adjusting single pivot brakes

tepidarium

Nov 21, 2003
Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time adjusting my single pivot campy brakes. I have done a search on the forum for single pivot brakes and I'm not sure I understand the required adjustment.

My problems are:

1. One caliper arm doesn't really move while the other does
2. After I "center" the brake and tighten the bolt, when I engage the brake, the brake goes out of center again with the arm that doesn't move back dragging on the rim.

I have taken the following steps to correct this problem:

Center the brake and *really* tighten the bolt.
Lube the spring contacts, lube the caliper where it pivots

I have done an internet search and found this:
Jobst Brandt explanation

I am not quite sure that I understand exactly what should be lubed here but I think I've done it with no change.

Anyone have any more advice?

Thanks to all. :)

engage a suitably flat wrench, a cone wrench or a wrench made for rhis purpose (they had a 90 degree opening) to the flats on the pivot whilst tightening and align as needed.
a serrated washer will serve well to counteract the predisposition to creep these things have.
with the advent of the dual pivot, perhaps is this arcane?

tepidarium said:
Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time adjusting my single pivot campy brakes. I have done a search on the forum for single pivot brakes and I'm not sure I understand the required adjustment.

My problems are:

1. One caliper arm doesn't really move while the other does
2. After I "center" the brake and tighten the bolt, when I engage the brake, the brake goes out of center again with the arm that doesn't move back dragging on the rim.

I have taken the following steps to correct this problem:

Center the brake and *really* tighten the bolt.
Lube the spring contacts, lube the caliper where it pivots

I have done an internet search and found this:
Jobst Brandt explanation

I am not quite sure that I understand exactly what should be lubed here but I think I've done it with no change.

Anyone have any more advice?

Thanks to all. :)

Hypnospin said:
engage a suitably flat wrench, a cone wrench or a wrench made for rhis purpose (they had a 90 degree opening) to the flats on the pivot whilst tightening and align as needed.
a serrated washer will serve well to counteract the predisposition to creep these things have.
with the advent of the dual pivot, perhaps is this arcane?

Thanks for your response. I think I figured it out. As you said, I used a cone wrench to tweak the adjustment nut on the single pivot. I did this while loosening and the steadying the bolt in the brake bridge. It seems to be ok now.