Adjusting bolt on threadless headset

I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
with the star nut....

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:43:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
>the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
>they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
>adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
>thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
>use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
>current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
>just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
>with the star nut....

I'm very interested in the response to this question too.
--
JT
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
> the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
> they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
> adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
> thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
> use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
> current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
> just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
> with the star nut....

Don't think there's any good way to re-use the star nut. You, or the shop,
could put in another star nut at the right depth for your existing bolt. Or
use a longer bolt, but don't know if there's any problem with longer bolts.
Kerry

[email protected] wrote:
> I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
> the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
> they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
> adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
> thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
> use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
> current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
> just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
> with the star nut....

go to the hardware store and buy a longer bolt. no worries about length
since load, once the stem is clamped, is non-existent.

On Jun 16, 10:02 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
> > the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
> > they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
> > adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
> > thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
> > use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
> > current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
> > just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
> > with the star nut....

> go to the hardware store and buy a longer bolt. no worries about length
> since load, once the stem is clamped, is non-existent.

What he said..too bad the LBS didn't have a proper tool, that installs
the thing to the proper depth..but LBS shinnanigans(sp?) is all too
common.

[email protected] wrote:
> I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
> the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
> they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
> adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
> thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
> use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
> current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
> just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
> with the star nut....

The bolt (& cap) are only used to set the pre-load on the headset
bearing. You don't even really need them at all. Once the pre-load is
set (by whatever method) the stem locks it in.

Do whatever is easier -- drive the old star nut out & reuse (no
problem), add a new one above, buy a longer bolt, or just press down on
the stem & tighten. Doesn't really matter.

On Jun 17, 7:50 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I picked up a new fork today at my LBS. I had them cut it and install
> > the star nut. When I got home to install the fork, I noticed that
> > they had installed the star nut lower than the previous fork. So, my
> > adjusting bolt doesn't reach the star nut. Do I have to haul the
> > thing back to my LBS and have them reinstall the star nut (can you re-
> > use them?) or can I just put a longer bolt in? The length of the
> > current nut is about 35 mm - is there a maximum suggested length? It
> > just seems easier to put a new (+ 10 mm, or so) bolt in than screw
> > with the star nut....

> The bolt (& cap) are only used to set the pre-load on the headset
> bearing. You don't even really need them at all. Once the pre-load is
> set (by whatever method) the stem locks it in.
>
> Do whatever is easier -- drive the old star nut out & reuse (no
> problem)

Agree with all you said but driving it out and reusing it. Driving it
out, unless it's thru the bottom of the fork, leaves the SFN all
gooned up..just get a new one, cheap, with all the forks being carbon
steerers, most bike shops have freebies laying around, I know we do.