Adding rails to factory Roof Rack for bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Mar 1, 2005.

  1. I was reading that the factory rack is not held on very well and then I
    was looking at some of the roof rack bars that clamp to the factory
    rack and noticed that some of them just hook over the factory rack and
    clamp together. So theoretically you could clamp the bars so tight
    that they rip the factory rack off of the roof?

    I have a 1998 S-10 Blazer with a factory roof rack and I want to
    upgrade it to cary 3 bikes now and then in a few years a 4th bike
    (small child now). I would like to get a Yakima or a Thule but they
    seem so expensive for ocassional use.

    Does anyone else have a blazer with a roof rack that has added bars.

    Yakima had lowriders, thule has a similar product. These appear to
    clamp around the factory rack.

    Pro-Line has one
    http://www.a1-autoracks.com/proline-cb5800-roof-rack-crosspars.html
    Does anyone have one of these?

    Or should I not attach to the factory rack at all?

    Anyother source suggestions? Or compelling reasons to get the Yakima
    or Thule?

    What bike holders do you reccommend? I do not have quick release
    wheels so I do not want to take them off. Thule looks better than
    Yakima in this respect. Any preferences? Any others?

    Thanks

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 1 Mar 2005 09:15:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I have a 1998 S-10 Blazer with a factory roof rack and I want to
    >upgrade it to cary 3 bikes now and then in a few years a 4th bike
    >(small child now). I would like to get a Yakima or a Thule but they
    >seem so expensive for ocassional use.
    >
    >Does anyone else have a blazer with a roof rack that has added bars.

    We added a roof rack to my girlfriend's Blazer. When we were deciding
    what to do we checked out Yakima and Thule racks, and then settled on
    the GM factory rack. It was much cheaper than either the Yakima or
    Thule, and once we got it we found it's actually a re-branded Thule.
    So go visit your local Chevy dealer.

  3. We had a '95 Blazer with Yakima towers and crossbars clamped onto the
    factory racks. The factory racks were sturdy enough to support two 14'
    kayaks and gear without a problem, and we did that for 8 years with that
    truck. The only thing I didn't like about the Yakima system at the time
    were the round cross bars. I think sqare or flat profile bars would have
    been better but we got a deal on the Yakima rack from the store when we
    bought my wife's kayak so that's what we went with. The wife now has a Kia
    Sorento which is taller than the Blazer and therefore harder to load the
    kayaks onto, but I own a Chevy Silverado so that is what we use to haul the
    kayaks with now. The Yakima racks are now just taking up room somewhere in
    my backyard shop.

    Cheers - Jonathan
    --
    Jonathan A. Race
    Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor

    (This message may contain personal opinions and/or information not related
    to my employment or employer)
    news:[email protected]