adding disc brake mounts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Plaugher, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
    latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
    sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Hmmm. I thought that tattaos, piercing and 'bustin' sag' were all the latest rage. Would that it
    were disk brakes.

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
    > latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
    > sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Brian Plaugher
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
    >latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes?

    You need to ask a frame builder for a quote. They will need to add the mount and some appropriate
    cable stops. It would probably be helpful to know what kind of tubing is used in the seatstay but it
    should be beefy enough on most steel mountain bikes. The frame builder doing the work should be the
    one to say whether it's safe
    - that's who has to guarantee the job. Often painters that specialize in bikes will have a local
    builder they use for repairs on bikes in for paint.

    > Is one type more sought after than another?

    I would do "International Standard" or whatever works with the brakes you intend to use.

    --Paul

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a (salsa) mtb frame that is stripped, going to be repainted. I hear disc brakes are the
    > latest rage. Would it be difficult/expensive to get mounts for rear disc brakes? Is one type more
    > sought after than another? Any clues appreciated. Brian Plaugher

    Any competent framebuilder will be able to advise you on disc mounts. You should probably get "ISO"
    mounts, since these mount the vast majority of disk brake calipers. The alternative is "Hayes"
    mounts, which are quite rare nowadays.

    The mount itself is quite cheap ($12.95 from Gaerlan
    http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/brazeons/brazeons.html ) but the majority of the cost will be
    in labor. Welding or brazing the mount onto your frame is a job for a pro- it's not something that
    can be easily fixed once it's on.

    Jeff