Adjustable olympic pool bottom?

Bruce W.1

Guest
Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size pool
where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why would this
be desireable?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size pool
> where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why would
> this be desireable?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I find the best local alternative, swim bench aside, is yoga & wall climbing. Rowing is good too,
but I no longer have access to a any equipment, or a place to row.

--Mike

Bruce W.1 wrote:

> Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size pool
> where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why would
> this be desireable?
>
> Thanks for your help.

The university I went too (Lethbridge) also had, in the shallow end, an adjustable bottom. The
bottom, in conjunction with 2 bulkheads gave the facility a _very_ flexible pool. Parent & tot
lessons to scuba classes & everything in between.

--Mike

There are quite a few of those adjustable bottom pools in The Netherlands. Here they are very useful
for different groups, and some bottoms can be lifted all the way to the top as to make an isolation
layer over the water.

"Bruce W.1" wrote:
> Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size pool
> where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why would
> this be desireable?

I guess the reason is to allow more flexibility in the use of the pool.

Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Pool, the venue for many masters events in Tokyo, has a main
pool with a bottom that ranges from 1.4 to 3 meters. For open swimming they keep 3/4s of the pool at
2 meters and
1/4 at 1.4. meters. You can practice dive starts in one lane. Sometimes they have the whole pool set
to 1.4 meters. I've never seen it set to 3 meters. Annoyingly, for masters meets they set it to
1.4 or 1.6, which I think would make dive starts more dangerous for the relatively inexperienced
masters swimmers. Since Tatsumi has a second 50-meter pool that is a fixed 1.2 to
2.4 meter depth, I don't really understand why they just didn't make the main pool a fixed 2
or 3 meters.

I would love to be able to experience swimming in 3 meter water, but they seem to not want to use
that setting. At the Chiba International General Swimming Center, they use the 5-meter deep,
25-meter square diving pool as the warm-up pool during meets, and that is really fun to swim in, for
some mysterious psychological reason.

"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size pool
> where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why would
> this be desireable?
>
> Thanks for your help.

My kids play Water Polo. They have competed in the UK in a couple of these pools - it is hard on
Phil, my eldest, who plays goalie, and usually gets to stand in the shallow end - with these pools
they literally take the floor from under you!

"Mike Edey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bruce W.1 wrote:
>
> > Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size
> > pool where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why
> > would this be desireable?
>
> The university I went too (Lethbridge) also had, in the shallow end, an adjustable bottom. The
> bottom, in conjunction with 2 bulkheads gave the facility a _very_ flexible pool.

I swam in the pool used for the swimming events at the Montreal Olympic Games, and it had
what I think they called a portable bottom, which made a part of the pool available for
lessons and such.

Carole Benton wrote:
> My kids play Water Polo. They have competed in the UK in a couple of these pools - it is hard on
> Phil, my eldest, who plays goalie, and usually gets to stand in the shallow end - with these pools
> they literally take the floor from under you!

The pool needs to be 1.8 meters deep (preferably 2 meters) to be in compliance with FINA rules. The
skill of constantly sculling with your arms and legs to stay about the surface is a key skill for
water polo and is the reason why these guys are in such good shape.

There is a male synchronized swimming group in Japan that goes around doing exhibitions. There was a
movie made about them, and now there is a television series (described here in English:
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/en/program/new_prog/d_waterboys.html ). These guys are doing their synchro
in 1.4 meter deep pools though. They can stand on the bottom and launch themselves or other members
into the air. From an athletic standpoint, the women who perform in deep pools are much more
impressive. One of the coaches at my swimming center said that the lung capacity of the women
synchro swimmers is almost double that of elite male competitive swimmers.

j. sterling wrote:
> "Mike Edey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Bruce W.1 wrote:
>>

>>>Just visitted a new rec center at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. They have an olympic size
>>>pool where the bottom can be adjusted in shape and depth from 3' to 15'. What's with that? Why
>>>would this be desireable?
>>
>>The university I went too (Lethbridge) also had, in the shallow end, an adjustable bottom. The
>>bottom, in conjunction with 2 bulkheads gave the facility a _very_ flexible pool.
>

> I swam in the pool used for the swimming events at the Montreal Olympic Games, and it had
> what I think they called a portable bottom, which made a part of the pool available for
> lessons and such.

mmm, the only time I've been there was for trials, though they did have, IIRC, some mesh thing, you
could stand on, during workouts before the meet

--Mike

The one in Melbourne, Australia, is like that. It is actually a 75m pool with two booms so it can
have a 50m with a 25m at either end, or three 25s, or as is done for Fina World Cups, the centre 25
is for competition and the floor on the end 25 is raised above water level to form a stage for the
presentations.

> There are quite a few of those adjustable bottom pools in The Netherlands. Here they are very
> useful for different groups, and some bottoms can be lifted all the way to the top as to make an
> isolation layer over the
water.

IVAN WINGATE wrote:
> The one in Melbourne, Australia, is like that. It is actually a 75m pool with two booms so it can
> have a 50m with a 25m at either end, or three 25s, or as is done for Fina World Cups, the centre
> 25 is for competition and the floor on the end 25 is raised above water level to form a stage for
> the presentations.

Do they ever open it up for swimming the whole 75-meter length? It could open up a whole new set of
world records, perfect for swimmers with bad turns.

I Hope you don't meant it personal!!!

citius altius fortius

"Chris" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...