Adelaide cycling (and other) trip

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DeF, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. DeF

    DeF Guest

    Hello Fellow Wheelers.

    Got back from Adelaide yesterday after two weeks of cycling
    focussed holiday. Got to see lots of TdU and did a couple of
    races myself. The Adelaide hills are a fantastic place to ride
    a bike. Of course, I'm biased as I grew up there. Saw lots of
    riders.

    The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
    even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
    the festival centre) was lightly attended. We got a viewing
    position right by the finish line. Lots of good viewing places
    throughout the hills - a good day out on the bike to follow
    the race.

    My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
    got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
    dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
    circuit that killed me. I lasted about 25 minutes before getting
    lapped. I dropped out and saved myself for the 35km ride to
    Mt Pleasant where my lift home was waiting for me.

    Second, was much more "fun". 56km handicap circuit from
    Yankalilla. I was sent off in the middle of the field with
    about 15 other riders. On the first flat section of the course,
    we straight away got into a nice roll-over doing around 42-45.
    This lasted for about 10kms when the hills started. This is where
    we caught the first of the riders that where sent of before us. They
    called out things like "well, that's us gone, good luck fellahs".
    If I could speak, I would have said thanks. These small
    hills sorted out the group which broke up a bit but I managed
    to stay with the leaders (down to around 8 riders). Then we
    hit the real hill - about 5km of up and the day was heating up.
    All formation and rhythm was gone - it was each rider against
    the hill. My heart rate shot up to 175bpm and stayed there for
    longer that I thought it could. After that, I got into a bit
    of rhythm along the top of the range. Picked up a few "passengers"
    as I passed them. Managed to latch onto a couple of faster
    groups but sometimes got dropped up the hills. Towards the end,
    there was a very steep descent (a rider at the start who had
    driven the course the previous day warned me about it). I hit
    81.3kph down this hill. A couple more undulations and we're
    back to the start - ride time 1:43, average speed 33kph. I
    finished about 10 minutes behind the winner (I think) in the
    second of two large groups. I was utterly stuffed, the hardest
    ride I've done. My legs were pretty sore for a day or two - not
    something that usually happens, even for the TTs or crits I've done.
    Obviously I'm not trying hard enough. Maybe next year.

    Cheers,
    Duncan.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Duncan, I'm impressed: no whining about the heat! It looked pretty bad
    from the weather reports. Last time I went to the TDU the crowds were
    big, so perhaps the heat kept them away?

    Donga

  3. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:50:30 +0800, DeF <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
    >even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
    >the festival centre) was lightly attended.

    Rather than ride in the heat I watched the coverage Fri/Sat/Sun.

    Tues: rode into town and we set up at a cafe before the woman's race.
    Got lost riding home on Marion Rd! Missed the right onto Sturt Rd,
    must have been having to much fun.

    >My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
    >got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
    >dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
    >circuit that killed me.

    Me too, was graded in C vs my normal F.
    Got regraded to E and lost sight after 1.5 laps, wasn't prepared to hurt myself
    on that hill to keep contact. Enjoyed the circuit and I got to pick my line.

    And then we got to see the tour defining break and then Gerrans' win.

    Thursday, I drove to Stirling and rode to Handorf via ?Balhannah? with a group.
    Lots of other riders about. Fun. Pity about the melting tar. Hopefully next year will be cooler.

    Andre

  4. DeF

    DeF Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > Duncan, I'm impressed: no whining about the heat! It looked pretty bad
    > from the weather reports. Last time I went to the TDU the crowds were
    > big, so perhaps the heat kept them away?
    >
    > Donga

    It was hot - I went through two 750ml bottles in the handicap race.
    This race was the same day as the "Be Active" ride which has been
    discussed in another thread. My race started at 7:30am (with a little
    drizzle!) so we escaped the worst of it.

    Difficult to see why the crowds were down so much. Heat may have been
    a factor but it doesn't seem enough to me. Perhaps the novelty has
    worn off? Even the corporate boxes on King William weren't full for
    the crit. This was the first professional race I'd gone to watch and
    I thought it was fantastic. However, if the sound of a free-hub
    doesn't cause you to instinctively turn your head, I can see how it
    might be a bit dull. There aren't enough cycle nuts to get the crowd
    6 deep along the barriers here.

    I added an Ochre jersey to my wardrobe (although it just looks
    orange to me - Basque influence perhaps?)

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  5. DeF

    DeF Guest

    Aeek wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:50:30 +0800, DeF <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
    >> even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
    >> the festival centre) was lightly attended.

    > Rather than ride in the heat I watched the coverage Fri/Sat/Sun.
    >
    > Tues: rode into town and we set up at a cafe before the woman's race.
    > Got lost riding home on Marion Rd! Missed the right onto Sturt Rd,
    > must have been having to much fun.
    >
    >> My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
    >> got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
    >> dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
    >> circuit that killed me.

    > Me too, was graded in C vs my normal F.
    > Got regraded to E and lost sight after 1.5 laps, wasn't prepared to hurt myself
    > on that hill to keep contact. Enjoyed the circuit and I got to pick my line.
    >
    > And then we got to see the tour defining break and then Gerrans' win.

    I was put into B grade when I should have been in D. I race B grade
    here in Perth with the vets.

    > Thursday, I drove to Stirling and rode to Handorf via ?Balhannah? with a group.
    > Lots of other riders about. Fun. Pity about the melting tar. Hopefully next year will be cooler.

    Were you on the Bike SA ride that started at Stirling? I was going to
    go on that but left early due to family commitments. I had a nice (but
    warm) ride through Aldgate, Mylor (down Aldgate Valley Road, the
    nicest bit of tar in the hills), Echunga (over the KoM), Mt Barker
    then Hahndorf to watch the race.

    > Andre

    Cheers,
    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  6. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004

    yes and no, due the the temp it wasn't an "official" BikeSA ride.