Adding masa flour to chili

We have a favorite chili recipe that we've been making for years.

Towards the end of cooking, I mix some masa with warm water so that
it's slightly creamy (not thick or pasty). I add this to the chili
for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, and it adds a nice richness.

The last time I made it, when I added the masa/water mixture, it
immediately formed clumps. It never redissolved. I fished out as
many clumps as I could, but the finished product was bad, because
there were still lots of little clumps that were like eating dough.

Worst thing is, it was a triple batch for freezing, so it mocked me
for months to come.

I'm making chili again tomorrow. I hate to leave out the masa out of
fear, I really like the texture it adds.

What do you think went wrong the last time?

[email protected] wrote:
> We have a favorite chili recipe that we've been making for years.
>
> Towards the end of cooking, I mix some masa with warm water so that
> it's slightly creamy (not thick or pasty). I add this to the chili
> for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, and it adds a nice richness.
>
> The last time I made it, when I added the masa/water mixture, it
> immediately formed clumps. It never redissolved. I fished out as
> many clumps as I could, but the finished product was bad, because
> there were still lots of little clumps that were like eating dough.
>
> Worst thing is, it was a triple batch for freezing, so it mocked me
> for months to come.
>
> I'm making chili again tomorrow. I hate to leave out the masa out of
> fear, I really like the texture it adds.
>
> What do you think went wrong the last time?

Not enough water in the masa. If you are paranoid about it now, add a
little of the hot chili to the masa paste to "temper" it before you dump
it into the big batch.

(I use a little bit of rolled oats if my chili needs thickening)

Bob

>Not enough water in the masa. If you are paranoid about it now, add a
>little of the hot chili to the masa paste to "temper" it before you dump
>it into the big batch.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

"[email protected]" wrote:

> We have a favorite chili recipe that we've been making for years.
>
> Towards the end of cooking, I mix some masa with warm water so that
> it's slightly creamy (not thick or pasty). I add this to the chili
> for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, and it adds a nice richness.
>
> The last time I made it, when I added the masa/water mixture, it
> immediately formed clumps. It never redissolved. I fished out as
> many clumps as I could, but the finished product was bad, because
> there were still lots of little clumps that were like eating dough.
>
> Worst thing is, it was a triple batch for freezing, so it mocked me
> for months to come.
>
> I'm making chili again tomorrow. I hate to leave out the masa out of
> fear, I really like the texture it adds.
>
> What do you think went wrong the last time?

I don't think, I "know". You added it to liquid that was the wrong temp.
I add it to lukewarm stuff (water if the chili is too thick already, or
strained juice from the chili if too sloppy), mix well and stir like mad
as you slooooooowly dribble it in. I've had failures in every step,
delivering me to Lump City.
For a change, and I know this sounds odd, try adding quinoa (KEEN-wah)
about 30 minutes before finish time. Just add the grain straight, don't
cook of soak beforehand.
HTH
b lacksalt

In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Not enough water in the masa. If you are paranoid about it now, add a
> little of the hot chili to the masa paste to "temper" it before you dump
> it into the big batch.
>
> (I use a little bit of rolled oats if my chili needs thickening)
>
> Bob

Oatmeal in your chili??? You ARE "different."
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
added 1-30-05.