Adding air to MTB tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mikie, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Mikie

    Mikie Guest

    Hi...
    My college prof used to say that the only stupid question is the one
    that is left unasked!

    So.....I was practicing removing and reinstalling a tire and tube on my
    brand new Schwinn. Everything went very well, (for a tyro). But when
    it came to adding the air to the tube, it was so flat that I could not
    get the air pressure nozzle over the valve stem.. It kept receding into
    the tire, or moving at an angle which forced me reshift the position of
    the tube each time, so that the stem is perpendicular to the rim. And I
    had to go through all kinds of moves to get it back. Finally I clamped
    the rubber part of the valve stem with a small carpenter's clamp. And
    Voila!

    Can you give me a clue as to a better way? Should I make a permanent
    place for a carpenters clamp in my tool bag? Or...how about a way to
    NEVER ever get flats or tube or tire wear!........no, have to ask Santa
    for that!

    Thanks always for the great help and advice I've been getting. I'm lost
    without you.

    Mike

    The trouble with this old world is that there is too much apathy,
    But.... who cares?

    Tags:

  2. Ran into a similar problem myself.

    Before you put the tyre back on (well, before you set the bead) hold
    the tube on back of the valve with your finger, so it cannot move
    backwards. Pump up the tube a bit (not fully, just enough to give it
    form. Set the bead. Finish pumping the tyre.

    I've found it works well for me. YMMV.

    Jeff

  3. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Ran into a similar problem myself.
    >
    > Before you put the tyre back on (well, before you set the bead) hold
    > the tube on back of the valve with your finger, so it cannot move
    > backwards. Pump up the tube a bit (not fully, just enough to give it
    > form. Set the bead. Finish pumping the tyre.
    >
    > I've found it works well for me. YMMV.
    >
    > Jeff

    Sort of the same for me too. I use my thumb to hold the valve until it
    gets some pressure, then if it is not perfectly straight up I will
    rotate the tire before I put any more air in. Only when the valve is
    straight will I finish filling it. I have seen a lot of kids and even
    some adults with fully inflated tires and bent valves, which is asking
    for a flat. This was proven when I fixed a flat for a local kid and the
    valve had been ripped from the tube by the extreme angle.
    Bill Baka

  4. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Mikie wrote:
    > Hi...
    > My college prof used to say that the only stupid question is the one
    > that is left unasked!
    >
    > So.....I was practicing removing and reinstalling a tire and tube on my
    > brand new Schwinn. Everything went very well, (for a tyro). But when
    > it came to adding the air to the tube, it was so flat that I could not
    > get the air pressure nozzle over the valve stem.. It kept receding into
    > the tire, or moving at an angle which forced me reshift the position of
    > the tube each time, so that the stem is perpendicular to the rim. And I
    > had to go through all kinds of moves to get it back. Finally I clamped
    > the rubber part of the valve stem with a small carpenter's clamp. And
    > Voila!
    >
    > Can you give me a clue as to a better way?

    I'd switch to presta tubes at your leisure. The entire shaft is
    threaded and a little nut keeps them from disappearing. Don't tighten
    the nut too hard, btw. You'll want some 50c grommets to make it look
    nice:
    http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/strips.html (bottom of the page),
    your LBS should have some.

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 25 Apr 2006 13:55:57 -0700, "Mikie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can you give me a clue as to a better way? Should I make a permanent
    >place for a carpenters clamp in my tool bag? Or...how about a way to
    >NEVER ever get flats or tube or tire wear!........no, have to ask Santa
    >for that!

    If you're using a pump or air hose that clips to the valve stem, the
    easiest way to get it clipped on is to squish the tire tread flat
    against the base of the stem to push it through the hole as far as
    possible, and hold it there with one hand while attaching the pump or
    hose with the other. If you're uring an air hose from a compressor,
    the same technique generally still works, though you may find that
    pushing the stem through, grabbing it and holding it directly while
    pushing the air chuck onto the valve might be more effective. I've
    used both methods.

    Presta stems with a nutted base make this irrelevant, but they have
    their own collection of ways to annoy the user.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.