Adding a second ring under the chainguard of a 5 speed

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
Looks as if there is space to add a granny chainring and fder under the chainguard from the pedal system of a 5 speed Currie Electric Cruiser. This is essentially a 5 speed Schwinn cruiser with Currie supplied electric system (the electric drive is to a left side cog, the pedal drive is conventional 5 speed right side).
It looks as if I can clear the chainstay with ring.

Anyone ever attempted to put an extra ring while keeping the chainguard on, and if so was the effort successful, and were there any unexpected pitfalls?

meb wrote:

> Looks as if there is space to add a granny chainring and fder under the
> chainguard from the pedal system of a 5 speed Currie Electric Cruiser.
> This is essentially a 5 speed Schwinn cruiser with Currie supplied
> electric system (the electric drive is to a left side cog, the pedal
> drive is conventional 5 speed right side). It looks as if I can clear
> the chainstay with ring.
>
> Anyone ever attempted to put an extra ring while keeping the chainguard
> on, and if so was the effort successful, and were there any unexpected
> pitfalls?

Either the front derailleur will fit under the chainguard[*], such that
it is also protected by it, or the chainguard has a bit taken out of the
top where the derailleur goes, or you could always try adapt the chain
guard yourself. Various "designs" are possible. If you cut, saw, file,
whatever very *nicely* it may (or may not...) come out looking as good as
factory made.

Mine did not and I could not care less (frankenstein-bike).

Install derailleur first, then see what needs to be done.

[*] Like this, for instance:
<http://www.gazelle.nl/nl/imagebank/fietsen/2008_medeo_plus_d_617_popup.jpg>

nmp said:
meb wrote:

> Looks as if there is space to add a granny chainring and fder under the
> chainguard from the pedal system of a 5 speed Currie Electric Cruiser.
> This is essentially a 5 speed Schwinn cruiser with Currie supplied
> electric system (the electric drive is to a left side cog, the pedal
> drive is conventional 5 speed right side). It looks as if I can clear
> the chainstay with ring.
>
> Anyone ever attempted to put an extra ring while keeping the chainguard
> on, and if so was the effort successful, and were there any unexpected
> pitfalls?

Either the front derailleur will fit under the chainguard[*], such that
it is also protected by it, or the chainguard has a bit taken out of the
top where the derailleur goes, or you could always try adapt the chain
guard yourself. Various "designs" are possible. If you cut, saw, file,
whatever very *nicely* it may (or may not...) come out looking as good as
factory made.

Mine did not and I could not care less (frankenstein-bike).

Install derailleur first, then see what needs to be done.

[*] Like this, for instance:
<http://www.gazelle.nl/nl/imagebank/fietsen/2008_medeo_plus_d_617_popup.jpg>

Is that a plexiglass chainguard? Looks cool, is there a source for clear chainguards?

For this particular application, if I have to do major cosmetic impacting cutting, I'll probably just swap out the rder/shifter/freewheel for an 11/34 7 speed system. The electrics make it a 56 lb. bike, so getting some more climbing capacity would help. Higher ratios might a benefit if I can get aerobars to work on cruiser.

meb wrote:

> nmp Wrote:

[..]

>> Like this, for instance:
>> <http://www.gazelle.nl/nl/imagebank/fietsen/2008_medeo_plus_d_617_popup.jpg>

> Is that a plexiglass chainguard?

Transparent ABS, I think.

> Looks cool, is there a source for clear chainguards?

Nearly every bikeshop in my country has several styles and sizes of
chainguards, don't know about where you live.

> For this particular application, if I have to do major cosmetic
> impacting cutting,

It's really not major work, and it's only just a chain guard after all.
But you have to decide that for yourself of course.

> I'll probably just swap out the
> rder/shifter/freewheel for an 11/34 7 speed system. The electrics make
> it a 56 lb. bike, so getting some more climbing capacity would help.
> Higher ratios might a benefit if I can get aerobars to work on cruiser.

An electric 25kg bike with aerobars? Please post pictures when you are
ready with that! ;)

Could be a fast thing, too. Or does the electric assist cut out above a
certain speed, like the law demands in the EU? (25km/h)

nmp said:
meb wrote:

> nmp Wrote:

[..]

>> Like this, for instance:
>> <http://www.gazelle.nl/nl/imagebank/fietsen/2008_medeo_plus_d_617_popup.jpg>

> Is that a plexiglass chainguard?

Transparent ABS, I think.

> Looks cool, is there a source for clear chainguards?

Nearly every bikeshop in my country has several styles and sizes of
chainguards, don't know about where you live.

> For this particular application, if I have to do major cosmetic
> impacting cutting,

It's really not major work, and it's only just a chain guard after all.
But you have to decide that for yourself of course.

> I'll probably just swap out the
> rder/shifter/freewheel for an 11/34 7 speed system. The electrics make
> it a 56 lb. bike, so getting some more climbing capacity would help.
> Higher ratios might a benefit if I can get aerobars to work on cruiser.

An electric 25kg bike with aerobars? Please post pictures when you are
ready with that! ;)

Could be a fast thing, too. Or does the electric assist cut out above a
certain speed, like the law demands in the EU? (25km/h)

Most US jurisdictions dictate a 20 mph limit, so this system has the electric motor freewheeling above 18 mph even at full throttle, and above 16 mph, it barely supplies any assist. So aerobars would be used in a pedal only mode-besides the thumb throttle would be out of reach on the areobars unless I wired in a second throttle in parallel.