Adelaide cycling (and other) trip

DeF

Guest
Hello Fellow Wheelers.

Got back from Adelaide yesterday after two weeks of cycling
focussed holiday. Got to see lots of TdU and did a couple of
races myself. The Adelaide hills are a fantastic place to ride
a bike. Of course, I'm biased as I grew up there. Saw lots of
riders.

The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
the festival centre) was lightly attended. We got a viewing
position right by the finish line. Lots of good viewing places
throughout the hills - a good day out on the bike to follow
the race.

My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
circuit that killed me. I lasted about 25 minutes before getting
lapped. I dropped out and saved myself for the 35km ride to
Mt Pleasant where my lift home was waiting for me.

Second, was much more "fun". 56km handicap circuit from
Yankalilla. I was sent off in the middle of the field with
about 15 other riders. On the first flat section of the course,
we straight away got into a nice roll-over doing around 42-45.
This lasted for about 10kms when the hills started. This is where
we caught the first of the riders that where sent of before us. They
called out things like "well, that's us gone, good luck fellahs".
If I could speak, I would have said thanks. These small
hills sorted out the group which broke up a bit but I managed
to stay with the leaders (down to around 8 riders). Then we
hit the real hill - about 5km of up and the day was heating up.
All formation and rhythm was gone - it was each rider against
the hill. My heart rate shot up to 175bpm and stayed there for
longer that I thought it could. After that, I got into a bit
of rhythm along the top of the range. Picked up a few "passengers"
as I passed them. Managed to latch onto a couple of faster
groups but sometimes got dropped up the hills. Towards the end,
there was a very steep descent (a rider at the start who had
driven the course the previous day warned me about it). I hit
81.3kph down this hill. A couple more undulations and we're
back to the start - ride time 1:43, average speed 33kph. I
finished about 10 minutes behind the winner (I think) in the
second of two large groups. I was utterly stuffed, the hardest
ride I've done. My legs were pretty sore for a day or two - not
something that usually happens, even for the TTs or crits I've done.
Obviously I'm not trying hard enough. Maybe next year.

Cheers,
Duncan.

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

Duncan, I'm impressed: no whining about the heat! It looked pretty bad
from the weather reports. Last time I went to the TDU the crowds were
big, so perhaps the heat kept them away?

Donga

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:50:30 +0800, DeF <[email protected]> wrote:

>The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
>even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
>the festival centre) was lightly attended.

Rather than ride in the heat I watched the coverage Fri/Sat/Sun.

Tues: rode into town and we set up at a cafe before the woman's race.
Got lost riding home on Marion Rd! Missed the right onto Sturt Rd,
must have been having to much fun.

>My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
>got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
>dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
>circuit that killed me.

Me too, was graded in C vs my normal F.
Got regraded to E and lost sight after 1.5 laps, wasn't prepared to hurt myself
on that hill to keep contact. Enjoyed the circuit and I got to pick my line.

And then we got to see the tour defining break and then Gerrans' win.

Thursday, I drove to Stirling and rode to Handorf via ?Balhannah? with a group.
Lots of other riders about. Fun. Pity about the melting tar. Hopefully next year will be cooler.

Andre

Donga wrote:
> Duncan, I'm impressed: no whining about the heat! It looked pretty bad
> from the weather reports. Last time I went to the TDU the crowds were
> big, so perhaps the heat kept them away?
>
> Donga

It was hot - I went through two 750ml bottles in the handicap race.
This race was the same day as the "Be Active" ride which has been
discussed in another thread. My race started at 7:30am (with a little
drizzle!) so we escaped the worst of it.

Difficult to see why the crowds were down so much. Heat may have been
a factor but it doesn't seem enough to me. Perhaps the novelty has
worn off? Even the corporate boxes on King William weren't full for
the crit. This was the first professional race I'd gone to watch and
I thought it was fantastic. However, if the sound of a free-hub
doesn't cause you to instinctively turn your head, I can see how it
might be a bit dull. There aren't enough cycle nuts to get the crowd
6 deep along the barriers here.

I added an Ochre jersey to my wardrobe (although it just looks
orange to me - Basque influence perhaps?)

DeF.

--

Aeek wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:50:30 +0800, DeF <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The TdU is very easy to follow. The crowds were pretty small,
>> even the last stage in Adelaide (a crit which finishes opposite
>> the festival centre) was lightly attended.

> Rather than ride in the heat I watched the coverage Fri/Sat/Sun.
>
> Tues: rode into town and we set up at a cafe before the woman's race.
> Got lost riding home on Marion Rd! Missed the right onto Sturt Rd,
> must have been having to much fun.
>
>> My two races: First, a criterium in Anguston in the Barossa. I
>> got put in too higher grade (by about two grades) and got
>> dropped after 1.5 laps. There was a *very* nasty hill on the
>> circuit that killed me.

> Me too, was graded in C vs my normal F.
> Got regraded to E and lost sight after 1.5 laps, wasn't prepared to hurt myself
> on that hill to keep contact. Enjoyed the circuit and I got to pick my line.
>
> And then we got to see the tour defining break and then Gerrans' win.

I was put into B grade when I should have been in D. I race B grade
here in Perth with the vets.

> Thursday, I drove to Stirling and rode to Handorf via ?Balhannah? with a group.
> Lots of other riders about. Fun. Pity about the melting tar. Hopefully next year will be cooler.

Were you on the Bike SA ride that started at Stirling? I was going to
go on that but left early due to family commitments. I had a nice (but
warm) ride through Aldgate, Mylor (down Aldgate Valley Road, the
nicest bit of tar in the hills), Echunga (over the KoM), Mt Barker
then Hahndorf to watch the race.

> Andre

Cheers,
DeF.

--

DeF said:
Aeek wrote:

> Thursday, I drove to Stirling and rode to Handorf via ?Balhannah? with a group.
> Lots of other riders about. Fun. Pity about the melting tar. Hopefully next year will be cooler.

Were you on the Bike SA ride that started at Stirling?

yes and no, due the the temp it wasn't an "official" BikeSA ride.