adding disc brake mounts?

Brian Plaugher

Guest
I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

Hmmm. I thought that tattaos, piercing and 'bustin' sag' were all the latest rage. Would that it
were disk brakes.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

"Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
> latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
> sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

In article <[email protected]>, Brian Plaugher
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
>latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes?

You need to ask a frame builder for a quote. They will need to add the mount and some appropriate
cable stops. It would probably be helpful to know what kind of tubing is used in the seatstay but it
should be beefy enough on most steel mountain bikes. The frame builder doing the work should be the
one to say whether it's safe
- that's who has to guarantee the job. Often painters that specialize in bikes will have a local
builder they use for repairs on bikes in for paint.

> Is one type more sought after than another?

I would do "International Standard" or whatever works with the brakes you intend to use.

--Paul

[email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
> latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
> sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

Any competent framebuilder will be able to advise you on disc mounts. You should probably get "ISO"
mounts, since these mount the vast majority of disk brake calipers. The alternative is "Hayes"
mounts, which are quite rare nowadays.

The mount itself is quite cheap ($12.95 from Gaerlan
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/brazeons/brazeons.html ) but the majority of the cost will be
in labor. Welding or brazing the mount onto your frame is a job for a pro- it's not something that
can be easily fixed once it's on.

Jeff