Would it be possible to add your own pins to a cheap 8 speed chainring. I was thinking of drilling some holes, tapping them and semi-countersinking some screws (about 1mm sticking out) in the same pattern as a Shimano chainring. I would not have the ramps and special shaped teeth, but it still might help with the up shifts. Has it been done? Will it work?
Would it be possible to add your own pins to a cheap 8 speed chainring. I was thinking of drilling some holes, tapping them and semi-countersinking some screws (about 1mm sticking out) in the same pattern as a Shimano chainring. I would not have the ramps and special shaped teeth, but it still might help with the up shifts. Has it been done? Will it work?
n
I have done this. I used 4, 3mm x 5mm long flat head hex screws (aka Allen bolts) in roughly the same orientation as the Shimano pins. I drilled and threaded the holes, then screwed the bolts in as tight as possible. This left about 0.5mm exposed. I then cut off the excess thread (opposite the bolt head) with a Dremel tool.
This was on a FSA 39 tooth chainring used as the middle ring on an Ultegra triple. FSA sells a ring specifically for this purpose: http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&d=single&&item_id=FS-RR39M but, like a doofus, I ordered the double ring instead. My adapted ring has worked fine for two years, though.
On 19 Jul 2005 16:30:45 -0700, "Wasatch5k" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Would it be possible to add your own pins to a cheap 8 speed chainring. I was thinking of drilling some holes, tapping them and semi-countersinking some screws (about 1mm sticking out) in the same pattern as a Shimano chainring. I would not have the ramps and special shaped teeth, but it still might help with the up shifts. Has it been done? Will it work?
Given how well the pseudopinned sprockets on the Walgoose work, I think you have a good chance of success. Those Goose rings have pins that are nothing more than formed pimple-shaped bumps; they look like spots where a center punch was employed from the opposite side with the material sitting over a drilling in the support surface that the bump formed itself into. Your proposal should make a better "pin" than that.
I say "Go for it!" -- Typoes are a feature, not a bug. Some gardening required to reply via email. Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
On 19 Jul 2005 16:30:45 -0700, "Wasatch5k" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Would it be possible to add your own pins to a cheap 8 speed chainring. I was thinking of drilling some holes, tapping them and semi-countersinking some screws (about 1mm sticking out) in the same pattern as a Shimano chainring. I would not have the ramps and special shaped teeth, but it still might help with the up shifts. Has it been done? Will it work?
Given how well the pseudopinned sprockets on the Walgoose work, I think you have a good chance of success. Those Goose rings have pins that are nothing more than formed pimple-shaped bumps; they look like spots where a center punch was employed from the opposite side with the material sitting over a drilling in the support surface that the bump formed itself into.
A production engineer would refer to such formations as a "half shear". Makes sense, since the material is halfway to being completely sheared - that is, punched completely out of the sheet.
Quoted message said:
Your proposal should make a better "pin" than that.