Adding power meter to SRAM Red Crank

Patrick Gilmour

Feb 18, 2012
I have a SRAM Red BB30 2011 crankset on my Cannondale SystemSix (2007 frame).

I'm sort of confused.

Can I attach a Quarq to this crankset or do I need to shell out $1500+ for the full crankset (in which case I'm looking at a iBike Newton ;-) )?

Thanks!

Get your checkbook out...it's an integrated system. Not modular.

Per Quark's website Q&A:

Can I install a Quarq on my SRAM crank?
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Unfortunately, the SRAM Red and Force cranks are of a one-piece, monocoq, design. [/COLOR]The SRAM Quarq CinQo mates with a SRAM S975 crank. Older model, carbon cranks, from TruVativ and Bontrager based on the pre-2010 S900 are also compatible.

Then there's those accessories you might like.

And check to see if your front derailleur (YAW?) is compatible with the rings and the BB30 setup you need. Or swap rings as applicable.

I feared as much. Given the finances, I guess this season will be powerless, unless the iBike Newton is reliable. Any opinions?

Patrick Gilmour said:
I feared as much. Given the finances, I guess this season will be powerless, unless the iBike Newton is reliable. Any opinions?
I wouldn't waste money on iBike solutions. If you want to get into power measurement at relatively little expensive, you might want to consider either new PowerTap stuff or the used offerings on eBay.

Are the iBike solutions really that unreliable? I thought for a non-pro the Newton was meant to provide pretty accurate results. Is it just marketing hype?

Patrick Gilmour said:
Are the iBike solutions really that unreliable? I thought for a non-pro the Newton was meant to provide pretty accurate results. Is it just marketing hype?
There are what I consider to be serious issues with iBike that keep it from being considered on par with SRM, Quark, PowerTap, or even Power2Max:
  1. iBike is very sensitive to calibration. The unit requires a calibration for the angle at which it sits on the bike which is sensitive to error if the bike is not perfectly vertical when the calibration is done.
  2. iBike requires coast down calibration to determine coefficients for bike/rider drag and for rolling resistance. This calibration is very sensitive to changes in wind velocity (i.e., speed and direction). This calibration can also be sensitive to changes in pavement condition and road slope. It's very difficult in most places to get constant wind conditions over the course of the calibration.
  3. iBike does not read power well in a peloton.
  4. iBike's mount is relatively inflexible, especially for stem mounting.
Newton has apparently tried to resolve some of those issues, but I'm hesitant to believe those issues are gone. In theory, iBike, in perfect conditions, will work as well as other units, but perfect conditions must include constant road surface, constant wind, perfect calibration, and a rider that never changes position. For the cost of a Newton, you're almost half-way to getting a Power2Max and well within range or closer to the price of used PowerTaps, Quarks, and SRM's on eBay. Certainly there are used PowerTaps on eBay for the $500 ballpark.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm going to put the criticisms to the people on the Newton forum over at iBike to see if they have a comeback. I'll post them here if they do.

I think I'll probably save for a Quarq in the meantime!

Pat