Adjusting cleat position and pedal tension

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Downie, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
    know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.

    Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?

    Tim
    --
    Time for a new sig.

    Tags:

  2. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:34 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
    >know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.
    >
    >Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?

    Hi Tim

    Got to Google Groups Advanced Search <http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en> and enter
    "Callas" and "cleat" as your search words.

    Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
    positions.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  3. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    James Hodson wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:34 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
    >> know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.
    >>
    >> Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?
    >>

    > Hi Tim
    >
    > Got to Google Groups Advanced Search <http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en> and enter
    > "Callas" and "cleat" as your search words.
    >
    > Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
    > positions.

    Thanks for that. A useful starting point. Looks like a fair bit of trial and error is involved.

    Cheers.

    Tim
    --
    Time for a new sig.

  4. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:17:18 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
    >> positions.
    >
    >Thanks for that. A useful starting point. Looks like a fair bit of trial and error is involved.

    Tim

    Here's a bit of text I came across when doing my own little search:

    <http://makeashorterlink.com/?H25D21F75> or in full <http://www.google.com/groups?q=Callas+cleat+gr-
    oup:uk.rec.cycling&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=MPG.160800159c65cac09896b7%40news-cent-
    ral.giganews.com&rnum=15>

    With my own SPDs I found that once I had decided on the direction in which my feet point, the
    fore/aft position of the cleat was the hardest thing to get right. I made the mistake of trying to
    be symmetrical in everything I did.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
    > know about fine-tuning the cleat position on
    the
    > shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.

    In my case attach the cleat so it's under the ball of my foot fore-and-aft wise then rotate it so my
    feet sit on the pedals at the same angle as when I stand. A bit duck like :)

    Pete