Adding 30T cog to Ultegra cassette

I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
cog, will this still shift ok?
Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
>loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
>cog, will this still shift ok?

Yes. It works just fine. see www.sheldonbrown.com for this and
many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

>Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

I dunno, never tried that.

_ Booker C. Bense

On Apr 19, 10:53 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr.
[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
> >loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
> >cog, will this still shift ok?

> Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comfor this and
> many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.
>
> >Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

> I dunno, never tried that.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
probably wouldn't notice, but some would.

I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
MTB cassette on his touring bike.

I did exactly that on my tandem and it works fine.
I bought the 30T shimano cog from Harris Cyclery.

Joel

On Apr 19, 2:50 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 10:53 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr.
>

> [email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
> > >loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
> > >cog, will this still shift ok?

> > Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comforthis and
> > many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

> > >Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

> > I dunno, never tried that.

> > _ Booker C. Bense

> SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
> one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
> the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
> odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
> probably wouldn't notice, but some would.
>
> I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
> Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
> MTB cassette on his touring bike.- Hide quoted text -

You're saying that an Sram cassette won't work with Campy shifters?
My understanding is that Shimano 9sp cassettes work just fine with
Campy 9sp shifters, so wouldn't Sram work, too?

On Apr 20, 4:10 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:50 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 19, 10:53 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr.

> > [email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comforthisand
> > > many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

> > > I dunno, never tried that.

> > > _ Booker C. Bense

> > SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
> > one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
> > the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
> > odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
> > probably wouldn't notice, but some would.

> > I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
> > Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
> > MTB cassette on his touring bike.- Hide quoted text -

> You're saying that an Sram cassette won't work with Campy shifters?
> My understanding is that Shimano 9sp cassettes work just fine with
> Campy 9sp shifters, so wouldn't Sram work, too?

It does, if you center the adjustment on the middle cog and keep
everything really clean. I often fail on the latter, so I experimented
with the spacers and it hits the ends a little easier this way.