Adjusting Indexed rear gears

Ian

Guest
Hi

Has anyone an easy step by step for this.

Tried using the advice on Sheldon Browns site - by adjusting
the barrel at the shifter. Was not sure if counter clockwise
was looking at barrel while on bike or while facing shifter.
But now it takes two clicks to go to second smallest cog so
have obviously got it wrong. Now worse than when I started.
Completely frustrated now.

Have searched web.

not sure how to search the group using OE, sorry - newbie

Any help appreciated

frustrated in scotland

Ian wrote:

> Has anyone an easy step by step for this.

I only adjust using the barrel on the derailleur itself.
This is my method (YMMV):

1 - Make sure you are in your biggest gear (big front, small
back) 2 - Turn all adjusters (front and back) clockwise so
that the cable is at its loosest 3 - Shift up down one gear
-- your derailleur should not move. 4 - Turn the barrel one
stop at a time until the chain shifts 5 - Turn one more
click (should be very few clicks) at a time until the chain
is running smoothly on its sprocket 6 - That should be it

You have one enemy with indexed shifting and that's
friction.

Three causes.
1. Dirty cable housing.
2. Kink in cable housing or wire jutting in at end.
3. Too little cable housing making the final or other loop
too tight. Use plenty of housing, the right type. Make
sure there's nothing causing friction. After that it's
fairly easy

In article <[email protected]>, Ian
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Any help appreciated

> frustrated in scotland

With the number of bare midriffs around just now I am not
surprised that you are frustrated:)

If you get totally stuck email your phone number and I'll
call you back after 6.00pm tomorrow and talk you through it.

hth

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global
Village http://www.millport.net

Ian wrote:
> Tried using the advice on Sheldon Browns site - by
> adjusting the barrel at the shifter. Was not sure if
> counter clockwise was looking at barrel while on bike or
> while facing shifter.

Imagine the adjuster is a normal screw. Undoing it makes the
cable tighter which moves the derailleur nearer the next
largest sprocket, and vice versa. If the chain is hesitant
to change to a larger sprocket then tighten the cable a bit
and repeat if necessary. Conversely, loosen the cable if the
derailleur tends to go too far.

~PB

Thanks guys.

Looks as though the cable housing has become damaged
(split), to be honest probably due to me concentrating on
just adjusting front barrel and completely disregarding rear
fitting. Going to try and get replacement today and try
again tonight. Hope it comes pre cut etc. A costly minor
adjustment no doubt!

Ian

bare midriffs AT ??? - nothing so exotic on east coast

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> Has anyone an easy step by step for this.
>
> Tried using the advice on Sheldon Browns site - by
> adjusting the barrel at the shifter. Was not sure if
> counter clockwise was looking at barrel while on bike or
> while facing shifter. But now it takes two clicks to go to
> second smallest cog so have obviously got it wrong. Now
> worse than when I started. Completely frustrated now.
>
> Have searched web.
>
> not sure how to search the group using OE, sorry - newbie
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> frustrated in scotland

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> not sure how to search the group using OE, sorry - newbie

To search this or any other NewsGroup for help on any topic
you need to check through Google Groups.

Google keep a running archive of all postings to most
Groups, which they took over from Deja - except where
posters choose a no archive option.

This is the Google Groups main page

http://www.google.com/grphp

This is the current uk.rec.cycling Google page -

short version using http://tinyurl.com/create.php

http://tinyurl.com/38a82

full version (which won't wrap)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-
8&safe=off&group=uk .rec.cycling

(maybe one to add to favourites)

select the left hand option button to seach only u.r.c or
the middle one to search groups.

and enter your search term in the box.

The advance search options are also very useful.

Posts usually appear on the archive between 4 and 6 hours
after they're posted.

You can also post through Google btw, if your NewsServer is
having problems. Just choose the reply to this message
option at the bottom of any message for details. You need to
send them a post using a valid email address to start, and
that's about it.

> Any help appreciated
>
> frustrated in scotland

Curious

Ian wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Looks as though the cable housing has become damaged
> (split), to be honest probably due to me concentrating on
> just adjusting front barrel and completely disregarding
> rear fitting. Going to try and get replacement today and
> try again tonight. Hope it comes pre cut etc. A costly
> minor adjustment no doubt!

Nah, one of the cheapest. Pay attention to exactly how the
cable passes through the derailler before you unclip it.
When you replace the cable, the bike should be in the
highest rear gear (smallest cog). Pull the cable tight while
you tighten the retaining nut (there should always be *some*
tension in the cable). Put the barrel adjusters back into a
sensible default position before you re-secure the cable.

Re-read Sheldon Brown - adjusting deraillers is quite
straightforward one you understand what all the various
components do.

If you can't get housing pre-cut to the correct length, then
I've recently found out that the cutting wheel on a Dremel a
good way to cut it.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Looks as though the cable housing has become damaged
> (split), to be honest probably due to me concentrating on
> just adjusting front barrel and completely disregarding
> rear fitting. Going to try and get replacement today and
> try again tonight. Hope it comes pre cut etc. A costly
> minor adjustment no doubt!

Unfortunately there is not a standard length for outer cable
so you will have to cut it to size. If you do not have a
good cable cutter it could be worth asking the LBS to sell
you one. A moment of pain, but worth it in the long run.
Alternatively take your bike along and see if they will cut
the cables to matching lengths for you with their super
workshop cutters. Fit new inners while you're at it, and ask
the LBS to give you a few of the little protective caps to
crimp onto the cut ends.

--
Dave...

Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive
measure if it were administered prior to the crime. —
Woody Allen