Adding Oil to a Marzocchi

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tsheer, May 6, 2003.

  1. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    I have a 2003 Marathon SL. Lately when I check the pressure, oil spews out of the negative chamber
    (the center valve in the left leg). I have seen posts mentioning that this happens on occasion.

    I decided to let all the air out of all the chambers and check the oil level. This caused a lot of
    oil to gush from the neg chamber. I pressured back up, and now I've lost about 25mm of fork travel;
    I assume due to not enough oil now.

    But the manual doesn't say how much oil is correct, or how to check it. Can someone tell me
    those 2 things?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    "Tsheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 2003 Marathon SL. Lately when I check the pressure, oil spews
    out
    > of the negative chamber (the center valve in the left leg). I have seen posts mentioning that this
    > happens on occasion.
    >
    > I decided to let all the air out of all the chambers and check the oil level. This caused a lot of
    > oil to gush from the neg chamber. I
    pressured
    > back up, and now I've lost about 25mm of fork travel; I assume due to not enough oil now.
    >
    > But the manual doesn't say how much oil is correct, or how to check it.
    Can
    > someone tell me those 2 things?
    >
    > Thanks

    They have the service manual for 2002 Marathon S 80/100/29" here if that's any good. Has the oil
    heights on p19. Hope that helps. Mark

    http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Tsheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 2003 Marathon SL. Lately when I check the pressure, oil spews
    out
    > of the negative chamber (the center valve in the left leg). I have seen posts mentioning that this
    > happens on occasion.
    >
    > I decided to let all the air out of all the chambers and check the oil level. This caused a lot of
    > oil to gush from the neg chamber. I
    pressured
    > back up, and now I've lost about 25mm of fork travel; I assume due to not enough oil now.
    >
    > But the manual doesn't say how much oil is correct, or how to check it.
    Can
    > someone tell me those 2 things?
    >
    > Thanks

    Marzocchi told me (right or wrong) the oil on that leg is mainly for lubrication. The fact you lost
    25mm of travel means the neg cart is stuck down. You need to contact Marz. for a warranty
    replacement of the cartridge. So the 03 is doing it too?

    Mike

  4. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    > "Tsheer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a 2003 Marathon SL. Lately when I check the pressure, oil spews
    > out
    > > of the negative chamber (the center valve in the left leg). I have seen posts mentioning that
    > > this happens on occasion.
    > >
    > > I decided to let all the air out of all the chambers and check the oil level. This caused a lot
    > > of oil to gush from the neg chamber. I
    > pressured
    > > back up, and now I've lost about 25mm of fork travel; I assume due to
    not
    > > enough oil now.
    > >
    > > But the manual doesn't say how much oil is correct, or how to check it.
    > Can
    > > someone tell me those 2 things?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Marzocchi told me (right or wrong) the oil on that leg is mainly for lubrication. The fact you
    > lost 25mm of travel means the neg cart is stuck down. You need to contact Marz. for a warranty
    > replacement of the cartridge. So the 03 is doing it too?
    >
    > Mike

    You're right, I called Marz (800-227-5579), and I have to send it in for repair. The guy said it'll
    take 5 to 7 days. They have a lot of forks in for repair, and are working weekends to try to keep
    up. So I'm without a ride for at least a week, as I don't keep a spare fork around. It looks like
    Marzocchi needs to shake things up a bit and get their reliability improved.

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > It looks like Marzocchi needs to shake things up a bit and get their reliability improved.

    And their instruction book/manual....The one that came with my 2002 X-Fly is borderline-unreadable.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. I am evaluating two cordless computers, the Cateye Cordless 7 and the Vetta RT88. Anyone have
    comments, good or bad, on either of these units.

    Thanks, Michael

  7. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "Michael James Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    | I am evaluating two cordless computers, the Cateye Cordless 7 and the Vetta RT88. Anyone have
    | comments, good or bad, on either of these units.
    |
    | Thanks, Michael

    As my Avocet(40s?) died I replaced them both with RT88 units; the choice driven by price, features,
    and the 'convenience' of a wireless mount. I now regret doing so and I doubt I will keep either of
    them in service much longer. The only upside to using this unit is that because of their
    unreliability, I have learned that one can ride quite well without a computer.

    The transmitters chew up batteries. whether or not the bike is ridden. At first, I replaced one
    transmitter thinking it was not shutting down/ shorting during nonuse. The problem continuous on
    both units. At times. it seems that which ever bike I want to ride, I have to steal the battery from
    the other transmitter.

    The transmitter units really don't stay fixed on the fork blades-round or oval- as designed; they
    tend to rotate in and hit the wheel magnet, or out and lose the signal from the magnet. Wire ties do
    not make for the best mounting hardware. As they are mounted, there is a low tolerance range for
    proper operation... it seems there is either physical contact between the wheel magnet/sensing unit
    , or the sensing unit is out of range of the magnet. This happens because the flat surface of the
    wheel sensing unit, cannot be mounted parallel to the plane in which the magnet travels, and be
    close enough to sense the magnet.

    Most recently, the plastic strap that mounts the receiver to the handlebar broke, so I must tape the
    computer/receiver to the handlebar to prevent loosing the computer.

    Neither unit I own is more than 3 years old. ED3