillz said:

That's a good bike and it's fantastic to hear you're so addicted. It's about the healthiest addiction you'll ever have ;)
You'd be crazy to shell out on another right now, unless you have absolutely loads of money or are, well, crazy, and get a kick out of that sort of thing. There's no harm in hankering after faster/shinier/lighter/carboner etc. but don't let it detract from the experience of riding what you have right now.

Nice I love it. Yeah some people like clip-less. I guess you can loosen them so your foot just sits in there. I really like the color combo with the white handlebars. Yes we get one and we suddenly want more.