Adding front suspension to older bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Russell Bryant, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    To make a long story short, I developed carpel tunnel from much computing and bike riding, couldn't
    ride for several years, had surgury, and want to start riding again.

    I have a Cannondale M300 that I bought new around 1995. Most components were upgraded at the time of
    purchase but I don't remember exactly what's on there right now. I know there was a shock available
    but I opted not to get it since I was setting the bike up for a long distance tour I was doing.

    Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new bike
    but this one will have to do for now.

    Thanks,

    Russ in Tucson

    Tags:

  2. "Russell Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > To make a long story short, I developed carpel tunnel from much computing and bike riding,
    > couldn't ride for several years, had surgury, and want to start riding again.
    >
    > I have a Cannondale M300 that I bought new around 1995. Most components were upgraded at the time
    > of purchase but I don't remember exactly what's on there right now. I know there was a shock
    > available but I opted not to get it since I was setting the bike up for a long distance tour I
    > was doing.
    >
    > Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new bike
    > but this one will have to do for now.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Russ in Tucson

    The simple answer is probably yes, but if you have a 1" steerer tube, the options are limited,
    mostly to Marzocchi which are good forks but will not be cheap. If you plan on getting a new bike,
    you may not want to spend that money now, and odds are the new bike will not have a 1" steerer tube.

    I would just ride the bike until the next one comes into your future.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. >Hi,

    >To make a long story short, I developed carpel tunnel from much computing and bike riding, couldn't
    >ride for several years, had surgury, and want to start riding again.
    >
    >I have a Cannondale M300 that I bought new around 1995. Most components were upgraded at the time
    >of purchase but I don't remember exactly what's on there right now. I know there was a shock
    >available but I opted not to get it since I was setting the bike up for a long distance tour I
    >was doing.
    >
    >Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new bike
    >but this one will have to do for now.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Russ in Tucson

    Just put a softride stem on. They're on ebay all the time for about $50 or so. Cheap, light,
    effective.

    -Andrew

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Russell Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > To make a long story short, I developed carpel tunnel from much computing and bike riding,
    > couldn't ride for several years, had surgury, and want to start riding again.
    >
    > I have a Cannondale M300 that I bought new around 1995. Most components were upgraded at the time
    > of purchase but I don't remember exactly what's on there right now. I know there was a shock
    > available but I opted not to get it since I was setting the bike up for a long distance tour I
    > was doing.
    >
    > Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new bike
    > but this one will have to do for now.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Russ in Tucson

    Hey bomba, want to add the answer to this one to the FAQ?

    Jon Bond

  5. David

    David Guest

    "Russell Bryant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Cannondale M300 that I bought new around 1995. Most components were upgraded at the time
    > of purchase but I don't remember exactly what's on there right now. I know there was a shock
    > available but I opted not to get it since I was setting the bike up for a long distance tour I
    > was doing.
    >
    > Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike?

    I think Cannondale still produces Headshocks fairly similar to what they used then, and I think they
    still have the same oversized head tube. You should be able to use a Cannondale Headshock, or with
    an adapter (reducer), use an ordinary fork.

    You might measure current axle to crown distance & head angle. Consider the axle to crown
    distance of the fork you're buying, adjusting for sag, so you'll have an idea of the change to
    your bike's geometry.

    As far as I know, Cannondale Headshock forks were always fairly tall for the amount of travel,
    which might allow you to use a modern 80mm fork with less geometry change than you would see with
    most '95 bikes.

    David

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:

    >>Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new bike
    >>but this one will have to do for now.
    >>

    > Hey bomba, want to add the answer to this one to the FAQ?

    Hmm, good idea - I've made a note. The only thing that bothered me about this particular question
    was the possibility of an oversized head tube.

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond wrote:
    >
    > >>Are there any shocks still on the market that will fit this bike? I will eventually get a new
    > >>bike but this one will have to do for now.
    > >>

    > > Hey bomba, want to add the answer to this one to the FAQ?
    >
    > Hmm, good idea - I've made a note. The only thing that bothered me about this particular question
    > was the possibility of an oversized head tube.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    Yeah, I was referring more to the title.

    Jon Bond

  8. William

    William Guest

    I have a Cannondale F300. It has the CAAD2 frame which I know is kinda dated so it may actually be
    what you have. The bike came with a MAnitou fork using an adapter. I know I can put a Cannondale
    Headshok fork on. So if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that you could probably put a suspension
    fork on. Try a LBS for a definative answer. I'm not sure if they've changed the head on the frame.

  9. Russ

    Russ Guest

    [email protected] (William) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Cannondale F300. It has the CAAD2 frame which I know is kinda dated so it may actually be
    > what you have. The bike came with a MAnitou fork using an adapter. I know I can put a Cannondale
    > Headshok fork on. So if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that you could probably put a suspension
    > fork on. Try a LBS for a definative answer. I'm not sure if they've changed the head on the frame.

    The frame I have is a CAAD2. I'll start looking around for a fork.

    Thanks everybody!

    Russ in Tucson