ADGA La Chatillonnaise Saddles - rare ? Junk ?

Bob

Guest
A friend who buys "old stuff" ran across one of these leather saddles.

Is it rare or desirable or just another wanna-be saddle from the
70's/80's ?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:02:18 GMT, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>A friend who buys "old stuff" ran across one of these leather saddles.
>
>Is it rare or desirable or just another wanna-be saddle from the
>70's/80's ?

Anyone ? Now that I've seen it first hand, it looks kind of run of the
mill, comparable to a steel rivet B17 brooks. Any comments on the
company or possible origins of this saddle ?

Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:02:18 GMT, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A friend who buys "old stuff" ran across one of these leather saddles.
> >
> >Is it rare or desirable or just another wanna-be saddle from the
> >70's/80's ?

> Anyone ? Now that I've seen it first hand, it looks kind of run of the
> mill, comparable to a steel rivet B17 brooks. Any comments on the
> company or possible origins of this saddle ?

This was a leather (some said quasi-leather, i.e. from leather fibres
instead of an actual piece of hide, but I doubt that) saddle common on
bicycle such as the Peugeot U0-8 (i.e. French bicycles with 1020 (high
carbon) steel frames, steel cottered cranks, Simplex gears, Mafac
brakes, steel rims). I had one (the saddle, not the U0-8) and it was
not right for me, but not that bad and certainly much better than
plastic saddles of the era. Underneath it has some sort of
reinforcement layer which some said was cardboard. It was not, but I
don't know what it was.

I don't think it is collectible except perhaps for someone trying to
restore a beloved U0-8 or similar to its exact original condition. But
a Brooks would be better... as would a PX-10. A Brooks B17 is a much
higher quality product, likely much more comfortable for most people
too. But you never know that until you try, unless you are good
eyballing these things.

On 21 Apr 2006 09:29:59 -0700, "41" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Anyone ? Now that I've seen it first hand, it looks kind of run of the
>> mill, comparable to a steel rivet B17 brooks. Any comments on the
>> company or possible origins of this saddle ?

>This was a leather (some said quasi-leather, i.e. from leather fibres
>instead of an actual piece of hide, but I doubt that) saddle common on
>bicycle such as the Peugeot U0-8 (i.e. French bicycles with 1020 (high
>carbon) steel frames, steel cottered cranks, Simplex gears, Mafac
>brakes, steel rims). I had one (the saddle, not the U0-8) and it was
>not right for me, but not that bad and certainly much better than
>plastic saddles of the era. Underneath it has some sort of
>reinforcement layer which some said was cardboard. It was not, but I
>don't know what it was.
>
>I don't think it is collectible except perhaps for someone trying to
>restore a beloved U0-8 or similar to its exact original condition. But
>a Brooks would be better... as would a PX-10. A Brooks B17 is a much
>higher quality product, likely much more comfortable for most people
>too. But you never know that until you try, unless you are good
>eyballing these things.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Bob