Adjusting Avid 1D linear-pull brakes?

TomYoung

Guest
Hi all:

One of my neighbors, knowing I work on my own bikes, brought his bike
over to my house and asked if I could correct a brake rubbing problem;
the right-side shoe is way too close to the rim and rubs most of the
time.

I've never dealt with linear-pull brakes so maybe I'm missing
something, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious way to center
these brakes. There's no adjustment screw on either arm and there's
only one hole for the bottom end of the return springs to nestle into,
so it looks like physically bending one of the springs is all I'm left
with.

Is this correct??

TIA.

Tom Young

TomYoung wrote:
> One of my neighbors, knowing I work on my own bikes, brought his bike
> over to my house and asked if I could correct a brake rubbing problem;
> the right-side shoe is way too close to the rim and rubs most of the
> time.
>
> I've never dealt with linear-pull brakes so maybe I'm missing
> something, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious way to center
> these brakes. There's no adjustment screw on either arm and there's
> only one hole for the bottom end of the return springs to nestle into,
> so it looks like physically bending one of the springs is all I'm left
> with.
>
> Is this correct??

Ensure the wheel is centered and then just move the bridge. Lube/tighten
the mounting bolt so it stays centered.

If it was way off center, check the pad heights.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On May 28, 2:52 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> TomYoung wrote:
> > One of my neighbors, knowing I work on my own bikes, brought his bike
> > over to my house and asked if I could correct a brake rubbing problem;
> > the right-side shoe is way too close to the rim and rubs most of the
> > time.

> > I've never dealt with linear-pull brakes so maybe I'm missing
> > something, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious way to center
> > these brakes. There's no adjustment screw on either arm and there's
> > only one hole for the bottom end of the return springs to nestle into,
> > so it looks like physically bending one of the springs is all I'm left
> > with.

> > Is this correct??

> Ensure the wheel is centered and then just move the bridge. Lube/tighten
> the mounting bolt so it stays centered.
>
> If it was way off center, check the pad heights.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid I'm don't know what "the bridge"
is. These seem to be pretty dead-simple cantilevers: an arm on each
boss, the standard linear-pull cable setup, and that's it. What's
"the bridge?"

Tom Young

TomYoung wrote:
> On May 28, 2:52 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> TomYoung wrote:
>>> One of my neighbors, knowing I work on my own bikes, brought his bike
>>> over to my house and asked if I could correct a brake rubbing problem;
>>> the right-side shoe is way too close to the rim and rubs most of the
>>> time.
>>> I've never dealt with linear-pull brakes so maybe I'm missing
>>> something, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious way to center
>>> these brakes. There's no adjustment screw on either arm and there's
>>> only one hole for the bottom end of the return springs to nestle into,
>>> so it looks like physically bending one of the springs is all I'm left
>>> with.
>>> Is this correct??

These seem to be pretty dead-simple cantilevers: an arm on each
> boss, the standard linear-pull cable setup, and that's it.

whoops. I deleted my earlier comments about a dual-pivot not a linear brake.
Linear brakes with no adjuster, yes you are right bend one spring. Sorry.