Adding more blinkies to my bike - help!

Eric Babula

Guest
I'm looking to add more blinkies to my bike. I need help on how to attach them.

I have a Trek 800 Sport. I already have headlights (VistaLite Nightstick-15), cyclocomputer,
reflector, handlebar bag, and cell phone on handlebars, so that's filled up. On the rear, I have one
red blinkie attached to the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet (duct taped).

I've been told by people in cars that they can barely see me coming, and that it's difficult to
judge my distance and speed by the little pinlights of the Nightstick-15. That's why I'm adding more
lights - couldn't hurt to be lit up like a Christmas tree!

I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two more red blinkies on the
rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the two amber blinkies just above the front fender, spaced
apart about 10". I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could use the
quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC to my down tube, so that it doesn't
swivel around, or twist? Any suggestions?

Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the rear fender, again spaced
apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get
away with just duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

No, I'm not looking to start another "my bike is better lit than yours" war. I'm looking for good
advice, here. How do you attach a round 1" pipe to your round downtube? If anyone has suggestions,
or, better yet, a website or pictures I could look at for attachment ideas, please let me know!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

On 01 Feb 2004 19:42:23 GMT, Eric Babula <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking for good advice, here. How do you attach a round 1" pipe to your round downtube? If
> anyone has suggestions, or, better yet, a website or pictures I could look at for attachment
> ideas, please let me know!

If I was attaching two round tubes, I would use a spindle sander to make an arced cutout in one tube
(obviously the PVC in this case). Then it would wrap right around the other tube and not rotate.

Then a flexible band of some sort- maybe a large o-ring- could be used. Put the o-ring around one
end of the cut-away tube, place the tube against the downtube, and pull the o-ring around the back
side of the downtube and then capture the cut-away tube on the other side. Then slide the cut-away
tube into position. With the proper o-ring, just a little tape would probably stop the whole tube
from sliding down. Or put a metal hose clamp around the downtube to stop any downward motion. You
can use a piece of old inner tube to protect your frame from the hose clamp.

Then again I wouldn't have a cel phone on my handlebars so I 'd have room for a real headlight. Five
mediocre lights do not a real light make....

You need to go rent "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure".

Eric Babula <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking to add more blinkies to my bike. I need help on how to attach them.
>
> I have a Trek 800 Sport. I already have headlights (VistaLite Nightstick-15), cyclocomputer,
> reflector, handlebar bag, and cell phone on handlebars, so that's filled up. On the rear, I have
> one red blinkie attached to the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet (duct taped).

"Eric Babula" <[email protected]> wrote

> I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two more red blinkies on the
> rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the two amber blinkies just above the front fender,
> spaced apart about 10". I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
> use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC to my down tube, so that
> it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any suggestions?

2 ea PVC "T", Split one in half across the top of the T. It clamps around the downtube with hose
clamps. Inside, sheet rubber (innertube slice) to keep it from sliding around. The other part of the
T extends out to the sides to hold the blinkies.

A PVC + would work too. Split along the middle, clamp around the downtube, and extend outwards

> Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the rear fender, again spaced
> apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get
> away with just duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

PVC flanges, bolted with a U-bolt.

Sheetmetal, bolted to the rack, extending outwards. Bolt the blinkies to it. You then have added
surface area for reflective tape.

Of course, liberal use of reflective tape would probably work just as well as adding blinkies (and
weight, batteries, complexity)..

Pete

Eric Babula wrote:

> I'm looking to add more blinkies to my bike. I need help on how to attach them.
>
> I have a Trek 800 Sport.

Sorry, but I don't know that model by heart. Does it have drop bars, mountain bike bars, swept-back
handlebars, or what? That can make a difference.

> I already have headlights (VistaLite Nightstick-15), cyclocomputer, reflector, handlebar bag, and
> cell phone on handlebars, so that's filled up. On the rear, I have one red blinkie attached to
> the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet (duct taped).
>
> I've been told by people in cars that they can barely see me coming, and that it's difficult to
> judge my distance and speed by the little pinlights of the Nightstick-15. That's why I'm adding
> more lights - couldn't hurt to be lit up like a Christmas tree!

Hmmm. This surprises me _greatly_. Have you actually observed your bike when someone else is riding
it for you? Are you sure the person talking to you was serious and truthful? Under what conditions
did they observe you?

I ask because 15 watts plus blinkies is more than almost everyone uses. If you have special problems
of some sort that a 15 watt system doesn't solve, it's hard to see how a couple of blinkies are
going to make much difference!

> I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two more red blinkies on the
> rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the two amber blinkies just above the front fender,
> spaced apart about 10". I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
> use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC to my down tube, so that
> it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why you want the blinkies to be close to your head tube, particularly if you use a
handlebar bag. First, the handlebar bag is a more convenient mounting point, and second, the
handlebar bag will tend to hide the blinkies.

If you really like using 1" PVC, you can attach that to your handlebar bag (just sew on some straps,
for example) and mount the blinkies just to the sides of the bag. Splice in a center Tee fitting and
have a short rearward extension to stabilize it against tipping forward or sliding sideways.

If you're really wanting to attach the PVC to the headtube, you could use a pair of stainless steel
hose clamps. One around the head tube, another one linked through it (like links in a logging chain)
and around the PVC.

With a drop bar bike, I've seen someone mount a pipe from side to side, connecting the ends of the
drops. This could give another mounting point.

And of course, there are those Minoura Space Grip things.

> Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the rear fender, again spaced
> apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get
> away with just duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

Again, use a hose clamp. One should do it.

Do you have reflectors on the bike? Properly done, they're very effective and a lot less trouble.

And again, have you actually observed the bike at night?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Eric Babula" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two more red blinkies on the
>> rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the two amber blinkies just above the front fender,
>> spaced apart about 10". I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
>> use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC to my down tube, so that
>> it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any suggestions?
>
> 2 ea PVC "T", Split one in half across the top of the T. It clamps around the downtube with hose
> clamps. Inside, sheet rubber (innertube slice) to keep it from sliding around. The other part of
> the T extends out to the sides to hold the blinkies.
>
> A PVC + would work too. Split along the middle, clamp around the downtube, and extend outwards
>

>> Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the rear fender, again spaced
>> apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get
>> away with just duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.
>
> PVC flanges, bolted with a U-bolt.
>
> Sheetmetal, bolted to the rack, extending outwards. Bolt the blinkies to it. You then have added
> surface area for reflective tape.
>
> Of course, liberal use of reflective tape would probably work just as well as adding blinkies (and
> weight, batteries, complexity)..
>
> Pete

Thanks, Pete. Something to think about! I already have the blinkies, so I'd like to use
them, somehow.

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

"frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [...]
> steel hose clamps. One around the head tube, another one linked through it (like links in a
> logging chain) and around the PVC.
>
> With a drop bar bike, I've seen someone mount a pipe from side to side, connecting the ends of the
> drops. This could give another mounting point.
>
> And of course, there are those Minoura Space Grip things.
>
>> Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the rear fender, again spaced
>> apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get
>> away with just duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.
>
> Again, use a hose clamp. One should do it.
>
> Do you have reflectors on the bike? Properly done, they're very effective and a lot less trouble.
>
> And again, have you actually observed the bike at night?

The Trek 800 is a low-end mountain bike, so it has upright handle bars.

I have not actually observed my bike when someone else is riding it. But, one day, on my way to work
(in the dark, of course), a woman in a car was driving toward me. She actually turned around and
caught up to me, and stopped me for a chat. She told me that she was a bicycler too, and informed me
that she was surprised at how difficult it was to judge my distance and speed with just the two
spotlights from the Vistalite coming at her!

As for mounting the blinkies to the head tube, I thought that to be about the only realistic place
to do so. The mount would actually fit underneath the handlebar bag, and shouldn't be covered. But,
I never thought of actually mounting the blinkies to the handlebar bag! Something to ponder.

--

Pete wrote:

> Of course, liberal use of reflective tape would probably work just as well as adding blinkies (and
> weight, batteries, complexity)..

I agree. In fact, it would probably be more effective, if done right.

I'm always amazed at how visible firemen are, with the reflective tape on their parkas. Ditto the
reflective vests used by safety workers.

I need to address this myself.

Matt O.

[Eric Babula asked about using 1" PVC to mount additional lights.]

Performance has the "Space Bar" if you want a ready-made solution.

For PVC, 1" is the inside diameter. I think 3/4" PVC will be closer to a handlebar diameter that
your light mounts can work on.

I attached a PVC pipe to my handlebar with a tee connector and a pipe hanger. The pipe hanger was
screwed into a cap at the end of the tee and mounted on the handlebar. (I've since abandoned this
home-brew "Space Bar" because I don't really need it.)

The two blinkies on my back rack are attached to a small metal plate. I drilled holes in the plate
to match the mounting bolts and dents on the lights, and another hole to mount the plate. It's
fairly compact and doesn't look like a hacked up mess like the PVC does.

RFM http://www.masoner.net/bike/

Eric Babula wrote:

> I have not actually observed my bike when someone else is riding it. But, one day, on my way to
> work (in the dark, of course), a woman in a car was driving toward me. She actually turned around
> and caught up to me, and stopped me for a chat. She told me that she was a bicycler too, and
> informed me that she was surprised at how difficult it was to judge my distance and speed with
> just the two spotlights from the Vistalite coming at her!

I don't see this as a concern. In most cases, it doesn't matter if a motorist misjudges your
distance and speed unless you are very close to them - i.e. where they'll hurt you if they pull out
in front of you. But by that time (typically 30 to 50 feet away) they will certainly see your 15
watts, so they won't pull out. If your lights make them think you're closer than you are, that's not
a problem.

Check out your bike, using a volunteer helper. (You can do the same for the volunteer, to return the
favor.) Do this on any road you'd worry about when night riding. Drive past from different
directions, and check from different angles. It's a great learning experience.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server,
try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow! ---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

On 01 Feb 2004 19:42:23 GMT, Eric Babula <[email protected]> wrote: ...
>On the rear, I have one red blinkie attached to the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet
>(duct taped).
>
>I've been told by people in cars that they can barely see me coming,

As a bike commuter and rbm lurker, I'd like to throw in another few cents here.

What do folks think about front-facing headmounted white blinkies? I have a Black Diamond Moonlight
w.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47671182&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
1 that I wear under my helmet. Faces forward, can be solid or blinking, and shines toward where I'm
looking, which is usually in the direction of the most likely threat.

I've been told it is pretty visible, either solid or blinking.

And yes, this is in addition to a Vistalite system and multiple rear-facing red blinkies.

Ferd Berfle

"Usenet is Fun!"

it sounds like your blinkies are weenies (G) get some really bright ones. you can get a xenon
flasher that will blow away the LED ones for about 25.00 they can be seen in daylight.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> it sounds like your blinkies are weenies (G) get some really bright ones. you can get a xenon
> flasher that will blow away the LED ones for about 25.00 they can be seen in daylight.

Steve - do you have a place to get these xenon flashers? Local bike shop, or online? I'd love to
have a look at them.

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

>Steve - do you have a place to get these xenon flashers? Local bike shop, or online? I'd love to
>have a look at them.

http://www.mccormicksnet.com/mccormicks/frames10.htm for the lightman xenon flashers. this is about
the best price I found. I have one on back you can see it 180 degrees on the side. but it only goes
about 3 hours on really good batteries. I use 2000mah rechargeable and I change the battery every
two days as my ride is a little less then 1 hour. I ordered a much better battery setup from a
battery shop. http://www.eryderusa.com/SP_main.htm the sparky is a handy little guy it is smaller
and lets you chose your color or colors. it does not have as much side to side as the lightman. but
you get far longer runs from it. a minimum of about 10 hours on the fastest flash. both can be
attached to straps and such and come with the parts to do so. if you have a 12v light you can get a
12v lightman