adjustable bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Mills, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Dave Mills

    Dave Mills Guest

    OK, This may be a naive question but here goes:

    I am using an experimental crank setup that requires me to use a
    standard taper BB (have some biomechanical issues). The BB my fit guru
    installed is a 113 mm shimano cartridge. The clearance between ring and
    frame is pretty tight with this set up. I'd like to lighten up a little
    bit and have an old 110 mm World Class Ti bracket in my spare parts
    box. I've never mounted a BB, btu they advertise this as "infinately
    adjustable" since there is no lock ring- "both cups adjustable". Will I
    simply be able to mount the 110 BB 1.5mm offset to the right side to
    make it work or would I need some type of spacer? Or am I foolish to
    try this and should I look for a 113mm bracket? It is hard to find a
    light weight Ti taper bracket these days- any one have one for sale?

    -DM

    Tags:

  2. Dave Mills wrote:
    > I'd like to lighten up a little
    > bit and have an old 110 mm World Class Ti bracket in my spare parts
    > box. I've never mounted a BB, btu they advertise this as "infinately

    > adjustable" since there is no lock ring- "both cups adjustable".

    Will I
    > simply be able to mount the 110 BB 1.5mm offset to the right side to
    > make it work or would I need some type of spacer? Or am I foolish

    > try this and should I look for a 113mm bracket? It is hard to find a

    > light weight Ti taper bracket these days- any one have one for sale?
    >
    > -DM

    Actually a reasonably intelligent question. As far as I can tell, your
    arrangement should work, unless there isn't enough clearance for the
    left crankarm. You should not need a spacer- in fact, there's no way to
    use a spacer for what you're asking.

    Here's a picture of a World Class BB:
    http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_brackets/wclass.html

    Jeff

  3. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Dave Mills wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to lighten up a little
    >>bit and have an old 110 mm World Class Ti bracket in my spare parts
    >>box. I've never mounted a BB, btu they advertise this as "infinately

    >>adjustable" since there is no lock ring- "both cups adjustable".

    > Will I
    >
    >>simply be able to mount the 110 BB 1.5mm offset to the right side to
    >>make it work or would I need some type of spacer? Or am I foolish

    >>try this and should I look for a 113mm bracket? It is hard to find a

    >>light weight Ti taper bracket these days- any one have one for sale?
    >>
    >>-DM

    > Actually a reasonably intelligent question. As far as I can tell, your
    > arrangement should work, unless there isn't enough clearance for the
    > left crankarm. You should not need a spacer- in fact, there's no way to
    > use a spacer for what you're asking.
    >
    > Here's a picture of a World Class BB:
    > http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_brackets/wclass.html
    >
    > Jeff

    I agree with Jeff to a point but it might be better to find an
    adjustable 113mm so you can maintain left/right alignment for your
    knees. This won't be severe with 3mm either way but if it looks more
    like 6-7mm you should think about this. I have tried it and the ride is
    funky. I didn't damage my knees but it rides differently than my other
    bike and there are still 113mm adjustable BBs around like Real Design,
    WTB, etc. They take some hunting down but they are out there.

    Terry