Additional Training Time

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
Hello all,

I'll start off with alittle bit of background info. I am a duathlete and my goal race is 5km run, 40km bike, 10km run. I have the next 5 months to train for the race. Essentially I have written out my schedule and included all my key workouts roughly 4 running and 4 cycling. However, I have a significant amount of time to train.

I am only working 3 days a week, Monday 10hours (natural rest day) and Wednesday 3-4 hours in the evening when it's dark and Thursday 2 hours. All my "other" time is free time and I can (want to) dedicate to training. How should I do that? For example, if Tuesday, I do a run in the morning for 45min to an hour (key workout). Should I hit the bike for (how long???) what zone? Should I do the bike like a brick and ride right after the run or wait until the late afternoon? or am I better off to rest for the next key workout?

I'm open to advise...

EvilGoodGuy said:
Hello all,

I'll start off with alittle bit of background info. I am a duathlete and my goal race is 5km run, 40km bike, 10km run. I have the next 5 months to train for the race. Essentially I have written out my schedule and included all my key workouts roughly 4 running and 4 cycling. However, I have a significant amount of time to train.

I am only working 3 days a week, Monday 10hours (natural rest day) and Wednesday 3-4 hours in the evening when it's dark and Thursday 2 hours. All my "other" time is free time and I can (want to) dedicate to training. How should I do that? For example, if Tuesday, I do a run in the morning for 45min to an hour (key workout). Should I hit the bike for (how long???) what zone? Should I do the bike like a brick and ride right after the run or wait until the late afternoon? or am I better off to rest for the next key workout?

I'm open to advise...
I'm no expert, and I don't have any super specific suggestions, just remember that you're training to be fast for two relatively short runs and a short bike, it's not ultra endurance. So you're training should probably be geared towards brick interval workouts, to build speed in two disciplines in the same workout.