Adjusting Screws in Rear Drop-outs

Neil Smith

Guest
Dear All,
for various reasons I intend to get rid of the adjusting screws in the
rear drop-outs. They have been sitting there, unadjusted and unadjustable,
for many a decade. I can't imagine that there removal would cause any
problems, can anyone else?
Thanks
Neil.

Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> for various reasons I intend to get rid of the adjusting screws in
> the rear drop-outs. They have been sitting there, unadjusted and
> unadjustable, for many a decade. I can't imagine that there removal
> would cause any problems, can anyone else?

Well... assuming they are correctly adjusted, and this is a derailleur bike,
they ensure that the axle lands parallel when you put the wheel back in the
frame. So, even if somewhat rusted into place, they are still doing their
job correctly decades after installation.

Take them out, and what do you use to align your rear wheel ? Answer, look
by eye, which works, but its more effort and can go wrong. And if you are
seeking grams saved, chop the ends off your shoelaces instead !

I have older bikes with and without adjuster screws. I prefer with. I also
have newer bikes with vertical drop outs, and those are even easier to refit
wheels.

If its a fixed or hub gear, then they could help with chain tension after a
wheel change as well as alignment, though a tug would be a better option for
tension. However in that case, they are unlikely to be rusted solid as they
would be used regularly.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> for various reasons I intend to get rid of the adjusting screws in
> the rear drop-outs. They have been sitting there, unadjusted and
> unadjustable, for many a decade. I can't imagine that there removal
> would cause any problems, can anyone else?

No, you can manage without by holding the wheel in the desired position by
hand as you tighten the QR or nuts.

~PB

The problem is the tubing is very close to the smallest sprocket - it is the
first time that I have put an 8 speed cassette on. I normally align by eye
using the tyres and the frame. So it would seem to be safe to remove.
Thanks
news:[email protected]...