Adjusting suspension??

insane

Feb 25, 2010
Woooooo! Hello dear Cycling Forum, it’s me insane the noob with my cheapo bike with yet another question!
Before I ask the question, I’d like to let you guys know i swapped my entire groupset after encountering problems with my shifter and a pedal arm that consistently fell off [yes literally my friend was cycling behind me at that time], the crank was a sh*tty one anyway. Shimano baby!
So here’s the deal nearing certain bends after long stretches of roads there are “Slow Down” strips. And this are slightly elevated strips of paint, the idea is to slow-down fast moving engine powered motor vehicles. [This is very tiring on the legs with the slowing down, butt lifting off the seat, and peddling back to normal cadence.] So I would like to know if there is any way to adjust my suspension. Which I guess is both spring-based. Now pics to stimulate your thinking caps!
LGIM0037.jpg

A overall pic of the frame, you can see the rear suspension.
LGIM0039-1.jpg

A pic of my cheapo front suspension
LGIM0044.jpg

A pic of the nuts and stuff you can prolly turn to adjust some stuff.
Well I’m open to all suggestions except those involving a purchase of new parts [bank account is nearly empty T_T]. And since it’s the holidays I can try meddling with the tunings and stuff.

And what is it that you want to do, exactly?

Get the bike to ride softer, so that you can remain seated over the speed bumps?
Get the bike to ride harder, so that you don't lose that much pedalling energy into the suspension?
If you look at the rear there's a knurled disc at one end of the spring. You can try turning this one down against the spring to see if it does anything. You might also try fitting a spring with another spring rate. Those are available for more expensive rear shocks, but maybe the size is close enough so that you can use one too.
You can also try moving the forward attachment point to the lowest hole. If you want it to go softer, do the opposite. Don't expect too much from it though.

For the front there's no telling w/o knowing what's lurking inside those fork legs.

if the adjustment mechanism (lockout/travel/rebound) isnt obvious, you might need to get a new pair of suspension forks that are adjustable.

As dabac said, turn the knurled nut above the spring to adjust the rear suspension. Clockwise will stiffen the suspension, counter will soften it.

Same concept with the front fork. Turn the adjusting nuts on the top of the fork legs to adjust the front suspension. More than likely, clockwise will stiffen the suspension and counter will soften it. Adjust both fork leg nuts so they are in the same position.

If none of that solves your problems, adjust the air pressure in your tires to suit.

Looking at the pics, rear adjustment is as others have described. The front is not adjustable...those top caps look like hole fillers and nothing more.

Your suspension will work with big bumps but the 'stiction' in the front will not be overcome by small ripples. Let the front tyre do that by having a little less than the max tyre pressure. Think about how the non-suspension riders cope...they do!