Adding rear cassette and derailleur to singlespeed folder

cmcanulty

Guest
I have a cheap single speed 16" tire folding bicycle and an old
mountain bike cassette and deraillier and shifter set. The bike has a
rear band brake. Would I be able to add the gears to this bike? I have
a bit of repair skills.

On Oct 30, 8:28 am, cmcanulty <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a cheap single speed 16" tire folding bicycle and an old
> mountain bike cassette and deraillier and shifter set. The bike has a
> rear band brake. Would I be able to add the gears to this bike? I have
> a bit of repair skills.

Probably not. Measure the spacing between the dropouts. The folder
probably has something like 110-120mm spacing, and the geared hub is
probably 130-135mm. Even then, you'd need to figure out a new rear
brake, and cable routing is always a challenge on folders.

If the frame's spacing is 120mm, My suggestion would be to get a 3-
speed hub laced into a new wheel. You can get either a band-brake or a
coaster-brake model, and the spacing is probably the same as your
current hub.