Adequacy of a Raw/Vegan Diet

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Femme, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Femme

    Femme Guest

    From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious B12
    and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency were to
    occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?

    Tags:

  2. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Femme <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

    > From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious
    > B12 and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency
    > were to occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?

    ``Vegan Sources for Vitamin D''

    http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/Nutrition-Q2.html

    ``Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12''

    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm#reliable

    As far as is currently known, these are the biggest challenges among the micronutrients for vegans.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

  3. Andrew Kelly

    Andrew Kelly Guest

    B12 can be used as a substrate when growing fungi and yeasts, and these foods could contribute
    appropriate vitamin B12. However mineral such as Calcium, Iron and others are bound up in fibres,
    interact with Oxalic acid or phytates, thus lowering mineral bioavailability. another point to
    consider: many amino acid can potentially become conditionally essential in plant based diets as the
    appropriate Amino Acids may/ may not be in the required ammounts.

    "Tim Tyler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Femme <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    >
    > > From a nutritional standpoint, how adequate is a raw/living food vegan diet? Besides the obvious
    > > B12 and vitamin D, are there any nutrients available solely from animal sources? If a deficiency
    > > were to occur on such a diet, could it be remedied by the addition of raw egg yolks or dairy?
    >
    > ``Vegan Sources for Vitamin D''
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/Nutrition-Q2.html
    >
    > ``Reliable Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12''
    >
    > http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm#reliable
    >
    > As far as is currently known, these are the biggest challenges among the micronutrients
    > for vegans.
    > --
    > __________
    > |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

  4. Sid

    Sid Guest

    i have been vegan myself for 6 years now; 24, male, 5' 11",
    175 lbs, very sportive.

    i have not had any problems whatsoever - my blood values -
    which i have checked on a yearly basis are always superb.
    the only 2 values that arent in the ideal range are
    cholestoerol - which is right below the lower limit and the
    yellow blood color (i just cant think of the scientific
    name) is too high, and always has been. its a hereditary
    thing according to my doctor.

    the only thing, except trying to not just eat junk food,
    that i do, to prevent any side effects of veganism is,
    that i take one natures best essential daily vitamin pill
    per day. i dont know if i need it, but i guess it wont
    harm. also if i buy a multivit juice or rice milk for
    example, id rather take the one with b12 supplements than
    the one without.

    both in europe as well as in rural and urban america its
    actually rather easy by now, to live vegan - even without
    having to go to a lot of organic food stores, i find it not
    too hard to find sufficient foods at normal grocery stores.

    sid

    graphic design programming extraordinaire stargraphX.com

    news:[email protected]...