Adding a Pump Peg

Gary Jacobson

Guest
Somehow my Bob Jackson Touring frame was delivered without a pump peg. I want one behind the head
tube. What to do? Drill and tap, and use a screw? Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an actual pump
peg? I want to stay away from a clamp on device or strap. Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

GJ,

This isn't an elegant solution, but I have taken a zip tie and zipped it around the head tube, using
the larger female part as the pump bump. No damage to the frame and worked fine.

Frank

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Somehow my Bob Jackson Touring frame was delivered without a pump peg. I want one behind the head
> tube. What to do? Drill and tap, and use a screw? Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an
actual
> pump peg? I want to stay away from a clamp on device or strap. Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

>Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an actual pump peg?

I've done this, and it works fine. Just be VERY careful in locating the hole.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

>[email protected]

>>Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an >>actual pump peg?

>I've done this, and it works fine. Just be >VERY careful in locating the
hole.

Hmmm. How did you do it? Dremel tool? My power drill chucks are too large to allow the hole to be
drilled the correct distance from the top tube. I guess one could drill up at an angle and risk a
skating bit even with a punch mark. But then the angled hole would need to be made straight. Pin
vise? Start small, gradually working up?

Sig Chicago

>Hmmm. How did you do it? Dremel tool?

Went in straight using a Craftsman cordless drill (compact enough to put the hole at the right
height). Started with a gently tapped punch. Pilot drilled with my smallest bit, then drilled to
about 3 mm final size.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

I used a small self adhesive hard rubber "bump". They come in a number of sizes and colors and you
can get them at most hardware stores. I think they are used on cabinet door and glass table tops.
The one I used is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Mike

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:55:40 GMT, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Somehow my Bob Jackson Touring frame was delivered without a pump peg. I want one behind the head
>tube. What to do? Drill and tap, and use a screw? Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an actual pump
>peg? I want to stay away from a clamp on device or strap. Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Somehow my Bob Jackson Touring frame was delivered without a pump peg. I want one behind the head
> tube. What to do? Drill and tap, and use a screw? Drill and epoxy something in-maybe an
actual
> pump peg? I want to stay away from a clamp on device or strap.

I don't see a problem with drilling and tapping a 4mm or 5mm hole there just below the top headlug.
You should be able to get a simple 912 cap screw to fit the pump's handle, maybe with a presta
lockring or two two under it

"Scic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hmmm. How did you do it? Dremel tool? My power drill chucks are too large to allow the hole to be
> drilled the
correct
> distance from the top tube. I guess one could drill up at an angle and risk a skating bit
> even with a
punch
> mark. But then the angled hole would need to be made straight. Pin vise? Start small, gradually
> working up?

I don't get it. A pump peg will be about 16~18mm below the top tube, and the angle between the top
tube and the head tube is obtuse. What's in the way?