Adjusting bearings Mavic Helium Wheels

gazelle_nl

Guest
Hi

Can anybody point me to a site with info on how to adjust the bearings on
Mavic Helium's?

Mavic apparently doesn't want us costumers to know these things.

Thanks

Gerard Remery

"gazelle_nl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> Can anybody point me to a site with info on how to adjust the bearings on
> Mavic Helium's?
>
> Mavic apparently doesn't want us costumers to know these things.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerard Remery

http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/Helium/HeliumFrontAxle.pdf
Adjust the bearing free play (install the wheel to the frame and put the
bike down on the floor) : The adjuster nut contacts the external face of the
bearing when using hub wrench M40123. Repeat the operation if the adjustment
doesn't seem to be optimum.

Bill

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "gazelle_nl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi
> >
> > Can anybody point me to a site with info on how to adjust the bearings

on
> > Mavic Helium's?
> >
> > Mavic apparently doesn't want us costumers to know these things.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gerard Remery

http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/Helium/HeliumFrontAxle.pdf
Name: "mavic-com"
PW: "dealer"
Clamp wheel in dropouts. Tighten ring with the indentations with pin wrench
that came with wheels until there is no lateral play in the wheel. Wheel
should turn freely with no binding.

> Adjust the bearing free play (install the wheel to the frame and put the
> bike down on the floor) : The adjuster nut contacts the external face of

the
> bearing when using hub wrench M40123. Repeat the operation if the

adjustment
> doesn't seem to be optimum.
>
> Bill

Thanks Bill

I found the Mavic tech site, but couldn't get into it without a password.

Gerard

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "gazelle_nl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Can anybody point me to a site with info on how to adjust the bearings

> on
> > > Mavic Helium's?
> > >
> > > Mavic apparently doesn't want us costumers to know these things.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Gerard Remery

http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/Helium/HeliumFrontAxle.pdf
> Name: "mavic-com"
> PW: "dealer"
> Clamp wheel in dropouts. Tighten ring with the indentations with pin

wrench
> that came with wheels until there is no lateral play in the wheel. Wheel
> should turn freely with no binding.
>

> > Adjust the bearing free play (install the wheel to the frame and put the
> > bike down on the floor) : The adjuster nut contacts the external face of

> the
> > bearing when using hub wrench M40123. Repeat the operation if the

> adjustment
> > doesn't seem to be optimum.
> >
> > Bill

Hi - hello from Wales !

Has anyone changed / replaced / serviced the bearings on a Mavic Helium wheelset?

I have the instructions and drawings from the Mavic tech site - http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/Helium/HeliumFrontAxle.pdf - but I am having problems.

On the Tech site it looks like they simply are removed by hand more or less falling out once axle end screw is removed.
Mine are not like that !

On the front wheel I use allen keys to remove the axle end screw easliy enough but cannot remove the bearing cover. I've tried WD40 but theres nothing there to get a decent grip on them and don't want to be too violent untill I know what I'm doing as having to buy replacement bearing covers is definately not in the plan.

I'm also hoping that once I have the bearings out and measure them I can get quality bearings from a local supplier rather than the 'Mavic Helium Bearing Kit'.

Does anyone have any ideas/advice please?

Thanks,
Chris.
Port Talbot.