Adequacy of a Raw/Vegan Diet

Femme

Guest
From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious B12
and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency were to
occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?

Femme <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

> From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious
> B12 and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency
> were to occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?

``Vegan Sources for Vitamin D''

http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/Nutrition-Q2.html

``Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12''

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm#reliable

As far as is currently known, these are the biggest challenges among the micronutrients for vegans.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

B12 can be used as a substrate when growing fungi and yeasts, and these foods could contribute
appropriate vitamin B12. However mineral such as Calcium, Iron and others are bound up in fibres,
interact with Oxalic acid or phytates, thus lowering mineral bioavailability. another point to
consider: many amino acid can potentially become conditionally essential in plant based diets as the
appropriate Amino Acids may/ may not be in the required ammounts.

"Tim Tyler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Femme <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
>
> > From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious
> > B12 and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency
> > were to occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?
>
> ``Vegan Sources for Vitamin D''
>
> http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/Nutrition-Q2.html
>
> ``Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12''
>
> http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm#reliable
>
> As far as is currently known, these are the biggest challenges among the micronutrients
> for vegans.
> --
> __________
> |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

i have been vegan myself for 6 years now; 24, male, 5' 11",
175 lbs, very sportive.

i have not had any problems whatsoever - my blood values -
which i have checked on a yearly basis are always superb.
the only 2 values that arent in the ideal range are
cholestoerol - which is right below the lower limit and the
yellow blood color (i just cant think of the scientific
name) is too high, and always has been. its a hereditary
thing according to my doctor.

the only thing, except trying to not just eat junk food,
that i do, to prevent any side effects of veganism is,
that i take one natures best essential daily vitamin pill
per day. i dont know if i need it, but i guess it wont
harm. also if i buy a multivit juice or rice milk for
example, id rather take the one with b12 supplements than
the one without.

both in europe as well as in rural and urban america its
actually rather easy by now, to live vegan - even without
having to go to a lot of organic food stores, i find it not
too hard to find sufficient foods at normal grocery stores.

sid

graphic design programming extraordinaire stargraphX.com

news:[email protected]...