adjust PD-M515 pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Can shimano PD-M515 pedal bearings be adjusted or overhauled? I have one that is smooth and one
    that is 'indexed' or a bit rough in turning. I attempted to unscrew the grey plastic piece on the
    spindle which appears to hold the bearings in place, but it only came out about a cm, then wouldn't
    move anymore.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can shimano PD-M515 pedal bearings be adjusted or overhauled?

    Yes.

    >I have one that is smooth and one that is 'indexed' or a bit rough in turning. I attempted to
    >unscrew the grey plastic piece on the spindle which appears to hold the bearings in place, but it
    >only came out about a cm, then wouldn't move anymore.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The plastic sleeve is easiest to remove with the tool Shimano sells for that purpose (relatively
    cheaply for a change, remembering the cost of the tool needed to tighten the locknuts in an older
    generation of Shimano SPD pedals),

    see http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5968.htm for tool

    Bear in mind that one of the sleeves is threaded left handed. They should be relatively easy to undo
    by hand using wear a pair of stout gloves for protection.

    You can then simply clean the bearings without removing them from the cartridge assemmbly, re-pack
    with lots of grease and re-assemble (I have found that squeakiness soon manifests itself if you
    don't put losts of grease right to the bottom of the hole in the pedal body).

    You could remove the ball bearings completely, I have done this, but they are small and the assembly
    fiddly to work with so I would advise trying cleaning/greasing with the bearings in situ to see if
    that solves the problem.

  3. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Now I see why the tool is necessary, I attempted to unscrew the plastic sleeve with a pair of
    channel locks, and the sleeve rode up on the wider part of the pedal spindle (near where the wrench
    flats are) and broke into pieces - whoops - the shimano tool surrounds the entire sleeve and must
    prevent this. The pedal still seems to hold together fine, I just won't have the easy ability to
    unscrew the spindle again, and some degree of sealing may be lost.

    No chance those sleeves are replaceable is there?

    Thanks.

    "Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Can shimano PD-M515 pedal bearings be adjusted or overhauled?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > >I have one that is smooth and one that is 'indexed' or a bit rough in turning. I attempted to
    > >unscrew the grey plastic piece on the spindle which appears
    > > hold the bearings in place, but it only came out about a cm, then
    wouldn't
    > > move anymore.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > The plastic sleeve is easiest to remove with the tool Shimano sells for that purpose (relatively
    > cheaply for a change, remembering the cost of the tool needed to tighten the locknuts in an older
    > generation of Shimano SPD pedals),
    >
    > see http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5968.htm for tool
    >
    > Bear in mind that one of the sleeves is threaded left handed. They should be relatively easy to
    > undo by hand using wear a pair of stout gloves for protection.
    >
    > You can then simply clean the bearings without removing them from the cartridge assemmbly, re-pack
    > with lots of grease and re-assemble (I have found that squeakiness soon manifests itself if you
    > don't put losts of grease right to the bottom of the hole in the pedal body).
    >
    > You could remove the ball bearings completely, I have done this, but they are small and the
    > assembly fiddly to work with so I would advise trying cleaning/greasing with the bearings in situ
    > to see if that solves the problem.

  4. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Looks like I need a new bearing-retaining collar, and apparently there are aftermarket aluminum
    versions of these...see:

    http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mtbclub/care&upkeep/spd/steps.html

    I'll post another thread and see if anyone has these.