Adieu or Au revoir, Lance

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, Jul 24, 2005.

1. bobke

bobke New Member

Thanks to Lance for the following:

Sestrieres, The Ride for the Roses, Metz, Amstel 2001 losing to Dekker, Postal and Disco, Hautacam, "When the soup is good, all is good"; Its not about the bike, cycling in America, 7, The Look and the Handshake, yellow wristbands, and on and on...

What an inspiration.

What about you guys?

Tags:

2. wolfix

wolfix New Member

And because of his popularity , the OLN coverage that we get to see in the USA.

3. Tonto

Tonto New Member

What is this 'The Look' think that everyone keeps on about?

4. wolfix

wolfix New Member

The "Look" is another myth created by the cycling press.... It has to do with the French & Italian love of stylish fashion. OK.... We are so used to seeing Lance in yellow that the youth of America & Europe have started to wear yellow jerseys and "LiveStrong" bracelets as a fashion design. The Fashion guru's of France & Italy such as Descente, Pearle Izumi, Louis Garneau. Santani ...... all those jet set fashion designers.....
    So , when a person see's another person wearing yellow as a fashion statement they are described as having "The Look."

5. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

I want to thank Lance for something highly personal in my life.

My father died a long, painful death of lung and bone cancer in early 1999...his death was the hardest thing I'd ever had to face. A few months later, Lance won his first TDF--and every year since my father's death, he has won. I felt almost as if Lance was racing for my father (a silly thought, but it helped me survive the last seven years).

Not sure what I'll do next summer when I won't have my "training wheels" (Lance) to help me in this...not sure if I can "ride" without him there by my side. I saw Lance's wins as fighting back against the cancer that stole my father from me too soon. But maybe Lance's retirement is Someone's way of telling me its now time to move on, and let my father rest in peace.

6. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

The look happened in the 2001 TDF and is considered the moment at which LA won the tour that year. He had fallen off his bike, ridden back up to Ullrich, then at the base of Alpe d'Huez, LA turned around and took a good long look at Ullrich to see how much he had left (some say it was a stare down). Then LA took off like something furious had crawlen up his ass.

Here's a pic:

http://a104.g.akamai.net/7/104/1751/0001/www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/images/2001/$file/thelook.jpg

7. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

Well, there's also 'the look' that Armstrong gave Ullrich in 2001 on L'Alpe D'Huez

8. davidbod

davidbod New Member

Get yourself to Austin, Tx each October for 'The Ride for the Roses' and you can relive it each year. You can ride along many other cancer survivors or those riding in rememberance of others who have passed. Its a great ride and there are usualy plenty of pro riders and celebs there as well.

9. artnshel

artnshel New Member

Really I already miss him and the tour won't be the same next year. But I guess that is both bad and good.

10. tinks

tinks New Member

Goodbye to Armstrong and good riddance to those annoying cut-away shots of Sheryl Crow.

11. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Stage thanks:

Ventoux 2000 (two master climbers in action)
    Alpe d'Huez 2001 (this is how you do it)
    Alpe d'Huez 2003 (A contrast from 2001, constant attacks, but you didn't crack)
    1st TT, 2003 (never give up)
    Luz Ardiden 2003 (never give up, and win this time)
    Alpe d'Huez 2004 (Hi, Ivan!)
    Final TT, 2005 (Hi, Mickael! One last time...)

Personal thanks:

For using your prominence to highlight a disease that claimed both of my parents, and if medical history is to be believed, may try to claim me.

For getting me back on a bike after 15 years off. Why did I ever quit? I'm turning in times that rival what I was doing at age 21.

For taking seven years of insults and false accusations, and not rising to the bait. You define mental discipline, on the road and off. (note to the Lance detractors - all you did was piss him off, which makes him ride harder. Thanks for helping him win 7)

12. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

13. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Lance was in Maillot Jaurn when "The crash" happened (when a fan snagged LA's handlebars with an empty Musette). That was 2003.

"The Look" (2001) refers to Lance turning around and looking at Jan Ullrich and shouting "Are you coming with me ?" after Jan attacked Lance on the last climb on L'Alpe d'Huez.

14. rejobako

rejobako New Member

Correct; although I don't think Lance actually said anything. The comment was inferred by Phil/Paul in dramatizing their commentary of the stage. if I'm not mistaken, "the look" was the same duel where Lance faked illness and let Jan and the others burn themselves out trying to lose him.

15. lwedge

lwedge New Member

That's it exactly...."The Bluff" or is that "The Look" :D Oh well, he bluffed'em, he blew'em up and then he look'em in the eye.

I did hear though that he asked Jan if he was, coming with him as he was passing Jan, man what a bluff that was. Oh well, emphasis on the word "hear" I have no link to back it up.

I will tell you one thing, we will see some great cycle racing in our future but I will miss the rivalry between Lance and Jan a great deal. Both of these guys are outstanding people and cyclists in my book.