adding gearing to converted singlespeed?

Dan in Dover

Guest
I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
shooting past me on the way down.

Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
other with a singlespeed crank?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Dan in Dover <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> shooting past me on the way down.
>
> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> other with a singlespeed crank?

It might actually be cheaper and easier to convert it to a internal gear
hub. If you spec it right you should just need a new rear wheel and the
shifter. Something like an SRAM P5 (five speed) with a 47/20 sprocket
would give you a 40-100 gear inch range, which isn't too shabby.

It would give you a 64 gear inch direct drive.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but

Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dan in Dover <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
>> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
>> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
>> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
>> shooting past me on the way down.
>>
>> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
>> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
>> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
>> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
>> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
>> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
>> other with a singlespeed crank?

> It might actually be cheaper and easier to convert it to a internal gear
> hub. If you spec it right you should just need a new rear wheel and the
> shifter. Something like an SRAM P5 (five speed) with a 47/20 sprocket
> would give you a 40-100 gear inch range, which isn't too shabby.
>
> It would give you a 64 gear inch direct drive.

Urk, I should probably throw in prices eh?

Hub - $90 -> $130
Shifter - $50

So $140-180 plus spokes/rim/labor. This should be cheaper than a full
gear conversion unless you know someone with a lot of cheap spare parts.

Of course, buying a 'new' used road bike with gears would probably be
cheaper still.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
A computer without a Microsoft Operating system

Dane Buson wrote:
> Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dan in Dover <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> >> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> >> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> >> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> >> shooting past me on the way down.
> >>
> >> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> >> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> >> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> >> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> >> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> >> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> >> other with a singlespeed crank?

> > It might actually be cheaper and easier to convert it to a internal gear
> > hub. If you spec it right you should just need a new rear wheel and the
> > shifter. Something like an SRAM P5 (five speed) with a 47/20 sprocket
> > would give you a 40-100 gear inch range, which isn't too shabby.
> >
> > It would give you a 64 gear inch direct drive.

> Urk, I should probably throw in prices eh?
>
> Hub - $90 -> $130
> Shifter - $50
>
> So $140-180 plus spokes/rim/labor. This should be cheaper than a full
> gear conversion unless you know someone with a lot of cheap spare parts.
>
> Of course, buying a 'new' used road bike with gears would probably be
> cheaper still.

I'd sell it and get one with gears on the used market.

If you did want to covert it back to geared, and if you did the work
yourself, the cost would be minimal.

Grab a 7spd freewheel and Alivio/Sora rear mech from nashbar: $40
Get some shifting levers and a cable from your LBS's parts bin: $10

$50

If you want to get fancy and add a front deraileur, you'll need a
minimum of a few mech, cable, new chainring bolts, and a chainring
(possibly also a new crank), so around $40 more if you do it cheap.

I'd just make it into a 7 speed or sell it.

Remember that you'll need to dish the wheel after removing the cog.

Dan in Dover wrote:
> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> shooting past me on the way down.
>
> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> other with a singlespeed crank?

One way to deal with this is to go single-speed freewheel. You can fit
a chain tensioner for added security although I've ridden a fair amount
without using one with no problems. The lockring is obviated, of
course, a good trade for a real rear brake IMHO. Setup could be easy as
finding a usuable freewheel that gives you good chainline on a cog you
want to use, which also could be cheaper than going to an "upscale" SS
FW.

Especially for longer rides, comfort is increased a bunch (riding
shorts reference intended), since you can stretch in addition to
coasting down hills. I found I could more easily use a higher gear on
SS than with a fixed cog, and in times of more abundant youth/fitness,
I had fun using a 48/17 single on group rides. --D-y

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:24:34 -0800, Dan in Dover wrote:

> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> shooting past me on the way down.
>
> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> other with a singlespeed crank?

It would be easiest to get a new wheel with an internal gear hub, like a
Shimano Nexus, Sturmey Archer, or Sachs. All you'd need is the new wheel,
shifter, and cable, and you're good to go -- no hassles with derailers,
chainlines, etc.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dan in Dover" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> shooting past me on the way down.
>
> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to
> go. Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the
> bike once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other
> factors change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I
> run into any issues with the chain angles from one end of the
> cassette to the other with a singlespeed crank?

Ummm. Might be cheaper and certainly much easier to buy a second bike
with variable gears and save the singlespeed for non-group rides where
you can choose the terrain.

Dan in Dover wrote:
> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> shooting past me on the way down.
>
> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> other with a singlespeed crank?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

How about going 2-speed?

Add a chainring to the front, a front derr, and a single downtube
shifter. Find any sort of semi-functional rear derr (with limit stops)
for tension.

If your SS is, say, a 39x16, adding a 53 would give you a gear plenty
big enough for flats. It's also 95% as simple and light as an SS.

Chainline might take some fiddling, but if your current setup is on the
mark it's really a non-issue. The rear derr's limit stops should keep
it in place over the freewheel. If not, you can cable it up to a right
shift lever that's never used.

It's not the prettiest, but if you know anyone with a used parts bin,
I'm sure they'd give you this stuff for a song.

/s

On 2006-11-15, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dan in Dover wrote:
>> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
>> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
>> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
>> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
>> shooting past me on the way down.
>>
>> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
>> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
>> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
>> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
>> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
>> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
>> other with a singlespeed crank?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dan

> How about going 2-speed?
>
> Add a chainring to the front, a front derr, and a single downtube
> shifter. Find any sort of semi-functional rear derr (with limit stops)
> for tension.
>
> If your SS is, say, a 39x16, adding a 53 would give you a gear plenty
> big enough for flats. It's also 95% as simple and light as an SS.
>
> Chainline might take some fiddling, but if your current setup is on the
> mark it's really a non-issue. The rear derr's limit stops should keep
> it in place over the freewheel. If not, you can cable it up to a right
> shift lever that's never used.

Or use the technique recently described in uk.rec.cycling of a short
length of cable (only a few inches) with a nipple on one end running
from the final barrel-bolt adjuster to the cable clamp on the rear mech.
Then you can use the barrel-bolt to set the mech position.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2006-11-15, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Dan in Dover wrote:
> >> I've got an older 10 speed that I picked up already converted to a
> >> singlespeed by a local bikeshop. I love the bike, but on some of my
> >> longer rides I wish I had another gear or two for the downhills,
> >> especially when they lead into big climbs or I have other cyclists
> >> shooting past me on the way down.
> >>
> >> Would I be able to add a rear der to this bike? I'm thinking rear
> >> wheel, cassette, der, cable, shifter, chain and I should be good to go.
> >> Would I be better off staying with the original 5 speed, as the bike
> >> once had, or could I go up to a 7? I understand after 8 other factors
> >> change, and I want to keep it simple (and rugged). Would I run into
> >> any issues with the chain angles from one end of the cassette to the
> >> other with a singlespeed crank?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Dan

> > How about going 2-speed?
> >
> > Add a chainring to the front, a front derr, and a single downtube
> > shifter. Find any sort of semi-functional rear derr (with limit stops)
> > for tension.
> >
> > If your SS is, say, a 39x16, adding a 53 would give you a gear plenty
> > big enough for flats. It's also 95% as simple and light as an SS.
> >
> > Chainline might take some fiddling, but if your current setup is on the
> > mark it's really a non-issue. The rear derr's limit stops should keep
> > it in place over the freewheel. If not, you can cable it up to a right
> > shift lever that's never used.

> Or use the technique recently described in uk.rec.cycling of a short
> length of cable (only a few inches) with a nipple on one end running
> from the final barrel-bolt adjuster to the cable clamp on the rear mech.
> Then you can use the barrel-bolt to set the mech position.

I appreciate all the info. Since I posted, I was given an old 10-speed
Miyata 310 in pretty good shape. At first I thought that I would just
have the ss & the 10-speed, but it appears the miyata is a bit too
small for me. In the interest of saving $ by using what I've got, I'll
try to swap the rear der & wheel from the miyata onto my ss before
exploring any more expensive options.

That, or ebay the miyata & try to find a larger bike to replace it
with.