adding water bottle bosses w/out brazing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jpinkowish, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Jpinkowish

    Jpinkowish Guest

    Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?

    Or is this a total dweeb hack?

    Successes? Failures? Tips?

    Jan Pinkowish Bristol, CT

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Jpinkowish <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    >drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?
    >
    >Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    >
    >Successes? Failures? Tips?

    riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a Specialized,
    Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Jpinkowish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? cut.................
    Why bother? Your LBS should be able to supply you with a plastic attachment to let you fit any extra
    water bottle for a couple of pounds. Uses two plastic bands to hold any normal water bottle cage on
    the frame, simple and easy to put on, simple and easy to remove. Durable I used one on a 1700+ mile
    road and trail ride last year with no problems. Pic at:
    http://www.fastload.net/two/picpages/water.html Its a large image so slow loading. peter

  4. Paul Southworth wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Jpinkowish <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    > >drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?
    > >
    > >Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    > >
    > >Successes? Failures? Tips?
    >
    > riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    > inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a Specialized,
    > Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.

    If you are so adventurous you're probably better of using reasonable sized selftapping screws
    instead of big 7mm holes. BTW Whats wrong with hoseclamps?
    --
    Marten

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jpinkowish <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    >>drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?
    >>
    >>Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    >>
    >>Successes? Failures? Tips?
    >

    > riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    > inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a Specialized,
    > Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.

    That will probably work, but unless the seat post is steel and heavy, I'd hesitate to drill it
    because of the possibility of reducing it's strength.

    My LBS has some old adapters that go on the seat post and have the right size tapped hole in it for
    the bottle cage. You just slide them on, put the cage on 'em, position 'em and tighten the bolts
    that hold them in place.

    David

  6. David Kunz wrote:

    > My LBS has some old adapters that go on the seat post and have the right size tapped hole in it
    > for the bottle cage. You just slide them on, put the cage on 'em, position 'em and tighten the
    > bolts that hold them in place.

    I think those are made by Zefal. At least they used to make some.

    Stein

    --
    Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire orpbzr n wrqv!

  7. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I have the TwoFish velcro attached bottle cage and it meets my need.

    http://www.lickbike.com/i3251050.htm

    Kyle

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Southworth wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Jpinkowish <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of
    > >>paint, drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or
    similar to
    > >>attach braze on bosses?
    > >>
    > >>Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    > >>
    > >>Successes? Failures? Tips?
    > >

    > > riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    > > inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a
    > > Specialized, Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.
    > >

    > That will probably work, but unless the seat post is steel and heavy, I'd hesitate to drill it
    > because of the possibility of reducing it's strength.
    >
    > My LBS has some old adapters that go on the seat post and have the right size tapped hole in it
    > for the bottle cage. You just slide them on, put the cage on 'em, position 'em and tighten the
    > bolts that hold them in
    place.

    > David

  8. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "M-Gineering import & framebouw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Southworth wrote:
    > >

    > If you are so adventurous you're probably better of using reasonable sized selftapping screws
    > instead of big 7mm holes. BTW Whats wrong with hoseclamps?
    > --
    > Marten

    Sorry, but hose clamps are SO BUSH LEAGUE!!! I couldn't do it...well, on a beater bike maybe..

    Cheers!

    Scott..

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jpinkowish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    > drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or
    similar to
    > attach braze on bosses?

    A better approach would be RivNuts.

  10. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My preference is not drilling, not limiting myself to a single mounting point

    Here's a whole www page of no-penetration solutions http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss.htm

    "Jpinkowish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    > drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or
    similar to
    > attach braze on bosses?

  11. Stein Ballangrud Andersen <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > David Kunz wrote:
    >
    > > My LBS has some old adapters that go on the seat post and have the right size tapped hole in it
    > > for the bottle cage. You just slide them on, put the cage on 'em, position 'em and tighten the
    > > bolts that hold them in place.
    >
    > I think those are made by Zefal. At least they used to make some.

    A brand called Minoura makes adapters that fit on the handlebar, Litech and Tacx produce adapters
    for the seat (not the seatpost), Tacx and ZĂ©fal have clamps for frametubes.

    Jonathan.

  12. Gmaker

    Gmaker Guest

    Jpinkowish wrote:

    > Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    > drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?
    >
    > Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    >
    > Successes? Failures? Tips?
    >
    > Jan Pinkowish Bristol, CT

    Yes. I have done this on many steel and al bikes. Less stressing of the area than a rivnut. A
    particularly nice adhesive is Devcon "Plastic Welder" Part # S220. -40 > +200 F 3500lb PSI 25ml 2
    part pack. 4 min working time. About US $6.00 I have used this stuff to join just about everything,
    except poly plastics. www.devcon.com

  13. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  14. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:27:03 GMT, David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paul Southworth wrote:
    >>
    >> riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    >> inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a
    >> Specialized, Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.
    >>

    >That will probably work, but unless the seat post is steel and heavy, I'd hesitate to drill it
    >because of the possibility of reducing it's strength.

    Note that my seat tube (you did mean seat tube, right?) is aluminum and light. It was drilled for a
    Riv-Nut at the factory and has been performing satisfactorily for over ten years. The down tube was
    similarly drilled. It hasn't failed either.

  15. In article <[email protected]>, David Kunz
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Paul Southworth wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Jpinkowish <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of paint,
    >>>drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or similar to attach braze on bosses?
    >>>
    >>>Or is this a total dweeb hack?
    >>>
    >>>Successes? Failures? Tips?
    >>

    >> riv-nut or nutsert tool can install a threaded aluminum rivet that is 5x.8mm threading on the
    >> inside. Many bike shops have them - try shops that sell lots of aluminum bikes like a
    >> Specialized, Cannondale, Klein or Trek dealer.
    >>

    >That will probably work, but unless the seat post is steel and heavy, I'd hesitate to drill it
    >because of the possibility of reducing it's strength.

    Do you realize that practically every diamond-frame bike sold in the last 15+ years or so has those
    extra holes drilled in the seat tube for a second bottle cage?

    --Paul

  16. Coal Porter

    Coal Porter Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:09:52 +0200, Stein Ballangrud Andersen <[email protected]> wrote:

    <David Kunz wrote: < <> My LBS has some old adapters that go on the seat post and have the <> right
    size tapped hole in it for the bottle cage. You just slide them <> on, put the cage on 'em, position
    'em and tighten the bolts that hold <> them in place. < <I think those are made by Zefal. At least
    they used to make some. < <Stein < <-- <Lbhe erfvfgnapr gb grzcgngvba vf gbb jrnx. Lbh jvyy arire
    orpbzr n wrqv!

    V znl arire raq hc n Wrqv ohg V tbg n puhpxyr svaqvat bhg :cool:

  17. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    try "diy" water bottle mount' in bike.tech

  18. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Do RivNuts require special tools to install?

    Where do you get them - hardware store?

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Jpinkowish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can one add water bottle bosses to a steel seat tube w/out welding? Remove small amount of
    > > paint, drill pilot holes, and use JB Weld or
    > similar to
    > > attach braze on bosses?
    >
    > A better approach would be RivNuts.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  19. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do RivNuts require special tools to install? Where do you get them - hardware store?

    A RivNut is similar to a pop rivet but instead of being drawn by a breakaway nail there is a
    threaded center. That requires a threaded setting tool. You probably could use an SAE 10-32 threaded
    RivNut ( the thread is very close to a metric m5x0.8 thread) from a hardware store, but I would
    recommend a competent LBS who will have both the tool and the RivNuts in metric.