Adjusting cleat position and pedal tension

Tim Downie

Guest
Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.

Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?

Tim
--
Time for a new sig.

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:34 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
>know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.
>
>Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?

Hi Tim

Got to Google Groups Advanced Search <http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en> and enter
"Callas" and "cleat" as your search words.

Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
positions.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

James Hodson wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:34 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
>> know about fine-tuning the cleat position on the shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.
>>
>> Any words of wisdom for a SPD neophyte?
>>

> Hi Tim
>
> Got to Google Groups Advanced Search <http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en> and enter
> "Callas" and "cleat" as your search words.
>
> Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
> positions.

Thanks for that. A useful starting point. Looks like a fair bit of trial and error is involved.

Cheers.

Tim
--
Time for a new sig.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:17:18 +0100, "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Callas used to post in this NG and I recall him writing here a couple of years ago about cleat
>> positions.
>
>Thanks for that. A useful starting point. Looks like a fair bit of trial and error is involved.

Tim

Here's a bit of text I came across when doing my own little search:

<http://makeashorterlink.com/?H25D21F75> or in full <http://www.google.com/groups?q=Callas+cleat+gr-
oup:uk.rec.cycling&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=MPG.160800159c65cac09896b7%40news-cent-
ral.giganews.com&rnum=15>

With my own SPDs I found that once I had decided on the direction in which my feet point, the
fore/aft position of the cleat was the hardest thing to get right. I made the mistake of trying to
be symmetrical in everything I did.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okay, I'm enjoying my new Shimano SPD pedals but I'm wondering now if there's anything I ought to
> know about fine-tuning the cleat position on
the
> shoes and the spring retainers on the pedals.

In my case attach the cleat so it's under the ball of my foot fore-and-aft wise then rotate it so my
feet sit on the pedals at the same angle as when I stand. A bit duck like :)

Pete